This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Reaching the Frozen Four after only 4 seasons in HE is a HUGE accomplishment! How many HE teams have not even come close in a decade of being in this elite league? You know you are getting under HE fans skin when all they got is the "elephant walk" LOL

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
      Reaching the Frozen Four after only 4 seasons in HE is a HUGE accomplishment! How many HE teams have not even come close in a decade of being in this elite league? You know you are getting under HE fans skin when all they got is the "elephant walk" LOL
      It's particularly huge when there were people in HE, and our previous league, who said HE teams would eat our lunch.
      Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        I don't think we bragged about beating Yale and Air Force either (although Yale was well regarded and expected by some to do some damage in the tournament). We did brag about making it to the FF......and rightfully so!
        brag about making the FF all you want, just don't put up a banner for doing both that and making the NCAA tournament in the same year. it's redundant and, frankly, stupid.

btw jcarter i know this might be a little out of "your" depth, but my use of "yer" was a stylistic decision. just because you don't know the difference "your"self doesn't mean "you're" somehow getting one over on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Which was a result of beating??????
          Who did BC beat to get to the frozen four?? Oh that's right. My bad, but hey there was that moral victory against BU in the semis.

Don't forget about bragging about the moral victory against BU in the semis too.
          And the actual victories with a weekend sweep at Agganis, lets not forget those.

So lets see, of the 6 losses in 45 games that BU had, UVM accounted for two of those. How many did BC account for?

In the season series against undoubtedly the best team in college hockey last year UVM went 2-1-0 and that most elite of elite programs went.....0-2-1.

Interestingly, that 2-1-0 mark is the same as UVM's season series with BC this year.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
            brag about making the FF all you want, just don't put up a banner for doing both that and making the NCAA tournament in the same year. it's redundant and, frankly, stupid.
            No, it's not stupid nor is it redundant.

Making the NCAA's is an impressive accomplishment.
            Making the FF is also an impressive accomplishment, above and beyond "just" making the tournament.

If an institution would like to mark both accomplishments, they should and with as much fanfare and 'bannerage' as they see fit.

(I realize this is not my fight, just my .02)
            Boston University Hockey
            1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post

Making the FF is also an impressive accomplishment, above and beyond "just" making the tournament.

If an institution would like to mark both accomplishments, they should and with as much fanfare and 'bannerage' as they see fit.

Then why do they only have 1 banner for their Frozen Four trip in 1996, not a second one for making the tourney?
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post

in having made the frozen four, it is fairly clear that vermont also made the NCAA tournament

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  Who did BC beat to get to the frozen four??
                  In my time...

1998 - #6 CC (also beat #4 OSU in the semis) - I know, this team was real SUSPECT! (also HE tourney champs)
                  1999 - #5, Northern Michigan, #1 N. Dakota (also HE tourney champs)
                  2000 - #5 MSU, #1 Wisconsin (also beat #2 SLU in semis)
                  2001 - #5 Maine (also beat #3 Michigan in semis and #2 ND in finals) (also HE tourney champs)
                  2004 - #4 Niagara, #2 Michigan
                  2006 - #2 Miami, #1 BU (also beat #2 N. Dakota in semis)
                  2007 - #3 SLU, #4 Miami, (also beat #3 N. Dakota in semis) (also HE tourney champs)
                  2008 - #3 Minnesota, #1 Miami (also beat #1 N. Dakota in semis and #4 Notre Dame in finals) (also HE tourney champs)

Pretty much every one of those teams validated themselves in the postseason. I'm afraid I can't say the same for UVM last year. Which is the whole point. Sometimes teams slip through the cracks like UVM did last year. It happens. No one has to apologize for it. Major accomplishment? Absolutely not.
                  Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 11-18-2009, 09:54 AM.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

In my time...

1998 - #6 CC (also beat #4 OSU in the semis) - I know, this team was real SUSPECT! (also HE tourney champs)
                    1999 - #5, Northern Michigan, #1 N. Dakota (also HE tourney champs)
                    2000 - #5 MSU, #1 Wisconsin (also beat #2 SLU in semis)
                    2001 - #5 Maine (also beat #3 Michigan in semis and #2 ND in finals) (also HE tourney champs)
                    2004 - #4 Niagara, #2 Michigan
                    2006 - #2 Miami, #1 BU (also beat #2 N. Dakota in semis)
                    2007 - #3 SLU, #4 Miami, (also beat #3 N. Dakota in semis) (also HE tourney champs)
                    2008 - #3 Minnesota, #1 Miami (also beat #1 N. Dakota in semis and #4 Notre Dame in finals) (also HE tourney champs)

