Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI @ UMass (10/8/09) and UNH @ RPI (10/10/09)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI @ UMass (10/8/09) and UNH @ RPI (10/10/09)

It's a week until RPI's first non-exhibition game. Time to start a thread. Since neither of our first two opponents have another non-exhibition game in this time period, I might as well just make a single thread.

As an RPI fan, I am eager to learn how RPI's #9 ranked recruiting class performs. Other questions are if highly touted but injured 2008 recruit Mike Bergin will be a force on the blue line, if Allen York will continue his stellar playoff performance from the playoffs, and if the incoming recruits will take pressure off of the returning forwards increasing their output.

Any reports about UMass and UNH?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI @ UMass (10/8/09) and UNH @ RPI (10/10/09)

UMass will likely be comparable to last year, hopefully a bit better. They return Hockey East top co-scorer James Marcou and HEA top freshman scorer Casey Wellman. All Conference defenseman Justin Braun is back as is starting goaltender Paul Dainton. It’ll be interesting to see if style of play changes at all as the last few recruiting classes, including this years, is built completely around small but very fast forwards. As a result the team has little to no real big, physical players. One wildcard could by Ryan Leary who was one of the top rookies in DIII a couple years ago before transferring to UMass. Not sure what to expect from him at this level
    MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
    NCAA Appearance: 2007
    1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
    http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

UNH enters the season with the lowest expectations in years. They lost 5 of their top 8 scorers to graduation, the pros and dismissal from the program. Also, 3 of the top 5 members of the recruiting class did not end up on campus. However, there are still a few goal scorers on the roster, a few experienced d-men and a senior goalie in Brian Foster who will be healthy for the first time since last October.
      I am very excited to make my first trip to RPI, and look forward to what I feel will be a close game. Definitely excited to see Pirri and D'Amigo in action.
      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I'm tentatively planning to go to the UMass game on Thursday night.

I plan to get out of work as early as 3pm in Albany.

Any reputable(regular posters) people on here want to car pool, let me know.
        I have room for 2 people(3 if you give me advance warning to clean up the one seat that is currently cluttered) My only stop I really want to make is Whole Foods in Hadley after the game(they close at 10)

Comment

Screw this, I'm going to Ohio.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

RPI tied UPEI 3-3 on Saturday (and won a shootout 2-1). They came back from a 3-1 deficit. The three goals were all by freshmen (Pirri, D'Amigo, O'Grady) and all on the powerplay.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-04-2009, 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              RPI tied UPEI 3-3 on Saturday (and won a shootout 2-1). They came back from a 3-1 deficit. The three goals were all be freshmen (Pirri, D'Amigo, O'Grady) and all on the powerplay.
              Nice warm up but we start with a clean slate thursday. I have a much better feeling about RPI this year than I have had the past 3 years but that is not saying much. The freshmen are young and it appears they will be leading the team. It was good to see however that they do have a more impressive power play this year than they have had the past 2 years (that isnt saying very much though).
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Must be an exhibition kind of night , and we're hosting our good Canadian friends... in other action tonight
                New Brunswick 3, U Mass 2
                UNH 8, Acadia 1
                BU 2, St Francis Xavier 2 no word on shootout result
                Last edited by fr joe; 10-03-2009, 11:17 PM.
                Here we come!

Comment

all i can say is that after the pounding umass put on rpi last year in Troy there should be no excuse for a loss at home. i know that rpi has a pretty good recruiting class, headlined with players like Jerry D'Amigo but honestly if UMass can't beat them at home, I don't expect them to win very much this year.
                  Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                    all i can say is that after the pounding umass put on rpi last year in Troy there should be no excuse for a loss at home.
                    Yeah, and "last year" my stock portfolio was worth a lot more than it is now. UMass lost to NB last night and RPI came back to tie PEI with a shootout win. If you ask me, it sounds like the makings for a good game.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

all i can say is that after the pounding umass put on rpi last year in Troy there should be no excuse for a loss at home. i know that rpi has a pretty good recruiting class, headlined with players like Jerry D'Amigo but honestly if UMass can't beat them at home, I don't expect them to win very much this year.
                      Just don't injure any of our players this time. Beating us 6-0 is one thing, but injuring Bergin is quite another.

Comment

This makes sense, since I don't expect them to win very much this year.

Comment

How does UMass getting punked by UNB last night figure into the equation?

Also, you expected to win much this year?
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                            How does UMass getting punked by UNB last night figure into the equation?
                            Schools in the maritimes (like UNB, UPEI, SFX, Acadia, etc.) are usually pretty good. Don't read too much into it. If you wanted a pushover you should have scheduled Toronto or Ottawa or Trois-Rivieres.

Comment

What does last year have to do with this year?? Both teams have graduated players, brought in new players, etc..

RPI grew late last season and was 1 win away from the conference semis and that would have been all accomplished on the road.

So then if RPI wins, say, in OT or the game is close you are saying your season will be a failure just because it happened at home?

Comment

Working...
                              X