This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Yes, a good weekend - a very good recovery from the debacles of the prior two weekends. I hope we look back at those two Mack and Maine games as an aberration at the end of the year.

UVM seemed to start slow in each of the two games though. Kind of the same problem as Mack (after two shifts) and Maine where the slow starts buried them before they could get off the mat. I think they overcame the generally ineffective first periods partially because they were on home ice and had crowd support.

This team needs to come out stronger in the first on the road and sustain the effort.

I thought the D was much better this weekend overall. Franzon made some freshman mistakes but looks like a real solid player that the will need when they turn much of the D over after next year.

Mackenzie is also looking good.

Looks like Cullity may be gone for awhile. Is Lawson hurt? Not shocked to see him out Friday but two consecutive games tells me there is an injury? (missed the pregame radio both nights)

Milo was huge. What a spark to get him back. Irwin looked good again, he is stepping it up as needed. Having Milo back really does help the depth considerably.

McCarthy had a great game on Sunday. That fourth line was awesome. Leonard was good again, like his energy (call him Lenes). Maybe he has found a spot in the line-up. Good for him. Shows all the work and patience pays off. The 4th line was WAY, WAY better than any of the prior games that I had seen.

Marshall seemed to get going a bit this weekend but I still think there is a lot of upside hidden in there.

Hoping to see a bit more out of a few more forwards and a little more offense from the D, but overall a nice effort.

Spillane made all the saves, (except the one Franzon made). Congrats. Lots of rebounds though but most to the corner. Much different style than Madore that the D need to be ready for. At least he did not wander as far as he usually does... He only scared me once in his wandering. I suspect we are looking at a rotation for a while????......

BC will be ready for revenge. I hope the Cats bring their A game both nights. It would be nice to gather a few more points to make up for the Mack and Maine disappointments.

Comment

Cullity is now listed day to day according the Burlington Free Press.

Interesting Josh Franklin has quit the team. He didn't get a lot of time, but still a little unexpected.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...es-hockey-Cats
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Yeah, a bummer to see Franklin quit the team. Not sure what that says, maybe nothing. Maybe he saw Leonard get a chance after two years of waiting, saw him make the most of it, and figured he's now behind Albertson, Higgins, Atkinson, and maybe Anctil to get ice time. That leaves them a little thinner if they encounter a bunch of injuries, or a flu bug. But good luck to him and thanks for putting in the effort up until now.

Sounds like Cullity may miss this weekend but won't be gone for an extended time. Might cut down on his physicality though if that shoulder is questionable for a long time.

That was a pretty bad turnover that he made to end up taking that penalty and getting that injury. I hope he learns from it on tape. Can't hold onto the puck that long and make that turnover in your own zone when you are the only guy back.

Sounds like BC is playing a lot better recently. Those will be tough games. The Cats need to at least split. I think this weekend says a lot about where they are headed (of course you could say that about every weekend - but every weekend is truly critical).

Comment

Snowboarder, I was thinking back to the weekend and how very well I thought Franzon, a freshman, played, especially with the puck. You pointed out his freshman mistakes. On the play Cullity got hurt, you very correctly observed how he held onto the way too long as the last man back and then gave it up. He's a senior.

Snowboarder, what is a freshman mistake?
          Last edited by grantfan; 11-11-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

FYI, I was just looking at the video page on BC's website. It indicates that both UVM games this weekend will be "free events." So, if you can't be there, watch on your computer for free!

Comment

A freshman mistake would be doing something, or not doing something, that one would do, or not do, if one had more experience.

A senior mistake would be thinking that you can do more than last year because of your experience but not realizing that you are one year older, slower, and more senile.

Addition by subtraction.

I'm still surprised that Lawson was sitting but he will probably play this weekend with Cullity hurting. BC will be buzzing. Can the Cats wear them out with their size and strength on D or will BC wheel and deal freely as they wish?

