Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten conference discussed, rejected

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
    Who is this Roman Augustoviz guy? It's his unattributed assertion that the BTN would love to televise more games, but ScoobyDoo is right. Facts speak for themselves. They aren't broadcasting the available games now. I call bullsh*t.
    I believe he's the Minneapolis Star and Tribune Gopher hockey beat writer.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      I don't know if it's a "want to" or a "have to" but they're only broadcasting games between two Big Ten teams at this point. That's why the BTN basically forced the CCHA into pairing Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in their proposed new league schedule.
      So, they require TWO BIG 10 schools to broadcast a hockey game? Does that mean that if Michigan plays Florida in basketball they'll turn it down?

What a JOKE.

And they're still skipping Michigan State/Minnesota.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
        I believe he's the Minneapolis Star and Tribune Gopher hockey beat writer.
        Minnesota's version of Andy Baggot, then. (That's not a compliment).

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
          Who is this Roman Augustoviz guy? It's his unattributed assertion that the BTN would love to televise more games, but ScoobyDoo is right. Facts speak for themselves. They aren't broadcasting the available games now. I call bullsh*t.
          Earlier in the Fall, I believe an Ohio State blogger posted an interview he had with one of the BTN bigwigs. One of the questions was along the lines of "what sport do you wish you could televise more of?" and the answer was a flat out "Men's hockey." Apparently there is a bit of an issue with the various CCHA and WCHA TV contracts, as the BTN doesn't always get first choice of what games to broadcast. However, I can't believe that this is something that can't be worked out over time.
          Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
            Earlier in the Fall, I believe an Ohio State blogger posted an interview he had with one of the BTN bigwigs. One of the questions was along the lines of "what sport do you wish you could televise more of?" and the answer was a flat out "Men's hockey." Apparently there is a bit of an issue with the various CCHA and WCHA TV contracts, as the BTN doesn't always get first choice of what games to broadcast. However, I can't believe that this is something that can't be worked out over time.
            They're lying then. Wisconsin barely has any games on TV. OSU has the same issue. If they wanted to broadcast games they could.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Why isn't the ShowCase on then (as has been asked before)? The BTN needs to hire better liars.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                I'm all for a Big Ten conference. I'd rather play MU, MSU, and OSU than SCSU, UAA, MTU, etc. It would generate a lot more interest and get more games on TV. Sign me up.
                I disagree.
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  They're lying then. Wisconsin barely has any games on TV. OSU has the same issue. If they wanted to broadcast games they could.
                  No, they're not lying. There are a whole lot of contractual issues that prevent them from just cherrypicking games.

It's an issue that most definitely can be worked out over time, but things are a lot more complicated than some on these boards would like to think.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                    I'm all for a Big Ten conference. I'd rather play MU, MSU, and OSU than SCSU, UAA, MTU, etc. It would generate a lot more interest and get more games on TV. Sign me up.
                    Some of you Big Ten fans are so incestuous about it you lose sight of everything.
                    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                      No, they're not lying. There are a whole lot of contractual issues that prevent them from just cherrypicking games.

It's an issue that most definitely can be worked out over time, but things are a lot more complicated than some on these boards would like to think.
                      Oh, please. Someone post the contracts then that prevent games that are not being broadcast by someone to be picked up by the Big 10. It's a bunch of hooey.

And there it is. Cherry pick. The big 10 only wants to broadcast the games they want, not just broadcast games. They want the same games everyone else already has/wants. They're a joke.
                      Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

The fact that it was even discussed is more then I would like...
                        The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Oh, please. Someone post the contracts then that prevent games that are not being broadcast by someone to be picked up by the Big 10. It's a bunch of hooey.

And there it is. Cherry pick. The big 10 only wants to broadcast the games they want, not just broadcast games. They want the same games everyone else already has/wants. They're a joke.

I really only have an opinion on the statements about televising College Hockey games, any College Hockey games, and I've got to agree with Scooby on this one. I'll concede that there may be contracts that, on their face, may make it appear difficult to pick broadcasts by setting up a pecking order, but the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is always ca$h money.

If a Big Ten school is involved in a game not being previously televised, it should be extremely easy to step in and televise said game because they will be PAYING for it, and well. As well as extended sports tier cable/satellite will allow, anyway. Which, even if it is $1.00, that is $1.00 more in television revenue than the game was getting previously.

The CCHA or WCHA shouldn't be a barrier, either, as this gives their member institutions not a part of the Big Ten an awesome opportunity for free advertisement. Additionally, the CCHA and WCHA can plug their conference tourneys.

So, yeah, if you want to "fill a void" on Friday night: do it, BTN.
                          Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
                          Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                            The fact that it was even discussed is more then I would like...
                            Damm - a green worthy post.

Comment

Even if the game didn't involve just Big 10 schools lets say Michigan hosting BC or BU then they would still love to broadcast it. Such a game would get people in non Big 10 country to actually watch their network.

Comment

Who says we still can't play UND and DU if a Big Ten conference is formed? There will be plenty of non conference opportunity and an effort can be made to get those teams on our schedule each year.
                                Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X