This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Sadly uvm is clearly the worst team in HE right now. Worst special teams and can't stay out of the penalty box. How stupid is that. Sneddon must be beside himself. I expect to see franzon and herrington next weekend.

If they keep this up for long they will be out of contentio for home ice and out of the playoff picture. Pathetic and embarassing.

Comment

Highs are awfully high, lows are awfully low...

Before the opening weekend, our expectations were that this team would have difficulty finding the back of the net. After the past two weekends, we have found that is the reality.

Undisciplined hockey, taking bad penalty after bad penalty will not lead to success. Sneddon is going to bench some of the players that are not playing wise hockey and continually creating the power play opportunities for the opposing team.

The team needs to put the last game behind them, and focus on getting some offense going. Too much early success can lead to this kind of let down.

I for one, am not ready to throw the towel in on the season quite yet. Many more periods to play.....
      Last edited by funnnnn; 10-31-2009, 07:54 AM. Reason: I can not type
      Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Originally posted by funnnnn View Post
        Highs are awfully high, lows are awfully low...

Before the opening weekend, our expectations were that this team would have difficulty finding the back of the net. After the past two weekends, we have found that is the reality.

Undisciplined hockey, taking bad penalty after bad penalty will not lead to success. Sneddon is going to bench some of the players that are not playing wise hockey and continually creating the power play opportunities for the opposing team.

The team needs to put the last game behind them, and focus on getting some offense going. Too much early success can lead to this kind of let down.

I for one, am not ready to throw the towel in on the season quite yet. Many more periods to play...
        5 games so far - 4 on the road - October is done - 2 wins, 3 losses of which 2 are really bad losses (Merrimack and Maine) that the guys on the team apparently did not show up for to play.

29 games left to play, 7 coming up in November. Unfortunately, 6 of the 7 are one game affairs, with only the weekend series at BC a 2 game set. Really hate this early season, one game per team schedule. Can't really get into a flow and if the flow is what it is now, hard to get out of that rut...

Coach Sneddon - "There's going to be a yard sale of changes," Sneddon said. "I promised the team that. There will be a lot of line changes, guys in the stands. I just don't like how unemotional we were. We're a team that plays on positive emotion and we had blank stares in the first period. So we'll go with the guys we think that can turn it around for us."

This will be interesting, wakeup calls are good. Fortunately Lowell comes next and they are a good team. If the premise that this team plays to the level of their opponent, Friday's game should be good to watch and the Sunday game against Providence might not be. Both are at home so the faithfull can either cheer or boo and the players will hear them.
        Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Strong words from Sneddon, obviously he's upset and frustrated as he should be when the team doesn't play with emotion or intensity. You can take it if the team isn't clicking on passes or hitting their spots on shots but to not "bring it" in 2 consecutive hockey east league games must leave him seathing. Is this team lacking a little personality maybe, Lenes was always buzzing, chirping during games, and creating intensity within the team and Strong was a vocal leader but also got others to play better when you looked over the boards and he was taking one in the gutt on the penalty kill. I have a sense that the personality of the team is a little blah, bland, quiet and needs to come out of its' shell. I recommend a team trip to Chez Diane for a little bonding and a little personality outbreak.

Did anyone see the game in person or on the web? Just looking over the stats thats a ton of penalties, 11 minors, was the game called really tight or was there that much either lack of discipline or lazy play in that they had to hook or trip instead of skate hard.

They'll have to figure this out quick as UML in my opinion is hands down the team to beat in HE this year. Emotion shouldn't be a question next weekend with what appears to be some benchings and playing against a team that booted you out of the playoffs last year and seems to be an ever increasing rivalry.

Comment

I agree that there is a lot of season left. BUT these last two games were possibly the worst the Cats have played in terms of lack of effort in many years. And they certainly were to first consecutive games where there was a complete lack of EFFORT AND EXECUTION in MANY years. They always have that one stinker where they get pounded by BU or UNH but they usually put in effort in those games and just don't execute well. To have two complete stinkers in terms of EFFORT consecutively and get pounded by Merrimack and Maine tells a pretty clear and unfortunate story to me.

