X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Originally posted by VT_Catamounts26 View Post
    Some thoughts on some freshmen:

They seemed to rely heavily on Mccarthy tonight, and it payed off; he seems like the real deal.
    His goal was nice to see. He had puck, kind of lost it and still had the presence of mind to find it and put it in the back of the net.

Originally posted by VT_Catamounts26 View Post
    Franzon and Albertson played decently against New Brunswick. Didn't see them tonight though.
    Both played game 2 against Denver. They provide nice options for this coaching staff. Competition in practice would be fun to watch to see who gets to play come game time. Have to believe once the season really gets going, they will see ice time.
    Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Very encouraged by tonight's win over BC. UVM sure is looking good these days
      ... especially in the fond, wistful memories of this old man, watching from afar.

*****http://www.uvm.edu/www/magic/templates/home/mainhomeimages/message-1.jpg******
      GaryH - UVM Class of '73
      "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        If it makes you feel better I could switch it to NU or some other team that has had recent success but not such a grand history as BC.
        NU has had recent success and BC hasn't? Hm, I must be following a different sport.
        time to write new history

Comment

I don't know that UVM was out played either. I thought the play through the first was pretty even, BC started off hot and UVM a little flat but over the full period seemed pretty even. BC definitely carried the play through most of the second, but UVM out played them in the third. Play seemed to be pretty even IMHO. Difference, UVM's defense wore down BC and Madore stopped BC when he needed to. PK was good, PP was good and UVM took advantage of their opportunities.

Great goal by McCarthy. Has to feel good to be against the coach that thought you weren't ready. His play tonight looked otherwise.

I think Sneddon has another great recruiting class. Nillson-Roos, Pacan, Stalberg and McCarthy will all see a lot of ice time and I think they all can have a big impact. The Stalberg line looks good and McCarthy along with Roloff looked good as well.

14 goals in 3 games against the #1 and #12 ranked teams is good to see. If that pace can continue UVM will be in the top of the heap. Here's hoping.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

For the performance the team put on last nigt, I thought the crowd, other than the student section, was pretty quiet for long periods of time. Against BC, the team created the excitement in the Gutt, not the crowd, which really is as it should be. I hope the complaints about the student section stop because they were great last night.

People are going to start realizing this Cats team is pretty darn good. With Madore in net, I'm sure the players just don't think pucks are going to go in the net. He's a fantastic goalie. I expect to see Spillane in one of the next 2 games, and the team will need him to be ready to play, too, but in Madore, UVM seems to have a special goalie. And at his size, I really do not think he's a flight risk.

Irwin is playing great, Vock is playing great. Downing is playing great. Roloff is fantastic. Higgins is playing terrific. Stacey is playing great. The freshman line is tremendous, the puck is always moving in the right direction when they're on the ice. McCarthy was great last night. Those 4 freshman are very sound players who seem to really know how the game is played.

The defense is battling and moving the puck much better, I think, than they did last year, but they're doing some strange things, too. Cullity's between the legs drop pass set up Vock's goal but I couldn't figure out what he was doing down below the goal line and I really couldn't figure out his chasing down an icing at the BC end! If coach Sneddon benched Burrows for defensive play, we saw a little of what he saw last night. Josh is far better with the puck on offense than without it on defense. Great rush up the ice by Medvec that led to Stacey's goal, just wonder why the big guy doesn't get on his horse like that a couple more times a game and why he doesn't let the big shot from the point go more often.

The main thing is, the defense is battling hard and they'll be fine in front of Madore.

After last night's game, if BC is a contender at the end of the season, Jerry York will be the Coach of the Year. Muse does not look healthy, so if the recommended treatment following hip surgery is playing goalie, he'll be fine. In case it's not, he could hurt BC this year. Maybe all of the defensemen will be better pros than college players, but I didn't think they were good last night. I thought BC's point men on the powerplay were awful. Their powerplay became a joke as the game wore on. So much so, that I loved Lawson's pop of that little BC guy in the third period. Lawson got his 2 minutes worth and then we had little to worry about a man down. Kreider may be a fast skater, like our Matt Marshall, but he can skate it over the blue line and throw a wrist shot at the net all he wants. If he's not going to use his speed to try to beat the defenseman, like he did easily and often in prep school, have fun out there, big boy.

My favorite BC thing last night, though, was when S. Whitney carried the puck all the way around UVM's offensive zone in the 3rd period before throwing the puck away and sending the Cats up ice. Boy is he skilled. Boy is he fast. Boy does that look good in shinny. Boy did he look like a little boy doing that in a game.

After watching last night's game, I think UVM is capable of going down to Boston in November and taking 3 or 4 points from this BC team. BC will get great coaching, to be sure, but they looked mighty soft to me last night. So they're young. All of Vermont's kids are college age, too.

