• INCH names nation's top recruiting classes

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...steam_0801.htm

Here we go once again....

Re: INCH names nation's top recruiting classes

Michigan in 10th? Blasphemy!
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Seems RPI always gets mentioned on this list but the teams never materialize. Is this the year for Coach Appert to turn the corner?
      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
        Seems RPI always gets mentioned on this list but the teams never materialize. Is this the year for Coach Appert to turn the corner?
        INCH sucks.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Appert is in the third year with his own recruits. I expect they will be improved this year. Certainly, he is landing some solid talent, and I think it's only a matter of time there....

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            INCH sucks.
            That may be true, but in this case they did nothing more then compile the opinions of college and junior coaches as well as scouts.
            Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Does anybody have the resources, or time for that matter, to research past INCH predictions and see how the teams have fared?

Just askin' .
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                Does anybody have the resources, or time for that matter, to research past INCH predictions and see how the teams have fared?

Just askin' .
                INCH Ranks Recruiting Classes & Key Recruits

Last edited by dggoddard; 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

This is the third year consecutive year that RPI has been mentioned, and the third consecutive year that two players were chosen on the position lists. I am pretty sure that RPI had never had a mention before then.

Last year's two selections, Mike Bergin and Allen York, hardly played. Bergin was injured after 6 games and received a medical redshirt. York backed up Matthias Lange in goal until the end of the season when he won the job and almost got RPI to Albany. Both will be counted on this season, expecially York. http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...3125271288.txt
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM. Reason: typos
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We are very lucky to have not one, but three web sites covering our sport. Each has it's advantages and some weaknesses, in my mind.

USCHO has the longest history, some decent stats and with this message board, offers the true pulse of the die-hard college hockey fan. Editorially, it's a bit of hit and miss (more party-line stuff than deep reporting), but considering there is little money to be made on these ventures, I consider all editorial content to be a bonus. I'd like to see these guys go deeper than they do...

CHN has the most interesting and authoritative editorial voice and the largest set of stats and mobility tools, and they are often quickest and usually the deepest on the the story. What it lacks is the active community aspect in terms of the lack of a message board, and some detractors may not like the more controversial stories they do, but I like Adam's courage to go where others don't...

INCH has some of the more interesting features - the newsstand, podcasts, humor and a great NCAA tourney history page, as well as some interesting and often good 'list' features published every year. The weakness there is like CHN, a lack of community interaction, and sometimes, a "overpackaged" feeling that if it doesn't fit their format, they just don't adapt to it as fast or as deep. Overall, INCH has some of the deepest connections with key figures in the game, but they don't take advanatge of that as much as they should.

Comment

I wonder if Harvard and Yale's new scholarship policies have anything to do with their recruting rise? I forget exactly how it works, but at a certain income level the school excuses tuition, and at a lower income level the school pays for your living expenses at well. I think the income levels are high enough that a lot of player's families would slide into either designation.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                      I wonder if Harvard and Yale's new scholarship policies have anything to do with their recruting rise? I forget exactly how it works, but at a certain income level the school excuses tuition, and at a lower income level the school pays for your living expenses at well. I think the income levels are high enough that a lot of player's families would slide into either designation.
                      Most hockey players do not come from disadvantaged financial backgrounds, so I would expect that effect to be fairly minimal. These are two of the world's best academic brand names. What hockey parent (anywhere in the world) would not take a serious listen to coaches from those two schools? And if the kid they want qualifies academically, they usually find a way to make it work financially. I think Harvard and Yale's rising has everything to do with energy of the programs, and the quality of overall experience they can sell to a recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                        There are recruits in Harvard's 2009 class that would not have gone to Harvard had the old scholarship policies been in place.

The academic piece is still the biggest hurdle - there are candidates that Harvard can't even consider - but no question, the financial aid policy has made a big difference in landing guys and should going forward as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Most hockey players do not come from disadvantaged financial backgrounds, so I would expect that effect to be fairly minimal. These are two of the world's best academic brand names. What hockey parent (anywhere in the world) would not take a serious listen to coaches from those two schools? And if the kid they want qualifies academically, they usually find a way to make it work financially. I think Harvard and Yale's rising has everything to do with energy of the programs, and the quality of overall experience they can sell to a recruit.
                          I think, and once again I don't have the hard figures in front of me, the program extends up to a family income of 100,000 dollars (US) per year. You can have a fairly comfortable life (especially in Canada) on that kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            There are recruits in Harvard's 2009 class that would not have gone to Harvard had the old scholarship policies been in place.

The academic piece is still the biggest hurdle - there are candidates that Harvard can't even consider - but no question, the financial aid policy has made a big difference in landing guys and should going forward as well.
                            I've always wondered what exactly is untouchable. At Cornell there were a few guys on the hockey team who probably could have qualified unaided. Two players even held down 3.9s in Biology and our probably med school grads as we speak. However most players didn't exactly seem like they had set the academic world on fire before arriving on campus. I doubt we were letting in SEC football level SAT scores, but I'd be stunned if a few of those guys broke 1000 and 3.0 in HS.

With the caveat that I'm sure the academic standards at Yale and Harvard are higher.

Comment

• Working...
                              X