Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten conference discussed, rejected

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Did they own the rights to air those games?
    When the original CCHA TV schedule came out, the BTN was scheduled to air the Michigan vs. Minnesota game. That was later changed to Fox Sports North. I'm not sure what the broadcast pecking order is, though, if Fox Sports gets first dibs on all game or if the BTN gets dibs on any game involving Big Ten teams, and if that's why it changed or if the BTN simply dropped it.

Wasn't Saturday's MSU/Minn game broadcast on the BTN's website (for a fee)? I'm sure they could have aired that on TV, even tape delayed, if they wanted.
    Michigan Hockey Net
    Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

If minnesota has a brain we'll fight as hard as we can to prevent the Big Ten from having any broadcast rights to those games.

The Big Ten doesn't give two ****s about hockey and would probably end up wrecking all that is good about it. Less coverage, less promotions, and therefore crappier exposure. Less exposure = dead sport or relegation to The Ocho.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
        When the original CCHA TV schedule came out, the BTN was scheduled to air the Michigan vs. Minnesota game. That was later changed to Fox Sports North. I'm not sure what the broadcast pecking order is, though, if Fox Sports gets first dibs on all game or if the BTN gets dibs on any game involving Big Ten teams, and if that's why it changed or if the BTN simply dropped it.

Wasn't Saturday's MSU/Minn game broadcast on the BTN's website (for a fee)? I'm sure they could have aired that on TV, even tape delayed, if they wanted.
        What I don't get is 49% of the BTN is owned by Fox(51% Big Ten) so if the BTN has something more interesting to air, why not drop it to a Fox Sports regional channel?

Comment

Comley: "Wisconsin ... prefer(s) a Big Ten Conference."

I believe the lion's share of the Wisconsin fans do not prefer a BTN conference. I believe Eaves has been quoted as not in favor of the BTN. IF both of those are true, then we are left with Wisconsin = Alvarez.

Is that overstating the case?

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post

I believe the lion's share of the Wisconsin fans do not prefer a BTN conference. I believe Eaves has been quoted as not in favor of the BTN. IF both of those are true, then we are left with Wisconsin = Alvarez.

has Barry ever even watched a hockey game?
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Probably. Would it make sense for Badgers fans that are indeed against the Big Televen to start a little e-mail campaign to Alvarez, just so he knows what the people who pay at least a part of his salary think?
              Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Larch View Post
                Probably. Would it make sense for Badgers fans that are indeed against the Big Televen to start a little e-mail campaign to Alvarez, just so he knows what the people who pay at least a part of his salary think?
                That's where I was going with this. But first I'm looking for contrary evidence to the hypothesis: "Only Alvarez thinks this is a good idea."

Comment

Not sure if there's an Eaves quote floating around anywhere. The original article on the topic from Andy Baggot said that Eaves wasn't in favor of Wisconsin jumping from the WCHA to the CCHA, as was rumored during the BTHC talks should plans for the conference not materialize.

The article said Alvarez and UW senior associate athletic director Sean Frazier share "major concerns" about the overall health and direction of D-I hockey, so it's not just Barry who wants to see big changes. Ohio State also sounds in favor of the conference in the article.

Strongly for: Wisconsin
                  In favor: Ohio State
                  Unknown: Michigan
                  Not in favor (at the moment): Michigan State
                  Strongly against: Minnesota
                  Last edited by M-HockeyNet; 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM.
                  Michigan Hockey Net
                  Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

Comment

Alvarez was at the regional in Green Bay a few years ago. I rode in an elevator with him from the press box/suites to the main concourse.
                    Not sure if there's an Eaves quote floating around anywhere. The original article on the topic from Andy Baggot said that Eaves wasn't in favor of Wisconsin jumping from the WCHA to the CCHA, as was rumored during the BTHC talks should plans for the conference not materialize.

The article said Alvarez and UW senior associate athletic director Sean Frazier share "major concerns" about the overall health and direction of D-I hockey, so it's not just Barry who wants to see big changes. Ohio State also sounds in favor of the conference in the article.

Strongly for: Wisconsin
                    In favor: Ohio State
                    Unknown: Michigan
                    Not in favor (at the moment): Michigan State
                    Strongly against: Minnesota
                    When I talked to OSU's John Markell last week, he brought the Big Ten up, not me:

http://thehockeyshow.blogspot.com/20...how-is-up.html
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass
                    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      Alvarez was at the regional in Green Bay a few years ago. I rode in an elevator with him from the press box/suites to the main concourse.
                      Alvarez riding in an elevator still doesn't answer the question of whether he actually watched the hockey game
                      Michigan Hockey Net
                      Follow MHNet on Twitter

Comment

Alvarez riding in an elevator still doesn't answer the question of whether he actually watched the hockey game
                        touche... He was talking about the game (I was going to the post game presser), so someone must have at least told him Bucky looked good beating BSU
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          touche... He was talking about the game (I was going to the post game presser), so someone must have at least told him Bucky looked good beating BSU
                          Did he ask when the next time Wisconsin would get 4 home games in the NCAA's?
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I watched a scalper try and sell him a ticket outside the Bradley Center during the 2006 Frozen Four.

He didn't buy the ticket, so I can't confirm he saw those games.

Comment

Start a Big Ten conference, and let em go play each other. Then see how attendance drops, tv revenues fall short, and all the other teams beat up on them, as their recruiting starts to suck.
                              Bob is making me concerned
                              I am the voice of reason

Comment

Did they own the rights to air those games?
                                No, they did not.

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                I believe they get to cherry pick games involving Big Ten teams...not sure on the exact legalities of it though, so I could be wrong.
                                You're wrong.

There are still competing contracts here, as all Big Ten schools are also party to conference-based and individual school-based TV contracts.

I also think Comley phrased his words poorly, and you're cherry picking his statement a bit. Reading on in that article, it's clear that Comley's talking about a Big Ten 'conference' while still retaining the WCHA and CCHA affiliations. Basically, if you knocked the WCHA and CCHA conference seasons down to 22 games or so, you could easily just have the teams schedule each other in OOC games to fill out the rest and have a full round robin between all of the 5 BT schools. You essentially can have two conferences at once.

The conventional use of the word conference, however, is mutually exclusive with membership in another conference.

This is a complex issue, and trying to boil it down to soundbytes won't help things.
                                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                                X