Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ferris State Hockey 2009-10 - 2 minutes for slashing

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    And I haven't even started in about how we laid down and died against Northern after the 1st period Friday night. Sure, the shot totals looked pretty, but when 95% of the shots come from downtown Reed City, with no one in between you and the goaltender, of course Stewart's going to stop them.
    In 4 years of attending games, that Northern series might have been my least favorite of all time. Stewart had some of the worst rebound control ever...no one was ever near the front of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by I Want Shegos View Post
      Re: Hammer, I agree with pretty much all you said. This was a team that halfway home was in excellent position for a national berth, now it will take a strong effort. And the way they've looked, I worry about the playoff series. Thankfully, Northern and Alaska won't be the opposition, those were my two biggest worries.

I had low confidence in the chances before last weekend, then regained hope after the strong showing against the Spartans. But then this weekend, I'm not sure what exactly to think.

As for next year, at least they are returning both Nagle and Nelson, that alone should still keep them at least decent.
      Our only saving grace in two weeks is that Ferris has never lost a home playoff game. Hopefully we can keep that going. From there we're probably looking at MSU in the semis. I've got to believe that only one of us is getting in the tournament. We could very well be playing for everything that night.

As for next season, sure, the goaltending returns, but just who is going to score? Riley, Chupp, Haines and Liwecki are gone. I wondered this season about the scoring, but at least Chupp and Riley had shown at some point in their collegiate careers that they had an idea of how to turn the red light on. I look at what comes back for next season and I've got real concerns. Unless someone big is coming in (and when I say big, I mean Chris Kunitz-type goal scorer), I've got to think that we're going to be on the short end of a lot of 2-1 games next year.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

No, I've probably been bi-polar with this team this season. I thought we had something this season, and we still could have just by playing decently over the past 5 weeks. 2-4-4, with 6 of those games coming against the bottom third of the league, is not my idea of "playing decently".
        I'm still trying to decide which is worse: playing fantastic and then tanking it when it matters? Or playing inconsistent from the get-go?

Either way, it just becomes mind-numbingly frustrating.

Comment

In 4 years of attending games, that Northern series might have been my least favorite of all time. Stewart had some of the worst rebound control ever...no one was ever near the front of the net.
          He didn't need to have rebound control. Our forwards were halfway to Cadillac and our defensemen were shooting from Kalkaska County. A decent goal-scoring team would have shelled him that weekend. And once he improved on his rebounds Saturday night, that was it, say goodnight.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
            I'm still trying to decide which is worse: playing fantastic and then tanking it when it matters? Or playing inconsistent from the get-go?

Either way, it just becomes mind-numbingly frustrating.
            I've sat through both. When I was a student we sat through a 9-2 assbeating by LSSU on opening weekend, where Lake scored 11 seconds into the game while our goaltender was halfway to the bench when the puck went in the net. And then we turned around and beat MSU in Munn the next Tuesday night. I think that was the year my buddy got thrown out of the arena 38 seconds into the Ohio State game and I got threatened with a banning the next night. Fun times at Ewigleben.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Our only saving grace in two weeks is that Ferris has never lost a home playoff game. Hopefully we can keep that going. From there we're probably looking at MSU in the semis. I've got to believe that only one of us is getting in the tournament. We could very well be playing for everything that night.

As for next season, sure, the goaltending returns, but just who is going to score? Riley, Chupp, Haines and Liwecki are gone. I wondered this season about the scoring, but at least Chupp and Riley had shown at some point in their collegiate careers that they had an idea of how to turn the red light on. I look at what comes back for next season and I've got real concerns. Unless someone big is coming in (and when I say big, I mean Chris Kunitz-type goal scorer), I've got to think that we're going to be on the short end of a lot of 2-1 games next year.
              Heh, weird to think that only two CCHA teams might get in.

Another concern is the same one that always seems to pop up around this time; Spring Break. Being on the tail-end of spring break could be better, but I don't think they'll open the dorms up until Sunday. I hope the student section isn't completely deserted for the series.

As for next year, the biggest hope for scoring comes from two current freshmen; Kirzinger and Ouelette. Both have shown some flashes of goal scoring potential. But they still have a long way to go just to match the current seniors. They'll probably have to rely a lot more on defensemen scoring from guys like Redmond.

Comment

And here's something else to ponder about our next series: If exactly one of Alaska or UNO drop their first playoff series and Michigan holds serve, guess who comes to Big Rapids? We may have to go through Michigan to get to the Joe.