Pretty much every one of those teams validated themselves in the postseason. I'm afraid I can't say the same for UVM last year. Which is the whole point. Sometimes teams slip through the cracks like UVM did last year. It happens. No one has to apologize for it. Major accomplishment? Absolutely not.
                    And in 2009??
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Pretty much every one of those teams validated themselves in the postseason. I'm afraid I can't say the same for UVM last year. Which is the whole point.
                      Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      And in 2009??
                      We all know you're dumb, but at least acknowledge why we're even having this discussion.

If you want to argue with someone else about BC in 2009, go for it. But I'm talking about UVM in 2009 and how they never validated their trip to DC with anything of substance. As you can see, some other teams do that from time to time (or... the majority of the decade).
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

So by your twisted logic a teams goal each year is not to make the NCAA's and go as far as they can but to VALIDATE themselves? I dont think any one the teams that made the NCAA's last year or any year care if you are impressed by how they got there. All this talk is only for those teams who didnt get there to make themselves feel better.

So its goes like this....if we get there its because we are great if anyone else does it has to be a fluke or luck or the refs or the draw etc etc etc.

It must have really killed you to see all of these undeserving schools play in the tournery while your team couldnt for you to be so bitter.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Major accomplishment? Absolutely not.
                          You're nuts!!! At the risk of stating the obvious, only 4 teams make it that far each year. You ask any fan before the season begins whether they'd be willing to sacrifice their left pinky if their team could make it to the FF, most would gladly hand you the axe.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                            So by your twisted logic a teams goal each year is not to make the NCAA's and go as far as they can but to VALIDATE themselves?
                            I never even remotely came close to hinting at that so why you infer that type of logic is mindboggling although we do know that the UVM fans are not exactly MENSA candidates

I dont think any one the teams that made the NCAA's last year or any year care if you are impressed by how they got there.
                            Of course not, they played the teams they were given and won.

All this talk is only for those teams who didnt get there to make themselves feel better.
                            False. Anyone can talk about this. I'm sure there are some folks from BU and Miami and even Bemidji that would have a similar opinion. Although, they WERE low seeds and did actually beat a quality team in the NCAAs. You see what I'm getting at here?

So its goes like this....if we get there its because we are great if anyone else does it has to be a fluke or luck or the refs or the draw etc etc etc.
                            No, it goes like this. If you beat good teams to get there, a good argument can be made that you are good and earned it. If you don't beat good teams to get there but beat good teams at the FF, a good argument can be made that you are good and earned it (especially given the angle that you play who you play). If you don't beat good teams to get there, and don't win a game there, and don't even have any other postseason success to speak of (HE tourney), then a good argument can be made that you are NOT good and snagged two wins against bad teams to get there. Of course, I've stated this several times.

It must have really killed you to see all of these undeserving schools play in the tournery while your team couldnt for you to be so bitter.
                            Yea, 8 FFs in 12 years, I got to see 7 of the 8 in person, 2 national titles, and 6 HE titles. SOOOOOOO BITTER!!!!!

Oh and you said undeserving schools as in plural. There was only one there. Singular.

It really kills you guys to know people out there aren't too impressed with wins over Yale and AFA. That's a shame.

Tex, I agree with you, but again, that's a separate topic.
                            Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 11-18-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

If you don't beat good teams to get there, and don't win a game there, and don't even have any other postseason success to speak of (HE tourney), then a good argument can be made that you are NOT good and snagged two wins against bad teams to get there. Of course, I've stated this several times.
                              How did Yale become a "bad" team? I remember watching the NCAA selection show on ESPN last year and there was talk of Yale being the team to beat in that region. UVM wasn't even mentioned except to say they were the 3 seed. Basically that same Yale team is currently ranked 9.

Comment

How did Yale become a "bad" team?
                                A few letters you are familiar with. ECAC.

Aside from that Cornell team in 2003 (and slightly less, the SLU team in 2000 ... both of which made the FF), they were not stacked with talent and simply not a high quality team. I think we'd all agree that while the PWR is a great system, it has its flaws, especially with teams that have very good records in bad conferences

UVM wasn't even mentioned except to say they were the 3 seed.
                                Is there a reason they weren't mentioned? Maybe because they weren't very good? Was AFA mentioned?

Comment

Working...
                                X