X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread Part the One

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Why was Colby taking faceoffs?
    had to be 3x5 and the fwd got waved. (or 4x5 and two got tossed )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
      I won't lie to you defkit. Since I started watching BU Hockey I have always wondered why we are so bad on faceoffs.

Colin Wilson was ok with us, now he's in the NHL and he's 50-50. In the NHL!

Seems a bit odd, right?
      I disagree with one point, Colin was excellent with us. As the chart says, he was at 55% last year and I remember him being really good his freshman year as well.

But I do agree that for the most part, my years as a BU fan have been marked by mediocre at best faceoff guys, which can be very frustrating when you're trying to make it out of a hole and not gaining those easy possessions in the offensive zone.
      I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Forwards:
        Zach Cohen-Nick Bonino-Alex Chiasson
        Chris Connolly-Corey Trivino-Joe Pereira
        Wade Megan-Luke Popko-Vinny Saponari
        Andrew Glass-Ryan Santana-Kevin Gilroy

Defense:
        Colby Cohen-Kevin Shattenkirk
        Sean Escobedo-Max Nicastro
        David Warsofsky-Eric Gryba

The lines during practice. Interesting shakeup.

Looks like the two bruisers paired with the playmaker on the top line, two speedsters with Trivino, and Saponari put on the third line. Popko still confuses me, he seems like a good guy for the 4th line.

I am very surprised with how well Santana has done. Didn't have him figured into the BU lineup but he's impressed so far.
        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

the talk about faceoffs is interesting... a lot of you seem to think BU has stunk in the faceoff circle for many years. At what time do you put the start date for this phenomenon? early 2000s?

as an aside, I remember in the '95 national title game the thing that impressed me the most was that it seemed like BU won at least 2/3 of the faceoffs, and ended up outshooting Maine 39-23 or something like that. from watching the game I felt that the faceoffs and resulting shot advantage was the main reason we won that day. Faceoffs are certainly a big part of the game.
          Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

I started watching in '97, and seem to remember it being a problem then too...

Course, the 'traditional slow start to the season' is also a recurring problem save for last year... so we might be back to old tricks?
            Boston University Hockey
            1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Once again BU never fails to dissapoint.

Has anyone tried to email their tickets to a friend this year?

Instead of receiving a .pdf with the tickets, the person you are sending tickets to now has to create an agganis account and log in prior to printing out tickets. Nothing like adding another step to the process and making things more difficult for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BU-Grad View Post
                as an aside, I remember in the '95 national title game the thing that impressed me the most was that it seemed like BU won at least 2/3 of the faceoffs, and ended up outshooting Maine 39-23 or something like that. from watching the game I felt that the faceoffs and resulting shot advantage was the main reason we won that day. Faceoffs are certainly a big part of the game.
                First goal (video) in that title game by Steve Thornton. I haven't seen a move like this by Terrier since that game. Both of his wings were All-Americans that year, yet Thornton was voted MVP. This is one of the reasons why. Two other centers on that team, Jacques Joubert and Shawn Bates were strong on faceoffs, too.

Another nice goal off a faceoff was McGuirk's to win the 2007 Beanpot in overtime. But those are pretty unique results. What you want more of are faceoff wins like Wilson's in the FF semi vs. UVM that produced a quick, strong shot by Yip and Wilson went to the net to clean up the rebound. Or something that happened frequently when Brian Collins was at BU. Clean draw win back to Meyer who'd drift to his right and fire a shot on goal while Collins and a wing would crash the net.

And in the d-zone, especially killing a penalty, more wins are critical.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

For those interested, I will be signing copies of Burn The Boats at a table near the concession stand from 6-7 p.m. before tomorrow's game.
                  SW

www.buhockeybook.com

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    Once again BU never fails to dissapoint.

Has anyone tried to email their tickets to a friend this year?

Instead of receiving a .pdf with the tickets, the person you are sending tickets to now has to create an agganis account and log in prior to printing out tickets. Nothing like adding another step to the process and making things more difficult for everyone.

Done it twice so far and haven't heard anything like that from the recipients.

Comment

Originally posted by weighart View Post
                      For those interested, I will be signing copies of Burn The Boats at a table near the concession stand from 6-7 p.m. before tomorrow's game.
                      SW

www.buhockeybook.com
                      I got it and finished it the same day. It was a solid fun read. At times it felt like your play by play was a bit rambling.

The formatting was off, it seemed like your indents were very inconsistent but the content was superb.
                      Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 10-23-2009, 06:23 PM.
                      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

woo hoo! we didn't lose tonight

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                          I think you have the wrong game - that was BU-Michigan in the season opening tournament in Ohio.

This is the game:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSva...er_profilepage
                          http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20041...me=bu&gender=m
                          This one is special to me since it was my first BU hockey game.
                          Thank you for posting this. I did indeed miss this game. What a classy move by York to have his kids shake Jack's hand. Stuff like that makes it harder to hate him/them.

And how awesome is Emrick?
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            ....What a classy move by York to have his kids shake Jack's hand. Stuff like that makes it harder to hate him....
                            without any doubt, he is the best. (of course i can never say this out loud. )

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              without any doubt, he is the best. (of course i can never say this out loud. )
                              It's like being a Red Sox fan and trying to hate Jeter. You just can't.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                                It's like being a Red Sox fan and trying to hate Jeter. You just can't.
                                Speak for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X