Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Its almost that time of year again, exhibition this weekend. There are plenty of doubts about the team this year, as there are every year, but this year marks a pivitol point in Cronin's rebuilding plan. May the banter begin . . .

Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thie

Thiessen left?

I'm anxious to see the new recruiting class (sans a Daniels) and what some of the new line combos are going to look like. Is what I'm hearing about Daniels' shoulder keeping him out for a month an a half accurate?

Comment

Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

I heard that he is going to be out some time but I would rather have that early on than later in the year. Also, I know some people were saying they thought that the brothers could have used another year in the USHL to develop their skills. Basically I've heard to not expect them to step in and produce at the level Quailer and Tuckerman did last season.

Comment

Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

I am much more anxious to see the defensive freshman as they are going to have to fill Liotti and Chisholm shoes(and to a smaller degree Nycholat) or Rawlings/Binnington are going to face a ton of shots and chances from day 1.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
          I am much more anxious to see the defensive freshman as they are going to have to fill Liotti and Chisholm shoes(and to a smaller degree Nycholat) or Rawlings/Binnington are going to face a ton of shots and chances from day 1.
          Same, our D is the biggest question mark, goalie included. We all think Rawlings will be the guy, but how long will it take for him to be the guy? will there be a rotation of some sort? How well will he adjust to Hockey East after dominating the BCHL?

Lots of question marks, but the bright side is, we're young, the future looks bright.
          Arenas Attended
          Matthews Arena
          Agganis Arena
          Tsongas Arena
          Lawler Arena
          Schneider Arena
          Mullins Center
          TD Banknorth Garden
          Conte Forum
          Whittemore Center
          Gutterson Fieldhouse
          Alfond Arena
          Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
            Same, our D is the biggest question mark, goalie included. We all think Rawlings will be the guy, but how long will it take for him to be the guy? will there be a rotation of some sort? How well will he adjust to Hockey East after dominating the BCHL?

Lots of question marks, but the bright side is, we're young, the future looks bright.
            The bad news is that our D and goaltending will be young and inexperienced this season. The good news is that if Cronin can teach anything, it is defense. I think our D will be just fine and the defensive responsibility of our forwards will help out a lot. So in terms of goaltending, here are two stat lines for you guys. I figured I would just throw up an obvious comparison here:

W L T SO Min GAA S SV%

30 15 1 2 2778 2.83 1545 91.52
            22 21 4 7 2812 2.88 1731 92.2

The top line is Rawlings' stats from last season ('08-'09) while the bottom line belongs to . . . Brad Thiessen circa '05-'06. So what does this tell us? I'm not saying Rawlings is giong to turn out to be as good as Thiessen, but I do think that we can expect him to turn into a very solid option in net. I would expect some sort of a time share between goaltenders, but I think he will win more time as the season goes on. There is no question that our ability to compete in the league this year will be directly related our goaltending.

Comment

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but Rawlings is ranked #6 on INCH's top 10 incoming goaltenders

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...sgoal_0801.htm

They say right in the article how hard it is to predict how goalie recruits will perform, but it is encouraging to see him included on this list.
              my huskies > your huskies

Comment

Originally posted by NU bee View Post
                I don't know if this was mentioned already, but Rawlings is ranked #6 on INCH's top 10 incoming goaltenders

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...sgoal_0801.htm

They say right in the article how hard it is to predict how goalie recruits will perform, but it is encouraging to see him included on this list.
                If he performs as well as Cannata did at Merrimack last year(the previous years #6), I'd be thrilled. We'll score plenty more than Merrimack as we'll probably have to!

I'm guessing first line of MacLeod, McNeely and Kraemer? Be fun to see how the pairings turn out.

Comment

Also, looks like we have another commitment from Luke Eibler (D- Youngstown USHL) for the 2010 or 2011 season. It really looks like Cronin is going to work to build up the D over the next few years. They have done a great job finding talent and players that fit in the system, but, as I've said before, I would like to see a couple top tier recruits buy into the program here. I'm not looking for a whole class of Mike Morris type players (minus the injuries), but I think with a couple more successful years, we should be expecting our freshmen to play like Quailer and Tuckerman, and not just play a 4th line checking role.

Comment

http://www.wrbbsports.com/2009/10/pr...ast-media-day/

From DHD...

sounds like cronin is going to be around for a while. GREAT NEWS
                    Arenas Attended
                    Matthews Arena
                    Agganis Arena
                    Tsongas Arena
                    Lawler Arena
                    Schneider Arena
                    Mullins Center
                    TD Banknorth Garden
                    Conte Forum
                    Whittemore Center
                    Gutterson Fieldhouse
                    Alfond Arena
                    Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                      http://www.wrbbsports.com/2009/10/pr...ast-media-day/

From DHD...

sounds like cronin is going to be around for a while. GREAT NEWS
                      I listened to the audio clips the other day and I think Cronin staying around will be a huge part of program for years to come. They are going to give him a real chance to show what he can do over a few more years with his core of players already in place. The last thing I wanted to see is someone else behind the bench. In my mind he is the right guy for this job, no questions asked.

Comment

The renovation is on the front page now.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                        HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                        HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                          The renovation is on the front page now.
                          The arena looks gorgeous! Worth every penny!

Hope it helps with recruiting as much as Cro thinks it will, at this point I will gladly issue the phrase "In Cro we Trust!"
                          MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

Reports from the captain’s practice. Daniel’s brothers are better than advertised, Justin out for at least two months with shoulder injury. Will be Cronin’s best frosh class. Rawlings good but not great. Vrolyk and Student super fast!
                            Vermeersh plays like MacLeod. Fun starts tonight.

Comment

Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thie

Suffice it to say that will be the last time St. Thomas' darkens Matthews' doorway. It's a shame that an exhibition was turned into such a goon-fest. Here's hoping Qualier's okay, but I'm not optimistic, that looked ugly; did anybody see the hit? Clean?

Mixed reviews for our freshmen: I thought Vrolyk and Vermeerch were the two most impressive. Vrolyk is a pesky forechecker and worked hard for every loose puck, he deserved his goal. Vermeerch is essentially Vrolyk + 4 inches and 15 pounds.

Newton and Ellement were on and off, while Student wasn't overly impressive in his own zone.

What can you say about the goalies that hasn't already been said about HIV. God help us if either play this poorly against CC.

Comment

Working...
                              X