X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2009-2010 <<<<< Rockin' The Ritter For Another Year

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    2010-11: @RPI and @Union; @Cornell; 2 games @UNO tournament; home vs. UMass-Lowell and vs. Merrimack, both on Brick City Weekend.
    Whats going on? A year without playing St. Lawrence and/or Clarkson? :P

I really want to see Clarkson come out and play the Brick City weekend at BCA. I think RIT could come close to selling that place out for that match up. Hell I would settle for Cornell since we haven't won a game there since that game. Break the Big Red curse!
    RIT Tigers
    Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
    Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

That is some solid non-conference games for RIT. Hopefully they can play better than they did last night.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Nice non-conference schedule. The amount of AHA games reducing to 27 and Niagara joining the AHA looks like it really opened up the schedule to put some good games together. I'm glad to see matchups vs. Hockey East and WCHA teams. Those Wisconsin games are probably the most impressive weekend slate since meeting Minnesota and BC back-to-back.
        2008-09 AHA Regular Season Pick 'em Champion
        2010 AHA Postseason Pick 'em Co-Champ

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
          We should add it to our official wish list for a new arena then?

Dear secret mole with access to upper levels of RIT administration

We would like:

1. New arena with capacity of 5000
          2. Stadium seating that surrounds the entire ice surface
          3. Balcony seating so the corner can rain insults on the opposing goalie
          4. Olympic sized ice surface just so we can see the faces of the other team when they are expecting to play on our midget rink.
          5. Bar/restaurant over looking the ice (ok that's just mine but whatever )

Oh and one more item:

6. Reduce the number of times we play "Shipping Up to Boston" by The Dropkick Murphey's from 80 times a game to around 3 or 4 This includes the pep band as well
          I agree with this entire list. I was actually discussing the bigger ice issue with someone at open skate last night. I really think part of the Tiger's poor performance at the BCA is that they are not prepared for the size of the ice. If the new arena boasted NHL or Olympic sized ice, I think it would go a long way towards making us more competitive within our own conference, but also out of conference where teams still have smaller sheets.

Plus it'd look good in RIT's promotional brochures.
          e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

[QUOTE=LtPowers;4541217]Hot off the radio, via Scott Biggar:

2010-11 and 2011-12 non-conference opponents (all subject to change):

2010-11: @RPI and @Union; @Cornell; 2 games @UNO tournament; home vs. UMass-Lowell and vs. Merrimack, both on Brick City Weekend.

2011-12: home vs. RPI, Union, and St. Lawrence; 2 games @Catamount tournament; 2 games @Wisconsin]

now that's what I like.. U vs Wisconsin... Kohl Center is huge..

http://www.uwbadgers.com/facilities/kohl-center.html

14,000 for hockey... not too shabby.. probably the biggest arena we have played in so far... unless we have played at engelstadt in North Dakota?

Comment

Originally posted by d4rksabre View Post
              I agree with this entire list. I was actually discussing the bigger ice issue with someone at open skate last night. I really think part of the Tiger's poor performance at the BCA is that they are not prepared for the size of the ice. If the new arena boasted NHL or Olympic sized ice, I think it would go a long way towards making us more competitive within our own conference, but also out of conference where teams still have smaller sheets.

Plus it'd look good in RIT's promotional brochures.
              Olympic size ice is too big. We don't need that. We just need to have NHL sized ice like everyone else. And for everyone that says RIT doesn't win at BCA because of the big ice - explain how they have won other road games. Everyone else has 200x85 ice per their site here on USCHO (Bentley does not list the dimensions at the JAR).
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                Olympic size ice is too big. We don't need that. We just need to have NHL sized ice like everyone else. And for everyone that says RIT doesn't win at BCA because of the big ice - explain how they have won other road games. Everyone else has 200x85 ice per their site here on USCHO (Bentley does not list the dimensions at the JAR).
                Agree and I believe that the NCAA now recommends NHL size for new arenas. There was a period of time when they recommended Olympic and that is why there is a bunch of them in the WCHA, HEA, etc. I don't think Olympic size is even a possibility, but we do need NHL-sized. I also completely love the idea of 5K capacity with two levels and the balcony right over the ice. That could be fun, loud, and intimidating (and also not take up as much land).

Now back to the AHA games and that run through BCA ...

Happy New Year everyone!
                -M

Comment

I think an NHL size ice surface for any new rink is pretty much a given at this point.

The game of hockey is actually pretty un-interesting on Olympic size rinks. It has too much space around the perimeters, which is not where the exciting parts of the game occur.

Current discussions I have heard around the school mention a 3k-4k size arena more often than a 5k one.
                  Scott Biggar
                  WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                  Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                    I think an NHL size ice surface for any new rink is pretty much a given at this point.

The game of hockey is actually pretty un-interesting on Olympic size rinks. It has too much space around the perimeters, which is not where the exciting parts of the game occur.

Current discussions I have heard around the school mention a 3k-4k size arena more often than a 5k one.
                    Alright, you guys convinced me. NHL is fine.

3-4k would be fine, but boy do I want balcony seating.
                    e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

A while ago I mentioned how I expect Air Force to take a good lead over us in standings because they had 4 conference games while we had non-conference games. They went 0-1-1 against Mercyhurst, and this weekend, the lost 4-1 and 5-1 to Sacred Heart. We now have 4 fewer games than Air Force, and are only 1 point behind. This will be nice in the coming months...
                      Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                      College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                      Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                      Men's Frozen Four 2010
                      Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                      Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

You gotta go at least 4k. I know we wouldn't fill it up right away but I have a feeling we would sooner rather than later.
                        RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                          A while ago I mentioned how I expect Air Force to take a good lead over us in standings because they had 4 conference games while we had non-conference games. They went 0-1-1 against Mercyhurst, and this weekend, the lost 4-1 and 5-1 to Sacred Heart. We now have 4 fewer games than Air Force, and are only 1 point behind. This will be nice in the coming months...
                          That result against Sacred Heart is really surprising. Guess they did a little more hard partying on New Years than they should have. Really would have been nice to pick up a W in that early series against them at the beginning on the year.
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Boo to 3-4k. I don't even know if 3-4k seats would warrant multiple seating levels like some people want
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              And for everyone that says RIT doesn't win at BCA because of the big ice - explain how they have won other road games. Everyone else has 200x85 ice per their site here on USCHO (Bentley does not list the dimensions at the JAR).
                              Nobody is saying RIT can't win on big ice. Sometimes you win because you are the better team, regardless of the ice size. I think RIT's small ice is an undeniable advantage at home, and we get beat by good teams at home when they adjust effectively. We play almost half our games with that advantage. Take the small ice away (go on the road) and RIT is the team making the adjustments. Advantage opponent on a larger sheet. I am not saying we can't adjust to larger ice, but the other teams aren't making any adjustments to the ice size except when they come to the Ritter.
                              KBranch

Comment

Ultimately, I think whether a large ice surface is an advantage comes down to team speed. RIT is faster than many AHA teams, so they're likely to do just fine on the road against them. But, when they face some of the stronger AHA or big four conference teams, it's easier to contain their speed on a small ice surface. Over the years, RIT faired better again the US Under team at the Ritter than on the Olympic size sheet of ice, mainly because it was easier to contain their speed and play a physical game at the Ritter. In the end, RIT needs to be able to succeed (against good teams so they can win the AHA tournament) on a bigger sheet of ice, so moving to a facility that prepares them for that would be a good thing IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X