Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

What progress the Huskies have made since I saw them play Maine and Merrimack in November and December. Greg Cronin seems to have hit the medal to the pedal at the right time. The Huskies have three skilled forwards, but are one of those "lunch pale" teams that work hard and grind out victories. Love watching games at Matthews.

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thie

NU did a great job of neutralizing the speed of BC tonight for the most part. I noticed a lot of pressure on the puck carriers for most of the night, which forced BC to make some passes a bit quicker than they may have wanted to. Whatever it was, NU did a great job defensively, especially in the first two periods. BC had a ton of pressure for a good part of the third, but Rawlings was up to the task. Great blast by Chris Kreider to beat Rawlings in the 3rd...man, Kreider impresses me (especially his highlight reel goal against BU in the Beanpot).

Very well officiated game, tonight. We often forget to credit the officials when they deserve it, and I feel that they did an outstanding job tonight.

Anyway, Matthews was a great environment tonight, the students were outstanding, and BC had a good, loud showing, too. All in all it was one hell of a night!
      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
      -dggoddard

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Good, solid, hard fought win over a talented squad. Echoing everyone's sentiments.. well played team! I will just add.. on that first BC goal, i think we got a bit lazy clearing our zone (twice).. letting the Eagles take advantage. Up until then.. tempo was well controlled.

Also, on our PP (few that we did earn, BC played quite disciplined save the Gibbons hit..), we got to shoot on net when the lanes are open. I thought several times they were & we passed a ton.. it worked out okay tonight, but.. i feel we gotta get more shots on net & hunt for those rebounds.

Well, let's enjoy this one.. tonight anyways. What a great job by special teams.

Way to go everyone
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          BC played quite disciplined save the Gibbons hit..
          I didn't think it warranted a 4 minute penalty, but I'm obviously biased. What did it look like from a better vantage point? I thought it was a bit of a charge, but not a bad hit overall.
          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
          -
          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

To me.. (obviously biased as well).. vicious hit down low (head area). Actually thought he was going to get the door.. (again, just my opinion).. refs took the middle ground between our opinions
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

OMG..I may stand so corrected! What a game..I am a big enough man to happily eat my words and a great deal of what I have posted.

The boys are playing terrific and perhaps the their best hockey since the season of the gods 1982. Great D , unreal PK and so super sick Goal tending!

Who is playing better college hockey in late Feb than NU Nationally..
              ANSWER ...NOBODY!

I have to admit I was perhaps wrong in my critiques and resent posts!

Hats off one of to one of the best performances I have seen in over 20 years! Its all about jelling at the rite time. This team could surprise!

Can you imagine what the future holds for this young team?

Greg Cronin..I hear you have them sparing and boxing in the gym. Genius?
              I don't know as it is to early to tell but tell me where can you spend $12 to $18 bucks anywhere and get more bank for your buck...

ANSWER:
              No where

Peace
              RR

Comment

I saw the ref's hand up signaling a penalty beore the hit was even finished... makes me thing the second 2 minutes was for the vicious hit, and the first 2 minutes was for something a little less malicious...

I could be wrong, but like I said I swear I saw the penalty called before the hit...

I just looked into the rest of the HE schedule, and we've got our work cut out for us! The last two games of the season against BU will be the most intense of the season, as we will likely both be battling for home ice (4th and 5th)

I'm going to make a guess (judging by our schedule vs theirs) a split with BU at the end would put us one point behind them, giving us 5th place. Hey, better than 9th like we all feared a couple weeks ago, but we need these boys to REALLY step it up if we want some extra games at Matthews.

We can't afford to lose any points at home, and any ties or wins away will be just what we need...
                Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                  I didn't think it warranted a 4 minute penalty, but I'm obviously biased. What did it look like from a better vantage point? I thought it was a bit of a charge, but not a bad hit overall.
                  Choog mentioned it below but it was not a double minor. It was two separate calls, heck Rawlings was almost to the bench when the second call came...

Now I didn't see the first call (the charging I think) but I did see the contact to the head (the second).

Anyway, can't comment not seeing the first, but on the whole I think the two refs did a nice enough job tonight

A huge win for the Huskies, they are on fire, this. is. awesome.
                  MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

So tonight's attendance at Matthew's is listed as 4666, so was the BU game earlier this year, I'm assuming both were sellouts. I was on the Matthew's wikipedia page earlier and while I know not to trust wiki entirely it cites this article, http://gonu.com/mhockey/2009/game04.htm , as a source for saying the seating capacity at Matthew's is 5,407... were these seats lost in the renovation or something?
                    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Postgame Video from Tonight Courtesy of Inside Hockey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWDdgAtlSA

Also check out the Game Recap: http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/5978 and the notebook: http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/5982

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                        So tonight's attendance at Matthew's is listed as 4666, so was the BU game earlier this year, I'm assuming both were sellouts. I was on the Matthew's wikipedia page earlier and while I know not to trust wiki entirely it cites this article, http://gonu.com/mhockey/2009/game04.htm , as a source for saying the seating capacity at Matthew's is 5,407... were these seats lost in the renovation or something?
                        Short answer yes, the seats are bigger, they got rid of some of the awful sight line seats, and the BFD f'ed 'em hard on fire code so at the end of the day they lost close to 1,000 seats (or really capacity, including standing room) where many students go regardless if they have a ticket down low or not...
                        MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyMan View Post
                          Short answer yes, the seats are bigger, they got rid of some of the awful sight line seats, and the BFD f'ed 'em hard on fire code so at the end of the day they lost close to 1,000 seats (or really capacity, including standing room) where many students go regardless if they have a ticket down low or not...
                          I shall fix the wikipedia article of this legendary and spectacular venue.
                          Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Gallery added to recap - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/02/19/bc-nu.php

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by choog View Post
                              I just looked into the rest of the HE schedule, and we've got our work cut out for us! The last two games of the season against BU will be the most intense of the season, as we will likely both be battling for home ice (4th and 5th)

I'm going to make a guess (judging by our schedule vs theirs) a split with BU at the end would put us one point behind them, giving us 5th place. Hey, better than 9th like we all feared a couple weeks ago, but we need these boys to REALLY step it up if we want some extra games at Matthews.
                              Your comment presumes that bu is one point ahead, and in 4th place in HE, of NU going into the last week of the season and no other team can pass either of us. If NU is ahead of bu by 1 point (and in 4th place) at that time, a split would be just fine with me.
                              Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaeagle64 View Post
                                Your comment presumes that bu is one point ahead, and in 4th place in HE, of NU going into the last week of the season and no other team can pass either of us. If NU is ahead of bu by 1 point (and in 4th place) at that time, a split would be just fine with me.
                                Hey if we're up by one on BU in fourth place going into the last weekend, I'd be more than happy with a split. I'm not sayin' - I'm just saying.
                                Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

Working...
                                X