This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread Part the One

hey guys, i am a SLU fan. i played hockey with and went to school with a kid who plays on your team called wade meagen. i was wondering if people could fill me in on how he is doing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by radway06 View Post
      hey guys, i am a SLU fan. i played hockey with and went to school with a kid who plays on your team called wade meagen. i was wondering if people could fill me in on how he is doing this year.
      I think he's going to be a good player at the college level, but I haven't seen it quite yet. I think he needs to get stronger...I feel like he loses a lot of battles for the puck in deep. Small sample size though and all the freshman are still learning to play with the older guys and vice versa...Still need a bigger sample size though.
      Slaw. Counter-Slaw.

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
        I agree with the back-and-forth being the most amazing set of chants. It needs to be expanded. Pick a player every single game to do the 'Arnold' to several times a game. Boo certain players whenever they touch the puck. The 'Dirty Laundry' list doesn't get read by everyone who has it on their seat, but if enough people get it at the beginning everyone will catch on eventually.
        I had a thought that 108 could "continue" every chant, as in repeat as soon as 118 finishes it, instead of the current 1 second delay repeat. It seems...inefficient to be doing a terrible "round" version of every chant we do between the two sections since 108 tends to do every chant 1 second after 118 (but I acknowledge they do their own independent ones too). The "Arnold" chant was great, and the goalie-sieve chant has potential (need to figure out how to get everyone to end it properly though).

Comment

Originally posted by Sect8RowESeat15 View Post
          I think he's going to be a good player at the college level, but I haven't seen it quite yet. I think he needs to get stronger...I feel like he loses a lot of battles for the puck in deep. Small sample size though and all the freshman are still learning to play with the older guys and vice versa...Still need a bigger sample size though.
          The bright side is that he is actually going in for those battles in the first place. The effort is there, we need more of that forecheck intensity from some of the other guys.

The defense has been highlighted as a weak spot so far in the team, and that's certainly true, however if we're worried about shot totals, etc., there are many factors. Obviously faceoffs have been talked about ad nauseum for a while, and the numbers are disgusting. Parker was asked about them in his press conference after the last game and basically said they're about confidence. If we can win a better percentage of those, less scoring chances for the opposition. Secondly, less stupid penalties. Not rocket science, when we're down a man we'll likely face better chances, not to mention tire out specific players. And lastly, that previously mentioned forecheck. I believe Parker highlighted the poor effort on forecheck being a problem with this team, and when you can't get the puck in the offensive and keep it there for any stretch, you're going to be on your heels defensively for more of the game. In summary, it's not just the defense. We have lots of problems.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

I agree with the back-and-forth being the most amazing set of chants. It needs to be expanded. Pick a player every single game to do the 'Arnold' to several times a game. Boo certain players whenever they touch the puck. The 'Dirty Laundry' list doesn't get read by everyone who has it on their seat, but if enough people get it at the beginning everyone will catch on eventually.
            This. All of it. I tried suggesting the "pick a player to boo" strategy last year and it never caught on. I think it would be hilarious.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Thanks for the input all, I don't want to start this topic too often for those of you that find it annoying but if you guys ever have any input we'd appreciate just a quick mention on here or in person.

And CC not sure if you were aware but the Dirty Laundry List is distributed en masse this year (generally 300-400 copies per game) and on either every seat or every other so anyone who wants to read one (and I'm sure many who don't ) gets a copy

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                And CC not sure if you were aware but the Dirty Laundry List is distributed en masse this year (generally 300-400 copies per game) and on either every seat or every other so anyone who wants to read one (and I'm sure many who don't ) gets a copy
                Yep, I did hear about this, good step.
                Boston University 2009 Champs
                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  Thanks for the input all, I don't want to start this topic too often for those of you that find it annoying but if you guys ever have any input we'd appreciate just a quick mention on here or in person.

Just a warning- Heading down to the press conference on Saturday night, we went down the stairs next to 118, and I would say about half of those 300-400 copies were just lying on the ground. Obviously, I have no problem with this as it in no way affects me, but I have to imagine it's only a matter of time before the Agganazis say something about all the trash. If I'm not mistaken, they said something about it at one point last year.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                    Just a warning- Heading down to the press conference on Saturday night, we went down the stairs next to 118, and I would say about half of those 300-400 copies were just lying on the ground. Obviously, I have no problem with this as it in no way affects me, but I have to imagine it's only a matter of time before the Agganazis say something about all the trash. If I'm not mistaken, they said something about it at one point last year.
                    I actually doubt they will because they pay student groups to clean up the arena after games.
                    time to write new history

Comment

No, nothing Jack Edwards-related. Ever. We need to keep our sanity during a high pressure PK.

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8gEfh4L0_0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8gEfh4L0_0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">
                      What a putz... Go Orange and Black!

Comment

My input on cheering, and the Ole cheer in particular: I am admittedly only one weak voice in 119 so I can't do much about this, but my recommendation is that one strong voice step up and cheer really loudly from 118. I know this sounds obvious, but I have wasted multiple PK's this season being distracted from the ice and frantically scanning 118 looking for mouths moving so that I can catch on and cheer along. If there was a loud voice that a good number of people could hear, then enough people would chime in (in unison! what a novel concept!) and the noise would grow and make it easier for the student section as a whole to follow along.

The shorter, simpler chants don't seem to have as much of a problem, and I know the fate of this cheer in controversial, but I personally like it. Like I said above I'm not the loudest voice but I'll cheer to the best of my ability. The Miami /Bemidji/mixed fans that surrounded my friends and I in DC were always confused at our relentless Ole-ing, but we didn't care. It's weird and we like it, so we cheer it. As long as I can hear it, I'll continue to cheer it.

As far as other cheers, I love the creativity going on this season. Everyone else has said it, but the Arnold incident was beyond great. And I really enjoy all chants that go between 108 and 118. The only thing that concerns me is how many times do we go back and forth with the goalie-sieve? Because it starts to die out and get pathetic because people don't know when to end it. Maybe a note should be added to the next Dirty Laundry about that. And is that a cheer than ends with "Parkerrrrrrrrr" ? If not, it should be. Every cheer that ends with Parker is ok in my book.

And this is where I end my rambling about chants. I may be a new poster, but I've spent enough time on here to know that you talk about fans/cheering/students when you want to avoid talking about what's going on on the ice. We're no where near that point, so as you were...

Is anyone else concerned about the number of injuries haunting this team?

Comment

its been obvious for two seasons.... the secret to the Ole chant is KEEPING IT SLOW we just need to figure out a way for one of the small groups that seem to lead different areas of 118 to be responsible for the WHOLE section instead of COMPETING all the time.

teamwork, teamwork, teamwork...
                          lets play hockey

Comment

A few weeks ago, it was Chris Higgins and Miami's Kevin Roeder buddying up as members of the Syracuse Crunch. Now, Brandon Yip's AHL roommate and new BFF is Miami's Justin Mercier. Link.

Please don't tell me that Boomer and Mac are rooming with Brock Bradford in Rockford.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              A few weeks ago, it was Chris Higgins and Miami's Kevin Roeder buddying up as members of the Syracuse Crunch. Now, Brandon Yip's AHL roommate and new BFF is Miami's Justin Mercier. Link.

Please don't tell me that Boomer and Mac are rooming with Brock Bradford in Rockford.
                              Bradford is another of Yip's teammates in Lake Erie.
                              "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
                                Bradford is another of Yip's teammates in Lake Erie.
                                That should been Dan Bertram. All those B's get confusing.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X