Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I dare start an MSU-Clarkson thread? (10/9, 10/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I dare start an MSU-Clarkson thread? (10/9, 10/10)

Definitely a more entertaining game this afternoon. Lots of things to work on for the Knights in practice. I don't know if you can teach someone to be a "finisher" but they definitely need one.

I thought the disallowed goal was a bad call but it was across the ice from me. It is my understanding that the puck must be intentionally redirected in order for the goal to be disallowed. The number of looks Wilkins took at one angle really makes me believe there was just not indisputable evidence to overturn the call. I thought the MSU goal was the correct call.

MSU has a good bunch of fans. I enjoyed their fans; they were very hospitable. I actually found myself rooting for MSU at a sports bar this afternoon while watching their football game against Illinois (who would root for a school that dropped hockey anyway?).

Good luck to State for the rest of the season.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
      MSU has a good bunch of fans. I enjoyed their fans; they were very hospitable. I actually found myself rooting for MSU at a sports bar this afternoon while watching their football game against Illinois (who would root for a school that dropped hockey anyway?).

Good luck to State for the rest of the season.
      What a great thing to write. And same to your boys.

Illinois-Chicago dropped hockey unless I am mistaken - I think the death-knell was an 11-0 shellacking State put on them a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        Illinois-Chicago dropped hockey unless I am mistaken - I think the death-knell was an 11-0 shellacking State put on them a few years ago.
        You're right. It was the Flames. I remember seeing them play at the RPI Fieldhouse in the old RPI tourney.

Usually after the heat of the battle, I tend to root for teams that have played us, especially if their fans are good fans. I know the CCHA schedule is tight but I hope to see MSU come to Potsdam sometime soon. Of course, the $508 from the 50/50 raffle in my pocket kind of helps too.

Clarkson had a pretty good showing of fans for a small school over 14 hours away. I just wish they wouldn't do that "Knights" thing during the National Anthem on the road. I'll leave that for a thread on the Clarkson boards.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

I'm bummed we didn't beat them like a drum again, but we needed a hard-fought win like the one we saw tonight. (Especially considering the plentiful hard-fought losses last season when we weren't getting destroyed.)

Clarkson looked like the Clarkson of two year ago tonight - which should be promising to their fanbase. Best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season.

Happy for the sweep. Off to Bangor where hopefully we can do it again.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I thought the disallowed goal was a bad call but it was across the ice from me. It is my understanding that the puck must be intentionally redirected in order for the goal to be disallowed. The number of looks Wilkins took at one angle really makes me believe there was just not indisputable evidence to overturn the call. I thought the MSU goal was the correct call.
            Since they didn't show the replay (glad we spent the money on those monitors) and didn't give an explanation, I thought there was a man in the crease because they took the face off out of the zone. I thought I could get a replay at the bar after the game but they were showing Friday night's game.

Congrats on the 50-50. Too bad we had such a rough year last year. With a normal crowd you would've gotten around $1400.

Thanks for making the trip.
            Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Comment

Originally posted by MCB View Post
              Since they didn't show the replay (glad we spent the money on those monitors) and didn't give an explanation, I thought there was a man in the crease because they took the face off out of the zone. I thought I could get a replay at the bar after the game but they were showing Friday night's game.

Congrats on the 50-50. Too bad we had such a rough year last year. With a normal crowd you would've gotten around $1400.

Thanks for making the trip.
              The PA announcer said the goal was disallowed because it went off a players' hand. Since I assume the PA announcer should have been in direct contact with the scoring table, I guess that's why the goal was disallowed.

The rule 6-18-c-3 says a goal shall not be counted if the puck was thrown or batted into the goal. "Going off a players' hand" is not sufficient to disallow the goal but that may have been the interpretation of Wilkins' interpretation by the PA announcers.

The Clarkson and MSU official releases don't address the waved off goal but The Watertown Daily Times says it was judged to be directed in with a glove. While I don't think this was the case, the ruling on the ice was no goal, so I imagine there was no indisputable visual evidence to the contrary.

It is also my understanding that they are not allowed to show replays on the big screen of plays being adjudged by the officials.
              Last edited by FireKnight; 10-10-2009, 09:41 PM.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

I don't know if I mentioned this here before ... that linesman Wesley, looks like a really young kid but he did one heck of a job out there. Always hustling and didn't miss a thing all weekend including equipment violations and a too many men that both referees missed.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

The PA announcer said the goal was disallowed because it went off a players' hand. Since I assume the PA announcer should have been in direct contact with the scoring table, I guess that's why the goal was disallowed.

The rule 6-18-c-3 says a goal shall not be counted if the puck was thrown or batted into the goal. "Going off a players' hand" is not sufficient to disallow the goal but that may have been the interpretation of Wilkins' interpretation by the PA announcers.

The Clarkson and MSU official releases don't address the waved off goal but The Watertown Daily Times says it was judged to be directed in with a glove. While I don't think this was the case, the ruling on the ice was no goal, so I imagine there was no indisputable visual evidence to the contrary.

It is also my understanding that they are not allowed to show replays on the big screen of plays being adjudged by the officials.
                  My seat's behind the glass so I miss a lot of announcements. They can show replays after they've made a ruling. They missed a lot of replays this week.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Comment

I don't know if I mentioned this here before ... that linesman Wesley, looks like a really young kid but he did one heck of a job out there. Always hustling and didn't miss a thing all weekend including equipment violations and a too many men that both referees missed.
                    I believe that "Too Many on the Ice" call is the responsibility of the linesmen and not the referee.
                    "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Working...
                    X