Comment

I think we need to start 2 threads each week, one for talk about hockey and stuff , like going to the game etc and another just for JCater and the morons fans the other team has to try to prove which is more pathetic.
                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I think you are onto something there Cat Lover. I'm feeling fortunate to have enjoyed this board for a number of years before jcarter arrived on the scene and stirred up the morons down south. It's annoying to surf the garbage posts looking for something about hockey

I posted this over in the game thread but thought I would put it here so UVM fans don't need to waste time on 10 pages of irrelevant childish flaming.

Keys to the weekend for UVM:

1. UVM needs to stay out of the penalty box. They have been taking way too many penalties and their PK has been poor all year EXCEPT the one prior game against BC.

2. UVM needs to get their powerplay going. It's been awful all year thus far.

3. Having Milo back is HUGE for the Cats. He scored half their goals last weekend coming off over a month off skates with an injury. Having him back adds significantly to their depth and offensive capability.

4. Forward lines were completely changed last weekend and it created much better depth (see point 3 also) and consistency across the forward lines. We should see the same line combinations again.

5. Leonard, a Junior, played his first two games of his career last weekend. He reminded us fans of Peter Lenes in terms of energy and effort (and size). Nice to see the kid persevere through two years of practice with no game time and then hit the ice and be a difference maker. I suspect he earned another start on Saturday.

6. McCarthy had a great game Sunday centering the 4th line. Showing flashes of being an impact freshman in his fourth game (missed first two games to injury). He should be motivated to make a difference in the house that did not want him this year.

7. Roloff and Vock have been relatively quiet this year point wise although Roloff has been noticeable many games on the ice. Too much PK may be wearing them out. Look for them to get it going soon - hopefully Saturday.

8. Stacey missed a game to illness at Maine and despite scoring a goal last weekend did not seem to have the impact he had in the first three games of the season. Look for him to get it going also.

9. Probably the biggest key is the defense. It's an experienced D with only one freshman and one soph skating regularly (the freshman has played 3 games now I think). They have yet to play a collective decent road game as a unit. They finally got their game together on Sunday and gave up no more than a handful of quality chances. Interestingly, that was with a 5 man rotation after their one senior left the game with an injury about 4 minutes into the game.

10. Cullity is hurt, day to day. The coaching staff considers him a key leader. A few of us fans don't have any clue what goes on interpersonally but think that from an on ice product standpoint that him not playing might be addition by subtractions because he has problems staying out of the box.

11. Our largest player, Dan Lawson, sat both games last weekend. Kind of a shocker to me. I will be very surprised if he's not on the ice this weekend.

I would not be surprised to see Spillane Saturday, and possibly twice. Madore has not played up to his standard from last year. Spillane scares me with rebounds and wandering from the cage, but he might give a better shot to win right now. He was 7-2-? last year. That is a good win/loss ratio.

In any case, I hope the Cats bring their A+ game to a venue that has been "difficult" (understatement) for them since joining HE.

Comment

Thought you folks may enjoy this video. Only in the NHL would you see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8C3...layer_embedded

Have a good weekend!

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Your whole team looks like a bunch of Ben Bloods

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                        Thought you folks may enjoy this video. Only in the NHL would you see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8C3...layer_embedded

Have a good weekend!
                        i am going to operate under the impression that you found that video while googling "martin st. louis naked"

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
                          i am going to operate under the impression that you found that video while googling "martin st. louis naked"
                          win
                          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                            win
                            Until now the only good thing I could say of the BC posters is they at least kept their moronic babble in the game thread and stayed out of our thread but now I quess we can lump them in with the Lowell fans which is I know is a cheap shot.
                            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by massattack49 View Post
                              Your whole team looks like a bunch of Ben Bloods
                              The Tampa Bay Lightning is not my team..............

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                FYI, I was just looking at the video page on BC's website. It indicates that both UVM games this weekend will be "free events." So, if you can't be there, watch on your computer for free!
                                They are up there for free, but our web stuff seems to always have 'technical difficulties,' so you might end up having to rely on gametracker. In theory though, they will be streaming live for free. There's also free online audio, although I assume UVM has their own station.
                                BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                                -
                                Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X