Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: INCH names nation's top recruiting classes

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
    I think, and once again I don't have the hard figures in front of me, the program extends up to a family income of 100,000 dollars (US) per year. You can have a fairly comfortable life (especially in Canada) on that kind of money.
    Except in Toronto and Vancouver, where living costs are far higher (you can do it on less than 100K by your "comfort" is going to be limited when compared to other areas of Canada). I would guess that 75% of hockey families are above the $100K family income threshold, at least in the USA. Canada may be a little lower, but hockey costs are usually somewhat lower in Canada due to the greater availability of ice in most Canadian towns.

The question becomes how much is Harvard or Yale worth to you if others are offering a full ride and your family make more than $100K a year? Harvard is still $50K per year, and even for a 200K per year family, that's a big bill....

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      I would guess that 75% of hockey families are above the $100K family income threshold, at least in the USA.
      I'll take the under on that.
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        I'll take the under on that.
        I think you are probably right, but if you broke it down geographically Swami would probably be right.

Kids from rural Canada, Minnesota, Michigan & Massachusetts are probably the under 100K. But those hockey strongholds provide plenty of low-cost opportunities for talented kids to continue to develop.

Kids from California, the sunbelt, prep school kids back East and perhaps kids from the major urban centers are probably well over 100 K. These areas have elite programs and quality coaches, but its on a pay-as-you-go basis, which probably excludes many talented kids who can't afford it.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 09-30-2009, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I've always wondered what exactly is untouchable. At Cornell there were a few guys on the hockey team who probably could have qualified unaided. Two players even held down 3.9s in Biology and our probably med school grads as we speak. However most players didn't exactly seem like they had set the academic world on fire before arriving on campus. I doubt we were letting in SEC football level SAT scores, but I'd be stunned if a few of those guys broke 1000 and 3.0 in HS.

With the caveat that I'm sure the academic standards at Yale and Harvard are higher.
          There is a great book called "Playing the Game" where it discusses the nuances of recruinting in the Ivy league - Academic Index, No LOIs, etc. it's a great read and goes into not only the rules, but also some great personal stories of some high profile recruits and what the recruiting process was like amongst the Ivies.

There are nuances, but at a high level, there are athletes that Cornell can admit that Harvard & Yale can not because Cornell's relative AI is lower than that at Harvard & Yale.

Comment

Except in Toronto and Vancouver, where living costs are far higher (you can do it on less than 100K by your "comfort" is going to be limited when compared to other areas of Canada). I would guess that 75% of hockey families are above the $100K family income threshold, at least in the USA. Canada may be a little lower, but hockey costs are usually somewhat lower in Canada due to the greater availability of ice in most Canadian towns.

The question becomes how much is Harvard or Yale worth to you if others are offering a full ride and your family make more than $100K a year? Harvard is still $50K per year, and even for a 200K per year family, that's a big bill....
            Swami, as usual you are spot on. Harvard has made some great Canadian inroads as of late for the reasons you state above.

Comment

We are very lucky to have not one, but three web sites covering our sport. Each has it's advantages and some weaknesses, in my mind...
              I wanted to rep you for this but I need to spread it around first. Nice post. You are always the voice of reason and can see the good in everything.
              "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                I wanted to rep you for this but I need to spread it around first. Nice post. You are always the voice of reason and can see the good in everything.
                You can rep me instead. He gets most of his good ideas from me these day.

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                  That may be true, but in this case they did nothing more then compile the opinions of college and junior coaches as well as scouts.
                  It matters not.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    I think you are probably right, but if you broke it down geographically Swami would probably be right.
                    Well then he shouldve said geographically.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I think, and once again I don't have the hard figures in front of me, the program extends up to a family income of 100,000 dollars (US) per year. You can have a fairly comfortable life (especially in Canada) on that kind of money.
                      If you live in the US on the east coast a family income of $100,000 doesn't get you much. Hell it doesn't get a ton in twin cities and the cost of living is far less here.
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        If you live in the US on the east coast a family income of $100,000 doesn't get you much. Hell it doesn't get a ton in twin cities and the cost of living is far less here.
                        How can $100k not get you much? That's absurd. My wife and I make a third of that combined and live just fine.
                        Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                          How can $100k not get you much? That's absurd. My wife and I make a third of that combined and live just fine.
                          Um, I don't mean this to sound as elitist and condescending as it will, but, uh - you don't leave Portage very often, do you?
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

100k here should get you a 300k house, 2 cars and $ for retirement. And if you're doing it right support 2 kids and a vacation spot. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                              There is a great book called "Playing the Game" where it discusses the nuances of recruinting in the Ivy league - Academic Index, No LOIs, etc. it's a great read and goes into not only the rules, but also some great personal stories of some high profile recruits and what the recruiting process was like amongst the Ivies.

There are nuances, but at a high level, there are athletes that Cornell can admit that Harvard & Yale can not because Cornell's relative AI is lower than that at Harvard & Yale.
                              Interesting. I'll look around Barnes and Noble for it this week.

Comment

I think a six figure income put you in the top 10 percent (or higher) for American households. Hockey certainly draws from a wealthier set than say football, but I never thought of it as having lacrosse esque participation rates.

Comment

Working...
                                X