X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2009-2010 Season

Originally posted by freego View Post
    Was anyone else as impressed as I was with Flanagan playing point on PP?
    Yes. That and good goaltending were the ONLY bright spots for SLU this weekend. (OK, I guess you really have to add Travis Vermuelen to that short list.)

When Flanagan was at the point, the PP was really dangerous. When he wasn't, it was flat-out terrible. For some reason, the other guys looked like they were having trouble making quick decisions with the puck. When Flanagan received the puck, it usually ended up with the puck getting through to the goaltender with a chance to be deflected. When anyone else got it, there was hesitation, followed by more hesitation, followed by a one-timer from below the faceoff dot or a shot directly into a defender's stick or body 10-15 feet in front of the net. The only two goals on the weekend happened because Flanagan created space and time for Vermuelen.

Like Got 6 already said, it's worth wondering what the PP would look like if Pete Child were in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      Man, that hit on Armstrong was cheap. If I didn't want Princeton to win some games, I'd like to see a suspension for that. (For those who didn't see it, Dan posted it on Saints to the Max).
      Casstle of the Saints.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
        Casstle of the Saints.
        The web address! I was talking about the web address!
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

It was a pretty nasty hit. Armstrong's cage was dented in and he ended up with a cut on his forehead a what is going to be a black eye. It was pretty nasty, but the good news is he was walking around and seemed OK after the game. Today and this week will really determine the severity of his concussion.

Comment

Cornell beats Colgate 6-2 to keep 'gate behind us in the standings.

Comment

As per Casstle of the Saints:

Child skated at practice this week for the first time.

Armstrong won't be making the trip this weekend because of the concussion.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Child skated at practice this week for the first time.
                That's great.

Armstrong won't be making the trip this weekend because of the concussion.
                And that sucks.

Thanks for the news, Dan.

Comment

Who cares if Army makes the trip, I just hope he is okay!! Concussions are such a rotten injury. So disappointed for Jared Keller with his concussion this season. Knowing what Saint alums Charlie Giffin and Max Taylor have been through with concussions it really is the suckiest injury. Knees and hips...you know you will heal, but concussions are scary! The worst part of it is the refs don't protect the players...both Keller and Army were hurt on BS cheapshots. Get better Army...that is all that matters.

Great news that Child is skating again...hope is conditioning is not too far off. Would be great to have him available in the near future. He was having such a great season before his injury.

Comment

Dan also mentioned this Friday's writeup will be about how Coach Marsh has purchased new helmets that are supposed to help prevent concussions. He initially was only going to buy them for kids coming back from a concussion, but he thought more about it and just got them for everybody. Looking forward to reading about that.

Comment

Joe and Chris are considering buying (may have already done so) a computer program to help with concussions. Each player will go through the program at the beginning of the season to get a base line. Any player who suffers a concussion or related type injury will then retake the program. The results will show the player's progress and when they can safely resume playing. Funding for this program (it is very expensive) was provided by the Friends of St. Lawrence Hockey. FSLH has donated $10,000 to the men's and women's programs so far this year. This money, of course, comes from membership donations from you guys and the different fundraisers that we hold throughout the year that you participate in.

A big THANK YOU to all Saints fans!!!!

Comment

Dan also mentioned this Friday's writeup will be about how Coach Marsh has purchased new helmets that are supposed to help prevent concussions. He initially was only going to buy them for kids coming back from a concussion, but he thought more about it and just got them for everybody. Looking forward to reading about that.
                        Good for Joe and his staff to make an effort to stop or at least slow down the amount of concussions his players are getting. Does anyone know how old the helmets are that are being replaced? I would hope that it has been a practice for each player to get new buckets every year as the padding inside the helmet hardens over time. Heard a story recently where a junior hockey team passsed out team issue helmets that were like 6 yrs old and wouldn't let kids buy their own new helmet because they wouldn't match!

Comment

Sorry for not posting of late but my PC at home $hit the bed a few weeks ago, So, am "cheating" and sneaking in a quick post from work now.

Had to put down our beloved dog Magic (close to 15 yrs. old) down yesterday. Didn't realize I had so much fluids/tears left in my body. Yesterday really sucked!

Any news yet on a goalie recruit for this Fall?

GO SAINTS.
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

PS. Meant to mention this last night: I saw several kids with the new white sweaters last night. I'm not sure if the bookstore is selling them, but thought I would mention it.

Yep. They have them: http://www.booksite.com/texis/script...99952&list=MM2
                            I got mine at the bookstore last Friday. They are pretty good although not exact replicas. The "St. Lawrence" lettering goes straight across as opposed to arcing over the logo lettering on the real deal. Only $65 bucks, which seems like a deal after seeing the $120 jobs the SJ Sharks are selling at the Tank.

I had my chance to see SLU play at Appleton for the first time in 25 years last weekend. I think I've seen them play just about every where else but Appleton in that time. It confirmed my contention that it is the best place to watch a college hockey game in the country. Not sure how I feel about having to weave in and out of the upper deck during my between period circuit, but that's a nitpick. The burgers are excellent. What I really missed was the unique, only-at-Appleton stench of cigar smoke, cigarettes, pipes and bad hot dogs that used to permeate the front lobby between periods. To me, that's how I knew I was at a game.

Unfortunately, Friday night's Q-Pac game was a complete stinker. The first goal was fluky and it went downhill from there. It seemed to me that KIsi's protection in front of the net completely collapsed in the third period. The Princeton game was much better and more fun to watch but 4pm is not hockey time. The crowd never really got into it. Petizian sure looked sharp coming off his two month layoff.

Not having seen the team play in person since Omaha, I was most impressed by how far George Hughes has come. Good to know we'll have a rock solid anchor on defense who is only going to get better. Even better, if Pete Childs can come back soon. I also really liked seeing Kyle Flanagan on the point during power plays. I think that's got a lot of promise.

In any case, it was a great hockey weekend, well worth the 13 hours of driving and flying it took me to get home Sunday night. I hope last weekend was a wake up call. The boys sure need one. We can't afford to come out flat against a Yale team that had, count 'em, 91 SOG last weekend.
                            Last edited by bcarlisle; 02-18-2010, 12:05 PM.
                            St. Lawrence University
                            World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                              Sorry for not posting of late but my PC at home $hit the bed a few weeks ago, So, am "cheating" and sneaking in a quick post from work now.

Had to put down our beloved dog Magic (close to 15 yrs. old) down yesterday. Didn't realize I had so much fluids/tears left in my body. Yesterday really sucked!

Any news yet on a goalie recruit for this Fall?

GO SAINTS.
                              It was reported in Minnesota newspaper that SLU was one of the teams interested in goalie Joel Vienneau of Kingston Voyageurs.

Comment

Originally posted by ecacwatcher View Post
                                It was reported in Minnesota newspaper that SLU was one of the teams interested in goalie Joel Vienneau of Kingston Voyageurs.
                                Did it say who else was looking at Vienneau? I don't think SLU is looking at him anymore....and they have told him so. They are looking at a goalie in Western Canada but I am not going to say who because certain teams seem to be following us around trying to find a goalie and I don't want to say what I know and lead them right to them.

Vienneau seemingly has been waiting around for an offer from Minnesota but that is a flawed approach IMO considering they already have another goalie committed. He could be a pretty good player without a place to play the way he is approaching this.

Comment

Working...
                                X