Vermont looked great once they found their form in the second half of the first period. And how about giving up a not-good goal early and just forgetting about it and going about their business? I thought the Cats were mighty impressive last night.

And I hope it will always be the team that creates the buzz in the building rather than hoping for the crowd to get them going. I think this team is going to play most nights with a real passion and it's going to be fun to watch. Last night was great to witness.
            Last edited by grantfan; 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Kudos to the new and improved band...........
              They really contributed to the fantastic atmosphere last night!
              Love the new songs "Sweet Caroline" and "Shipping up to Boston"

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                Not only did they score 4 goals against BC, they beat the crap out of them physically!
                This was key. That was the most concerning element about the game from my perspective. UVM wore down BC physically.

I don't think Muse had a bad game at all, really, and I'm really kind of surprised to see people saying that. I thought two of the four goals were completely unstoppable, set up by gorgeous passes. The second UVM goal took a weird deflection (I thought it was kicked in but it apparently went in off a BC player?). I couldn't see the breakaway goal very well because it was down the other end of the ice and my seats were terrible, so that may have been a softie.

Vermont's going to be a tough team to play this year if they keep that up. Good passing, great goaltending, very physical. It's a recipe for success.
                BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                -
                Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                  For the performance the team put on last nigt, I thought the crowd, other than the student section, was pretty quiet for long periods of time. Against BC, the team created the excitement in the Gutt, not the crowd, which really is as it should be. I hope the complaints about the student section stop because they were great last night.

People are going to start realizing this Cats team is pretty darn good. With Madore in net, I'm sure the players just don't think pucks are going to go in the net. He's a fantastic goalie. I expect to see Spillane in one of the next 2 games, and the team will need him to be ready to play, too, but in Madore, UVM seems to have a special goalie. And at his size, I really do not think he's a flight risk.

Irwin is playing great, Vock is playing great. Downing is playing great. Roloff is fantastic. Higgins is playing terrific. Stacey is playing great. The freshman line is tremendous, the puck is always moving in the right direction when they're on the ice. McCarthy was great last night. Those 4 freshman are very sound players who seem to really know how the game is played.

The defense is battling and moving the puck much better, I think, than they did last year, but they're doing some strange things, too. Cullity's between the legs drop pass set up Vock's goal but I couldn't figure out what he was doing down below the goal line and I really couldn't figure out his chasing down an icing at the BC end! If coach Sneddon benched Burrows for defensive play, we saw a little of what he saw last night. Josh is far better with the puck on offense than without it on defense. Great rush up the ice by Medvec that led to Stacey's goal, just wonder why the big guy doesn't get on his horse like that a couple more times a game and why he doesn't let the big shot from the point go more often.

The main thing is, the defense is battling hard and they'll be fine in front of Madore.

After last night's game, if BC is a contender at the end of the season, Jerry York will be the Coach of the Year. Muse does not look healthy, so if the recommended treatment following hip surgery is playing goalie, he'll be fine. In case it's not, he could hurt BC this year. Maybe all of the defensemen will be better pros than college players, but I didn't think they were good last night. I thought BC's point men on the powerplay were awful. Their powerplay became a joke as the game wore on. So much so, that I loved Lawson's pop of that little BC guy in the third period. Lawson got his 2 minutes worth and then we had little to worry about a man down. Kreider may be a fast skater, like our Matt Marshall, but he can skate it over the blue line and throw a wrist shot at the net all he wants. If he's not going to use his speed to try to beat the defenseman, like he did easily and often in prep school, have fun out there, big boy.

My favorite BC thing last night, though, was when S. Whitney carried the puck all the way around UVM's offensive zone in the 3rd period before throwing the puck away and sending the Cats up ice. Boy is he skilled. Boy is he fast. Boy does that look good in shinny. Boy did he look like a little boy doing that in a game.

After watching last night's game, I think UVM is capable of going down to Boston in November and taking 3 or 4 points from this BC team. BC will get great coaching, to be sure, but they looked mighty soft to me last night. So they're young. All of Vermont's kids are college age, too.

Vermont looked great once they found their form in the second half of the first period. And how about giving up a not-good goal early and just forgetting about it and going about their business? I thought the Cats were mighty impressive last night.

And I hope it will always be the team that creates the buzz in the building rather than hoping for the crowd to get them going. I think this team is going to play most nights with a real passion and it's going to be fun to watch. Last night was great to witness.
                  Great post. Correct on all counts.
                  BC's frosh won't progress... few do at BC.
                  BC will look worse in November than they did in their 1st game of the year. It's a Jerry York coached team, after all.
                  Vermont owns BC.

As for VT... your boys are in mid season form. Can't see them losing another game this season. Coaching, speed, D, goaltending... what team can beat that?