They are taking way too many penalties. Not a normal Sneddon team trait.

I agree that it seems to point to a lack of desire, and intensity, and to some degree to laziness. I don't know any of the players personally, nor do I want to, so I have no idea why and don't want to speculate.

I did understand in the preseason that Coach Sneddon thought this team could be better than last year. That encouraged me. He obviously is extremely dissapointed at this point.

I keep saying it over and over again. The D should be the rock of this team. Crushing the opposing players, wearing them out, contributing offensively. However, the D has been a no show on both ends of the ice for the most part. I wonder if a few of them have mentally checked out already - thinking that they are turning pro this spring? I guess the good news in their poor performance is that no pro team should be in a hurry to want their current contributions.

One comment about the upcoming UML game. This is a bad game to need to bench the starters and play the bench. UML is playing well and will crush the Cats if they go to a less skilled (and strong) lineup. Although, on the flip side, I agree that it needs to be done.

PC is also MUCH better than last year. At this point I would put the CATS and NU last in the league in terms of performance. PC will also crush the CATS if they continue the lazy, undisciplined play.

Come on Cats, let's get it together and play with effort and desire.

Comment

let's take a big deep breath and relax--there--much better.it's way too early to think this team is going to play this poorly for the rest of the season.growing pains and trying to find what style of hockey suits them best will be sorted out.if they are still playing below expectations come january, i'll start to worry then.every year is different and sometimes it takes longer to find your way.i have complete confidence in the coaching staff and the players to develope into a very competitive hockey east team.the only goal that matters is not the ncaa's or frozen four, but home ice for the lpayoffs----it all starts there.

Comment

Viktor Stalberg was sent to the AHL last Thursday. Based on today's game, it looks like he would like to get another shot at the NHL. 2 goals, 2 assists and 5 shots on goal, +3 in his game today.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1006221
                Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

It looks like Hockey East is going to be an interesting league to watch this year.

After Boston College beats Merrimack College on Friday night, MC turns the table on BC and beats them in their rink, 5-3. At one point, MC was up 5-1. They must have some serious home ice advantage with that high school rink they play in.

It might be a bit premature to write off this UVM team, snwbrdr. Lets see how they do at home this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                    After Boston College beats Merrimack College on Friday night, MC turns the table on BC and beats them in their rink, 5-3. At one point, MC was up 5-1. They must have some serious home ice advantage with that high school rink they play in.
                    You bet! In fact, we actually just bricked up the net that Merrimack defends in the first and third periods, hoping that the refs will be too busy complaining about the ice and the fans will be too busy complaining about the seats to notice. It also lets the offense rest during the second period-- after all, they know they can't score.

Hopefully by the end of the season fans of other teams will be able to admit Merrimack won a few games because they played well and not just because of the rink. The ice bed was redone this past offseason. It's not that big a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                      Sadly uvm is clearly the worst team in HE right now. Worst special teams and can't stay out of the penalty box. How stupid is that. Sneddon must be beside himself. I expect to see franzon and herrington next weekend.

If they keep this up for long they will be out of contentio for home ice and out of the playoff picture. Pathetic and embarassing.

Whooaa take a deep breath. The cats have played two horrible games no doubt about it, but ITS TWO GAMES !! If it was mid season it would be a bad weekend. Sure they need to get their heads out of their butts, but jeez......
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

In case the Catamounts embarass themselves and **** off everyone who roots for them again, I sincerely recommend a visit to the beautiful Maine coast. But you better stay for 2 days, because even that amazing beauty might not get you over the lousy feeling in just 1 day! At least, it didn't for me.

That was so bad. Very, very bad.

This week, in keeping with captain Kevin Miller's declaration that this team's character is that of a "blue collar" team, I will be donating to the Victory Club enough blue collars to sew onto the team's 3 jerseys. This way, no matter how Miller's team plays, even if they won't be able to say the team plays like a "blue collar" team, they will still talk about UVM's blue collars.