EDIT: As of tonight's game, this team has scored 107 goals this season. 47 of those goals have come from the senior class. 46% of our goal scoring is walking out the door this spring, and looking at what Nagle and Nelson have given us, to ask anything more of them borders on ridiculous. They've already been tremendous.
                Last edited by Hammer; 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And here's something else to ponder about our next series: If exactly one of Alaska or UNO drop their first playoff series and Michigan holds serve, guess who comes to Big Rapids? We may have to go through Michigan to get to the Joe.
                  Not having to go to Munn for the second round would be great for Michigan, but I really don't see either BG or Western winning a road series in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                    Not having to go to Munn for the second round would be great for Michigan, but I really don't see either BG or Western winning a road series in the first round.
                    I tend to agree, but goofy things have happened once the postseason gets underway. I didn't think Western would come out of this weekend with two ties.

God, that was fun...

Comment

As for next year, the biggest hope for scoring comes from two current freshmen; Kirzinger and Ouelette. Both have shown some flashes of goal scoring potential. But they still have a long way to go just to match the current seniors. They'll probably have to rely a lot more on defensemen scoring from guys like Redmond.
                      I really wanted to enjoy this season while it's occurring, and not think about next year, but since its being discussed and I now have major concerns might as well....

Defensively they should be very solid especially if Redmond returns. You will have two very strong goalies, Redmond, Wietecha, Wysopal, and Billins as the top 2 lines along with whoever earns it with Hill, Schmit, Trebish, and Czarnowczan. It would be nice to see Hill/Schmit step up their play, but not holding my breath.

I agree with you Kirzinger, and Ouellette gotta continue to step it up. I can see both of them being key players. Alexander could be thrown out there too. Sounds like Andy Huff is expected to play a lot too, and very capable of scoring lots of goals but I'm not holding my breath on a true freshmen. Pretty much any way you cut it we will probably be relaying on lots of youth for goals. Honestly I can't see next year's seniors breaking out like this year's seniors. Not saying they are bad players, but I just don't see any of them having the role of a goto scorer.

If I would have to answer now I would say middle of the CCHA.

Comment

I would say that the biggest difference between this year's seniors and this year's juniors is that some of the seniors have some sort of track record of putting the puck in the net at some point in their collegiate career, even if it was as freshmen or sophomores. Riley had a 14 goals as a sophomore. Chupp had a 30 point season two years ago. There was at least some sort of basis for believing that they could improve a little bit. Menke and Embach, our top two returning juniors, have no such track record in college, nor does anyone else currently on the roster, and to depend on freshmen is dicey at best. That's why I'm concerned.

I have no such reservations about the defense or goaltending, but you can't win games scoring 1-2 goals a night unless you have Ryan Miller or Marty Turco in net, and at this point I'd have to think that the NCAA would frown on Bob Daniels doing such a thing.
                        Last edited by Hammer; 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I would say that the biggest difference between this year's seniors and this year's juniors is that some of the seniors have some sort of track record of putting the puck in the net at some point in their collegiate career, even if it was as freshmen or sophomores. Riley had a 14 goals as a sophomore. Chupp had a 30 point season two years ago. There was at least some sort of basis for believing that they could improve a little bit. Menke and Embach, our top two returning juniors, have no such track record in college, nor does anyone else currently on the roster, and to depend on freshmen is dicey at best. That's why I'm concerned.

I have no such reservations about the defense or goaltending, but you can't win games scoring 1-2 goals a night unless you have Ryan Miller or Marty Turco in net, and at this point I'd have to think that the NCAA would frown on Bob Daniels doing such a thing.
                          I agree. Speaking of Daniels does anyone think he has a shot at the CCHA coach of the year? I figure it's gotta be Rico, Comley, or Daniels. Finishing 6 spots ahead of where you were predicted is a solid argument I would say.

Comment

Just heard there's going to be an organist auditioning at the men's league and high school play-off games this week with the possibility of him playing at the CCHA games next weekend.
                            This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                              Just heard there's going to be an organist auditioning at the men's league and high school play-off games this week with the possibility of him playing at the CCHA games next weekend.
                              Anybody at Ferris know how to play Lady of Spain??
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                                Your an idiot...and who is going to wheel in a organ? And where will they put it?

Come on...Men's games? High school games are over....and what about the BAND at the college games?

Comment

Working...
                                X