Great game last night.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                    This was key. That was the most concerning element about the game from my perspective. UVM wore down BC physically.

I don't think Muse had a bad game at all, really, and I'm really kind of surprised to see people saying that. I thought two of the four goals were completely unstoppable, set up by gorgeous passes. The second UVM goal took a weird deflection (I thought it was kicked in but it apparently went in off a BC player?). I couldn't see the breakaway goal very well because it was down the other end of the ice and my seats were terrible, so that may have been a softie.

Vermont's going to be a tough team to play this year if they keep that up. Good passing, great goaltending, very physical. It's a recipe for success.
                    I tend to agree here. BC was tired toward the end of the game and made some errors in passing but overall they are a tough team to play. I think in Hockey East on any given night any of the ten teams can get the better of their opponent. I think if Muse was having a bad game Coach York would have pulled him. He looked good in net but some of the goals were point blank and not stoppable. All in all the UVM-BC matchups are always great to watch. If your seats were terrible you were probably in Section 1 - can't see the far left corner at all - and that's where all the action seemed to be last night!

Comment

Watched a bit of the Vermont-BC game last night. Just thought I'd give my props to the Vermont defense. Wow! That PK was out-fricking-standing ! (which was good, because they had a LOT of chances to work on the PK in the second period) Guys were rarely out of position, pushing out to the boards, always in the shooting lane, and attacking the point. For guy like myself that loves to see great defensive hockey, that was about as good as it gets.

The one critique I would have is in the offensive zone. Not sure if they were gripping their sticks too tight, but they just didn't look comfortable in traffic on O. When they got a little space to work, they did fine; but they struggled a bit when bodied up. McCarthey's (i think) falling goal towards the end of period 2 was definitely reminiscent of a number of Ovechkin's goals here in DC.

But anyway, great job last night and good luck the rest of the way.
                      Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        14 goals in 3 games against the #1 and #12 ranked teams is good to see. If that pace can continue UVM will be in the top of the heap. Here's hoping.
                        14 goals in 71 shots!
                        Need UVM Tickets? Drop me a line.
                        October 30, 2010 - Vermont's Bear Hunting Season

Comment

FiveHole, I think you can glean from my comments that I know Jerry York is a great coach.

I am saying the BC freshman look soft. And by freshmen, I include J. Whitney, B. Almeida and J. Hayes. BC looked very soft. I thought the BC team looked soft last night.

Did you like Kreider's rushes up the ice? Jimmy Hayes look like a big, tough guy to handle? With skills? Did I miss Almeida standing out? Was Cam Atkinson fantastic? Aside from mocking, please tell me what I missed yesterday? Mullane? Help me here? They all looked very comfortable out on the perimeter.

BC will always be an opponent to be respected. Cliches say they'll be very hungry and angry and pumped up to give it back to Vermont on their home ice in November. Maybe they will. They'll play harder, they'll crash the Vermont net, get bodies in front of Madore. If you have others bring them out in mid-November.

BC will get great coaching.

We'll see what Coach York has to work with this season. I, for one, wasn't impressed with much about BC last night. Except, maybe J. Whitney's slapshot. And S. Whitney's stickhandling.

Help me here, FiveHole.

Comment

FiveHole, I think you can glean from my comments that I know Jerry York is a great coach.

I am saying the BC freshman look soft. And by freshmen, I include J. Whitney, B. Almeida and J. Hayes. BC looked very soft. I thought the BC team looked soft last night.

Did you like Kreider's rushes up the ice? Jimmy Hayes look like a big, tough guy to handle? With skills? Did I miss Almeida standing out? Was Cam Atkinson fantastic? Aside from mocking, please tell me what I missed yesterday? Mullane? Help me here? They all looked very comfortable out on the perimeter.

BC will always be an opponent to be respected. Cliches say they'll be very hungry and angry and pumped up to give it back to Vermont on their home ice in November. Maybe they will. They'll play harder, they'll crash the Vermont net, get bodies in front of Madore. If you have others bring them out in mid-November.

BC will get great coaching.

We'll see what Coach York has to work with this season. I, for one, wasn't impressed with much about BC last night. Except, maybe J. Whitney's slapshot. And S. Whitney's stickhandling.

Help me here, FiveHole.
                            huh? Relax a bit, your typing to fast and I can't even figure out what it is you are trying to say. Remember sarcasm does not come through well in type.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Thank you for your contribution, jcarter. I think even the UML fans would agree you contribute more on their thread than you just did here.

Should I type slower for your benefit*?

* = SARCASM ALERT

Comment

Thank you for your contribution, jcarter. I think even the UML fans would agree you contribute more on their thread than you just did here.

Should I type slower for your benefit*?

* = SARCASM ALERT
                                I thought BC looked soft, too. I know they always peak late in the season, but then again, Maine used to peak late as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X