Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daddy, why is this sport so different from the others??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daddy, why is this sport so different from the others??

From our "friends" in the NCAA:

Cabinet deletes hockey from professionalism proposal

Oct 15, 2009 8:51:33 AM
    The NCAA News

The Division I Amateurism Cabinet has excluded men’s ice hockey from a legislative proposal intended to loosen restrictions on prospective student-athletes who participate on teams with a teammate who is paid.

The men’s ice hockey community – including USA Hockey, the coaches association and several conferences – believed that Proposal No. 2009-22 could negatively affect the sport at the NCAA level. They believe that allowing men’s ice hockey student-athletes who participate on teams with paid teammates would open the door to participate in Major Junior A hockey, which current rules prohibit. Major Junior A is a competitive league overseen by the Canadian Hockey League, generally recognized as a professional league for players between 16 and 20 years old.

Proposal No. 2009-22 targets what some have called “vicarious professionalism,” a circumstance that professionalizes prospects who participate on teams with professional athletes, even if the prospects are not paid more than actual and necessary expenses.

The ice hockey community believes that prospects who wish to participate in NCAA hockey would choose to participate in Major Junior A hockey before coming to college, and the recruit could be influenced to take action that could jeopardize his eligibility at the NCAA level (taking more than actual and necessary expenses, signing with an agent or signing a professional contract that provides more than actual and necessary expenses). Additionally, time demands of participation in the Major Junior A hockey league could hurt a recruit’s academic performance.

The cabinet agreed and will modify its proposal to exclude men’s ice hockey. The measure will receive initial consideration at the Legislative Council meeting at the NCAA Convention in January.
    And European basketball isn't?? Give me a break!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Daddy, why is this sport so different from the others??

Oh brother.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      And European basketball isn't?? Give me a break!
      Wait, there's basketball in Europe? I thought all Europeans did was play soccer and get drunk at soccer games
      @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
      I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Silly Boosh. They also stab each other at soccer games.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

It is because North Dakota is actually part of Canada, and the NCAA is trying to help them become more like Americans, and less racist by forcing them to actually have 1 or 2 Americans on their team every decade or so. God Bless Myles Brand.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            It is because North Dakota is actually part of Canada, and the NCAA is trying to help them become more like Americans, and less racist by forcing them to actually have 1 or 2 Americans on their team every decade or so. God Bless Myles Brand.
            Who would have thought the NCAA would base a policy solely on one school that supposedly no one cares about? Quite the honor.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Major is generally recognized as a professional league it says.....by who, exactly, besides the Ivory Tower?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Let's figure out why everyone is against this:

USA Hockey: The USHL would lose its stature as the #1 NCAA recruitment destination. Gotta protect your house. The NTDP kids would be skipping Ann Arbor for the MJ route before the NCAA (or the NHL). Would the CHL expand into the USA and have more USA kids on the rosters? Can't have that (not that I blame them).

Various conferences: Gee, wanna guess which ones? $5 says it was the ECAC and AHA. They'd be totally second rate with the major junior kids headed to the big conferences. They don't exactly get the USHL kids now and do they go gallavanting around the CHL rinks to recruit??

Coaches: Well let's see. The CHL has a scholly program for its players if they don't play pro after juniors. Competition? Too much travel to get the blue chippahs?

NCAA: Tainted? And what about the European basketball recruit who is playing for his club team and hanging around ex NBA players and European lifers. Yea, he's going to avoid all the tempations and stay pure. Horse hockey.

Academics: Oh get off your high horse, NCAA. Look at the APR of your Sweet 16 (tm) basketball teams. Yea, sure they are busy studying.

IMO, this was turf protection at its best.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                X