This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

A few days left before the first exhibition game and time to get a thread started. So here are my bold and absolutely meaningless predictions

Sun 4 New Brunswick 4:00pm
    UVM 5 - NB 1
    Fri 9 at Denver (TV: FSN Rocky Mountain) 9:30pm
    UVM 1 - DU 3
    Sat 10 at Denver 9:00pm
    UVM 2 - DU 1
    Sun 18 Boston College + (TV: ESPNU) 5:00pm
    UVM 4 BC 2
    Fri 23 at Merrimack + 7:00pm
    UVM 3 MC 1
    Fri 30 at Maine + (TV: WABI-TV) 7:00pm
    UVM 2 - ME 1
    November
    Fri 6 UMass-Lowell + 7:05pm
    UVM 1 - UML 3
    Sun 8 Providence + 4:00pm
    UVM 3 - PC 2
    Sat 14 at Boston College + 7:00pm
    UVM 2 BC 3
    Sun 15 at Boston College + 4:00pm
    UVM 4 - BC 1
    Tue 24 Massachusetts + 7:05pm
    UVM 2 Umass 2
    Fri 27 at Northeastern + 7:00pm
    UVM 3 - NU 0
    Mon 30 Yale 7:05pm
    UVM 4 - YU 2
    December

Fri 4 at Boston University + 7:00pm
    UVM 1 - BU 4
    Sun 6 New Hampshire + (TV: ESPNU) 3:00pm
    UVM 2 - UNH 3
    Sat 12 St. Lawrence 7:05pm
    UVM 4 - SLU 2
    Sat 19 Dartmouth 4:00pm
    UVM 2 - DC 1
    January

Sat 2 Minnesota-Duluth vs. Mercyhurst % 4:00pm
    UMD 3 - Mercy 1
    Sat 2 Vermont vs. Alabama-Huntsville % 7:05pm
    UVM 4 - UAH 1
    Sun 3 Catamount Cup % 4:00pm

Sun 3 Vermont vs. Minnesota-Duluth or Mercyhurst % 7:05pm
    UVM 3 - UMD 1
    Fri 15 Northeastern + 7:05pm
    UVM 1 - NU 1
    Sat 16 Northeastern + 7:05pm
    UVM 2 - NU 1
    Sat 23 at Massachusetts + 7:00pm
    UVM 3 - Umass 1
    Sun 24 at Massachusetts + (TV: ESPNU) 3:00pm
    UVM 2 - Umass 1
    Fri 29 Maine + 7:05pm
    UVM 2 - ME 3
    Sat 30 Maine + 7:05pm
    UVM 3 - ME 2
    February

Fri 5 at Providence + 7:00pm
    UVM 2 - PC 1
    Sat 6 at Providence + (TV: Cox Communications) 7:00pm
    UVM 3 - PC 2
    Fri 12 Merrimack + 7:05pm
    UVM 1 MC 1
    Sat 13 Merrimack + 7:00pm
    UVM 3 - MC 1
    Fri 19 at New Hampshire + (TV: NESN) 7:30pm
    UVM 2 - UNH 4
    Sat 20 at New Hampshire + 7:00pm
    UVM 2 - UNH 2
    Fri 26 Boston University + (TV: NESN) 7:30pm
    UVM 2 - BU 3
    Sun 28 Boston University + (TV: ESPNU) 3:00pm
    UVM 2 - BU 1
    March

Fri 5 at UMass-Lowell + 7:00pm
    UVM 4 - UML 2
    Sat 6 at UMass-Lowell + 7:00pm
    UVM 1 - UML 3

Conference 14-9-4
    Overall 20-10-4
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Looking forward to a nice, low scoring team, eh? Four goals will be an offensive explosion.

I do not agree.

Comment

Can't wait til they drop the puck! I am looking forward to a really aggressive style this season. Love watching the Cats cleanly lay people out. ( think Sifers)
      Staying out of the box will be key, but I think we can look forward to lots of hits, and lots of scoring.,

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

We better score more goals than that.

As it turns out from a little web surfing, New Brunswick is not a bad team at all and should be a good exhibition test. I'll be surprised if we beat them by four goals from what I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post

As it turns out from a little web surfing, New Brunswick is not a bad team at all and should be a good exhibition test. I'll be surprised if we beat them by four goals from what I've read.
          I am thinking a 5-3 win.

Comment

I think the cats will end the HE regular season with around 36 points rather than 32.

