Adrian Hockey 2009-10: A New Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Hockey 2009-10: A New Hope

Cue the Imperial March. We're back. It's Season 3.

All of the waiting and wondering of the past is over. This year, it's cut and dried. Win the MCHA tournament in our own arena and we seal our bid to the NCAA tournament. There it is. It's all out in front of us.

As for the MCHA season, this team is loaded and I expect this team to run through the conference again. I'm not sure if we're looking at 20-0 again, but I don't think we're too far off. There may be a night where the concentration is a little off, where an opposing goaltender plays out of his mind and his team gets a couple of lucky bounces in front of him. It could happen.

As for the non-conference schedule, it's much different . We get a look at St. John's, Concordia and a series at Hamline, all within region. The other big one is the game at Oswego on January 8. I think that might be the most anticipated non-conference game in D-III this year. Me, I'm not nearly as concerned with that game as I would have been the last two years. If we get that one, great. If not, well, we'll have our shot to prove ourselves by winning the MCHA tourney and doing something in the NCAA's.

Shawn Skelly and Eric Miller return to the top line, but I'm not sure who is going to center them, as Adam Krug graduated, and Mike Leone lit out for St. Louis. Leone's loss also could affect the production of Mike Dahlinger, as he seemed to really take off after Leone's arrival. Joel Workman and Mike Towns really improved greatly as last season wore on, and I'd expect that they'll continue to get better. Quinn Waller and Jeremy Klaver also return to lead the defensemen, and Brad Fogal will likely again be the #1 goaltender.

My biggest concerns are getting the new centers to gel with the talent around them, and the loss of Adam Krug's production, and more importantly, his leadership. This is a veteran team that has played together for a while, so someone will likely step into those roles.

Put this team on the power play, and they're deadly. However, they do need to cut down on the PIM they're taking themselves (duly noted and point conceded, Remy). If they do that, they'll be fine.

It's all here in front of us, and it's all in our hands. Let the season begin.

Prediction: 25-3-1 (19-1 in league play), MCHA champions (both regular season and tournament), loss in the NCAA quarterfinals after winning a first round game, both in close fashion.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-17-2009, 07:44 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Adrian Hockey 2009-10: A New Hope

how ya think ya gonna do against Oswego??? should b a fun game..

Comment

I want to get another look at this team before I comment further. I have no doubt that it's going to be one helluva game. To be continued...

God, that was fun...

Comment

Season 3 looks like a great schedule.
        With an AQ on the line I expect the boys to be really primed with renewed focus.

I'm exited to see how the new recruits will fit into the program.
        Will they contibute and be every day players... or need time to develope ?

Comment

The one thing I'm concerned about is this: last year the players knew that any slip-up whatsoever in the MCHA and their tournament hopes were done. Turns out that not even that was enough. In the back of their minds now, they know that winning the MCHA tournament is the only way that they're getting into the tournament, and if they do win that, their ticket to the tournament is punched. I wonder if there's going to be a slip or mental letdown some night, where, say, a Marian or an MSOE catches them on an off-night.

The non-conference games now are just a measuring stick, nothing more and nothing less.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Hammer

Given the travel distances, you may as well not return to campus if you win the prelim round. Otherwise you may run into the Fredonia Flop (or the Clarkson Collapse of '91) tired legs in round 2.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Hammer

Given the travel distances, you may as well not return to campus if you win the prelim round. Otherwise you may run into the Fredonia Flop (or the Clarkson Collapse of '91) tired legs in round 2.
              I'm sure financing the best possible solution won't be an issue for ol' money bags over there in Michigan.

"He'll do whatever it takes..."
              Avalanche Hockey --- "No one beats us on a pond"

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                Cue the Imperial March. We're back. It's Season 3.
                ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8ZTTsiJupo&hl=en&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8ZTTsiJupo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The one thing I'm concerned about is this: last year the players knew that any slip-up whatsoever in the MCHA and their tournament hopes were done. Turns out that not even that was enough. In the back of their minds now, they know that winning the MCHA tournament is the only way that they're getting into the tournament, and if they do win that, their ticket to the tournament is punched. I wonder if there's going to be a slip or mental letdown some night, where, say, a Marian or an MSOE catches them on an off-night.

The non-conference games now are just a measuring stick, nothing more and nothing less.
                  With Skelly on the team I don't think be able let down. Maybe this will allow them to play like they did with a 2 goal lead from the start of the game.

Comment

I am not concerned a bit. They lost 2 guys who could put the put in the net consistently every night in Krug & Leone. Having said that Coach Forgarty worked some of his magic and replaced them with another couple of strong snipers.
                    I was talking to a couple of the BullDogs and they felt that they were going to be a much stonger team this compared to the 27-1-1 version of last year.
                    Who knows what that means. Let's just get the season started.
                    I am really looking forward to the Oswego game. I think that would be a great road trip to do and catch a couple of other games while in the area.

Comment

Interesting season preview out from Adrian. It includes line pairings and specifies a few other things as well. It's a good thing I have such a bias. That tingly twitching in my leg and and my Adrian beeper pinging away incessantly allow me to be quick on these things.

Miller-Graham-Skelly
                      Watson-Dovey-Dahlinger
                      Kuzyk-Houston-Towns
                      Satterly-Barkwell-Young

Stansik-Waller
                      Klaver-Crawford
                      Hineman-XXX

Fogal

Workman, Frieday, Gertsatkis, Hodnicki, Galia, Hughes, Renaud, Roman, Courtney, Gallinger all fighting for time.

Fiorillo and Bailen did not return.

http://adrianbulldogs.cstv.com/sport...101909aaa.html
                      Last edited by Matthew Webb; 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM.
                      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Well, after what I saw today, I'd say that Workman is probably ahead of Young in terms of getting playing time.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Fan bus to U-18 game next Saturday is $4. Call Kate at 265-5161
                          ext 5011 for reservations.

Comment

Someone told me last night that the U-18 team smacked Utica 10-1. Uh-oh...

God, that was fun...

Comment

Someone told me last night that the U-18 team smacked Utica 10-1. Uh-oh...
                              U-18 team must have brought there A team.

Comment

Working...
                              X