Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: INCH names nation's top recruiting classes

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Um, I don't mean this to sound as elitist and condescending as it will, but, uh - you don't leave Portage very often, do you?
    I typically frown upon agreeing with anyone from Cornell but this is one post I am completely in line with.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      INCH Ranks Recruiting Classes & Key Recruits

I've enjoyed going back and looking at these lists and seeing who turned out to be good and who didn't, and which overall rankings were right but ended up having the wrong players listed as the impacts in that class. I think my favorite is 2005 where BU is not listed in the top 15. That class (Higgins, Gilroy, Yip, Lawrence and McCarthy) turned out alright in the end.

Comment

INCH Ranks Recruiting Classes & Key Recruits

2005=LL

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
        If you live in the US on the east coast a family income of $100,000 doesn't get you much. Hell it doesn't get a ton in twin cities and the cost of living is far less here.
        You can live pretty well in plenty of places on the east coast making 100K a year...

Comment

Originally posted by JHG722 View Post
          You can live pretty well in plenty of places on the east coast making 100K a year...

Are any of those places between Washington DC and Boston? (and I'm not including any ho-dunk cities, I'm talking places were the commute isn't 1-2 hours into a city to work)

I think Swami is a little high on his % but I'd guess almost 50% of the hockey families I've met have been north of 100k. Hockey isn't cheap. Outside of Rosseau/Warroad and maybe The Range, many of the best players in MN come from Minnetonka, Wayzata, E(F)P, Edina, Duluth East, (I'm missing some but you get the point) etc. Those aren't exactly low income locations.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
            I've enjoyed going back and looking at these lists and seeing who turned out to be good and who didn't, and which overall rankings were right but ended up having the wrong players listed as the impacts in that class. I think my favorite is 2005 where BU is not listed in the top 15. That class (Higgins, Gilroy, Yip, Lawrence and McCarthy) turned out alright in the end.
            That's a great point about BU and there are probably many other omissions/mistakes as well.

That being said, I suspect that INCH's Rankings are probably just as good as comparable college football and basketball recruiting rankings. Trying to judge the ability and development of high school athletes and projecting their improvement in a college setting is a flawed exercise.

And how do you even begin to compare the value of a Phil Kessel to a Yip or a Gilroy? Kessel was sensational, but only stuck around one season. Yip & Gilroy became great players on a NC winning team.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 09-30-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlover View Post
              I think Swami is a little high on his % but I'd guess almost 50% of the hockey families I've met have been north of 100k.
              50% I could get behind... 75% I couldn't.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Isn't Kristo like 37 by now?
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Isn't Kristo like 37 by now?
                  The nerve of that kid. He delayed starting college for three whole months after graduating from high school. Another overager for UND.

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                    How can $100k not get you much? That's absurd. My wife and I make a third of that combined and live just fine.
                    being a message board deputy sheriff doesnt pay alot, but it has intangible benefits

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                      In 2005 Toews and Oshie should have been in a class by themselves as exceptional students of hockey.
                      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by waterlover View Post
                        Are any of those places between Washington DC and Boston? (and I'm not including any ho-dunk cities, I'm talking places were the commute isn't 1-2 hours into a city to work)

I think Swami is a little high on his % but I'd guess almost 50% of the hockey families I've met have been north of 100k. Hockey isn't cheap. Outside of Rosseau/Warroad and maybe The Range, many of the best players in MN come from Minnetonka, Wayzata, E(F)P, Edina, Duluth East, (I'm missing some but you get the point) etc. Those aren't exactly low income locations.
                        I know the wealth in MN very well, so yes, you're right. There are plenty of suburbs of Philly in PA and South Jersey where you'll live well making 100K a year.

Comment

Kids from rural Canada, Minnesota, Michigan & Massachusetts are probably the under 100K. But those hockey strongholds provide plenty of low-cost opportunities for talented kids to continue to develop.
                          Where is this rural Massachusetts you are talking about? Most players come from Eastern Mass and I know of no low cost opportunities out here. At the mite level (Under 8) it costs about $2K per year for a town league and about $3K a year for a select team. Throw in a few tournaments and equipment and you can reach $4-5K pretty quickly. And that doesn't include summer camps.

In my town, if you make less than $75K a year you are eligible for school lunch aid.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                            In 2005 Toews and Oshie should have been in a class by themselves as exceptional students of hockey.
                            no, not really. there are higher drafted players, and better NHL players recently, so they are not really exceptional. maybe you mean arrest record.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Working...
                              X