But I may be overly optimistic I suppose.

I still think a few guys step up enough to cover for the departures from last year and that they have a nice mix of upperclassmen with a few good youngsters sprinkled in.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
              I think the cats will end the HE regular season with around 36 points rather than 32.

But I may be overly optimistic I suppose.

I still think a few guys step up enough to cover for the departures from last year and that they have a nice mix of upperclassmen with a few good youngsters sprinkled in.
              I think that with the increase in overall recruiting, the transition time should become shorter, and shorter each year. Blue Chippers have the mental and physical ability to learn the system, and sprint out of the box.
              I too am optimistic about the incoming class.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post

Below is a post from grantfan that was in the Offseason thread. It better addresses what the Cats have in front of them for this coming Sunday.

Originally posted by grantfan
                UVM's Sunday opponent, the defending Canadian University National Champion and perennial Canadian power University of New Brunswick Reds, lost 4-2 to the AHL Portland Pirates last night. Prior to that game, the Reds were 5-0 against Canadian competition. They played their first game on September 15. They will play at UMass Saturday evening before appearing in Burlington Sunday afternoon.

The Reds averaged about 6 goals/game in their 5 university games while allowing 1 or less in 4 of them, 6 in a 7-6 win against McGill (who appeared in Burlington last year at this time).

New Brunswick appears to be a most respectable foe for UVM's opening game.
                Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                  I think that with the increase in overall recruiting, the transition time should become shorter, and shorter each year. Blue Chippers have the mental and physical ability to learn the system, and sprint out of the box. I too am optimistic about the incoming class.
                  Are there any blue chippers in this class? I don't think so but would like to be proven wrong. Time will tell.
                  Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Assist for Vik in his first game!

I only got to watch a small part but he looked good during the part I saw.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                      Are there any blue chippers in this class? I don't think so but would like to be proven wrong. Time will tell.
                      Possibly McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                        Assist for Vik in his first game!

I only got to watch a small part but he looked good during the part I saw.
                        Apparently every goal will be posted on NHL.com which is cool. Here is the goal that Vik scored on. Not great video, but looks like it was almost Vik's first NHL goal. But an assist in his first game is great.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...OR588&fr=false

Comment

Until shown otherwise, young Mr. McCarthy may benefit by not (or no longer?) being considered a blue chipper.

Blue chippers often seem to find their way to BC, where, coincidentally, McCarthy was scheduled to go while he was being evaluated for the 2009 NHL draft, something blue chippers often seem to be involved in.

McCarthy, with his US NDTP pedigree and BC commitment, was ranked the 140th best North American skater eligible for the 2009 draft. At least one player not considered a blue chipper by UVM/HE fans, David Pacan, was rated the 127th best North American skater and was, in fact, selected in the draft. McCarthy will again be eligible for the 2010 NHL draft.

Then, the BC coach thought that maybe young Chris McCarthy needed a year of junior hockey before matriculating at BC. So, absent the recommended year of preparation for Hockey East competition, the undrafted 18 year old is a freshman at Vermont.

Maybe Vermont fans are right and the BC coach is wrong, maybe Chris McCarthy is a blue chipper.

Or maybe he should be called a freshman, a true freshman, and allowed to show everyone how good a player he is. Calling him a blue chipper may impress some people this season, but it won't strike fear in at least one HE opponent, Boston College.
                          Last edited by grantfan; 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post

McCarthy, with his US NDTP pedigree and BC commitment, was ranked the 140th best North American skater eligible for the 2009 draft. At least one player not considered a blue chipper by UVM/HE fans, David Pacan, was rated the 127th best North American skater and was, in fact, selected in the draft.

Maybe Vermont fans are right and the BC coach is wrong, maybe Chris McCarthy is a blue chipper.

Or maybe he should be called a freshman, a true freshman, and allowed to show everyone how good a player he is. Calling him a blue chipper may impress some people this season, but it won't strike fear in at least one HE opponent, Boston College.
                            Def : an athlete rated as excellent or as an excellent prospect

I think McCarthy would be considered and excellent prospect. Yes he has to prove himself, but that really doesn't factor in. Pacan also could very well be considered a blue chipper as well. But that really doesn't negate McCarthy's potential, just means UVM has two potential BlueChippers.

Comment

JC, do you not consider Nilsson-Roos, Albertson, STALBERG, and Franzon blue chippers?

Comment

Working...
                              X