Quit with the words, save the drivel. Start doing your talking on the ice. And it'll be nice if captains Cullity and Miller start leading the team in some direction other than the penalty box.

And this year I'm not going to be second again. I'm nominating Coach Sneddon for the Penrose Trophy right now. It's his team and if they don't come out and play hard, especially after being humiliated the week before and after his strong, forceful admonitions and a week of his coaching and motivation, well, then he's my choice for Coach of the Year. And that's not even taking into account the powerplay for which he is so famous. If there is a coach with less ability to help kids perform a powerplay effectively, I don't want to watch their powerplay either! And that's not taking into account how poorly he handles goalies. He played Fallon long enough to cost the team an NCAA bid 2 years ago while probably contributing to the demise of Spillane as the heir apparent. And now, instead of playing Spillane against Merrimack, we now have a struggling, verbally-whipped Rob Madore on our hands, a goalie who, after BC, we were pretty happy with! Anyone second the motion of Kevin Sneddon for the Spencer Penrose Trophy?

For this team to play with no passion in the first period of that game was disappointing to me personally, because I really thought this would be a passionate team. The words during the week didn't mean anything to me, other than, let's see if the boys mean it. They didn't. Maybe they still will be, but it's not there now. And the coach doesn't seem to be able to bring it out of them when they seem to need help.

Friday night was bad. I'm not ready to say that's how the season is going to go. But a spark better come from somewhere and the team could use it pretty soon.

The more I think about, the less the wonderful, soothing effect of the Maine coast. I need to stop thinking about UVM v. Maine right now.
                        Last edited by grantfan; 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I almost went to the Merrimack game, thank goodness I did not.

And I was planning a short trip to Bar Harbor and was going to catch the Maine game on the way. I quickly abandoned that plan after the Merrimack whipping. It was pretty clear that was not a couple of bad bounces so the Maine result does not surprise me at all. Ok, well, I expected them to tie or lose by a goal, not get destroyed by a team that might not win 10 games.

The Cats have the ability. But not sure about the desire.

I can't lay this disaster on the coach though, I still like what he brings to the table. The upperclassmen on this team have to bring the effort to the ice.

The only problem I have with the coaches is that the PP is a wreck, always has been. Although at least they have laid off the bad angle shots from the left wing goal line the last couple of years. How about some MOVEMENT on the PP, a guy in front, and some slappers from the points (not into opposing shin pads).

Unless there is some miraculous immediate recovery I fully expect UVM to get demolished by Lowell and play a close game with PC.

Spillane should be in net for both. The freshmen need to be spread out among the other lines, and they need Milo back.

Longer term I hope this team, with all of it's potential (and they should be a top 10 to 15 team IMHO) gets its act together soon.

Comment

I can not believe but the UML fans are right, there are a few here that abandoning ship. Should we start a thread so we can be like Maine? A fire Sneddon thread?

Come on, MC is not a bad team and UVM didn't play well but MC has some skill, the ME games sucks too, but saying Sneddon is a horrible coach is just way off base.

Grantfan did you not read the post that said Spillane was out for the ME game? Blaming Sneddon for playing Madore? What would you have started Vazzano?

The powerplay has always been horrible, its clearly not Sneddon's forte, but since Sneddon took over this team has been competitive, and not for 4 years because of one good recruiting class but year after year. Don't want to watch the powerplay, good, don't bother. Who cares....

I mean two bad games, you would think we just finished a 3-20-4 season.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                              I can not believe but the UML fans are right
                              You finally came around to the light.

Seriously, I doubt your team is a major failure and it should figure out which way is up. I'd be ok if you guys figured it out, oh, next weekend, not Friday.

g'luck
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                                Unless there is some miraculous immediate recovery I fully expect UVM to get demolished by Lowell
                                thanks for seeing it our way.

Comment

Working...
                                X