• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML '09/'10 Season Thread

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    A bit about Lowell on ESPNBoston.com.
    Nice article but this caught my eye as the author praised UML :

" And rather than succumbing to the pressure, it won eight of its first 11 games this season."

(note these are Krach rankings)

But really wins against - #38, #27, #34, #35, #14, #38, #38, #30

Ties against #17

Loses to #25 and #35

I don't think you can speak of not succumbing to pressure but rather not playing any one that's competitive. Now I'm in all honestly not saying that UML isn't a good team, or competitive ( I believe they are ) but they haven't proven anything yet. Couple that with a win at #30 and #13 , Losses to #33, #19, and #14 its hard to speak about their success at all.

Against teams ranked 25 or higher UML is : 2-3-1 , that's not really what I expected from them.....

You guys must be disappointed too, otherwise I wouldn't have had to rescue this thread from the 3rd page.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

To try and jump start this thread … (and yes, I'm looking past the Princeton games this weekend but for a reason):

Lowell's schedule the second half of the season is (not surprisingly) looking tough, including 17 HE games left, 9 on the road.

I would be disappointed were this team not to win the Ledyard Bank Classic in Hanover, as they should beat Holy Cross and then whomever (NU or Dartmouth) in the final.

Then the fun begins with a three game HE road trip to UNH, NU and UMass. The UNH game is huge, as the season series will be decided that day (#1 tiebreaker between two teams). They then can clinch the regular season series with wins over NU and UMass, but I can unfortunately see them losing one (probably @ the Zoo). After that, Lowell has a three game homestand, with UMass coming to town (the night after the two play in Amherst), followed by Merrimack and BC on the 22nd and 23rd of January. BC's been playing well recently as well.

The end of January and through the middle of February see games against the Boston teams, with one exception. First, NU (on the road), followed by a weekend at home against BU and against Merrimack. All three of those games will end the season series with those teams. Lowell then has a home and home (first games at Tsongas) against BC. From that point on, Lowell plays three straight series, all against non-Mass teams … with 2 at Maine, followed by a home and home against Providence (first at home) and then ends the regular season at home against UVM.

Definitely challenging … and while my preseason record looks like it's going to be off by a bit, I still think this stretch of games could leave Lowell (9-5-1 currently) around 22-9-5.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        Now I'm in all honestly not saying that UML isn't a good team, or competitive ( I believe they are ) but they haven't proven anything yet. Couple that with a win at #30 and #13 , Losses to #33, #19, and #14 its hard to speak about their success at all.
        As was said in the same article, it doesn't really matter in November/December where everything stands.

Also, I don't think Lowell looked at their schedule prior to the season and thought that playing BU would actually hurt their strength of schedule.
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

As was said in the same article, it doesn't really matter in November/December where everything stands.

Also, I don't think Lowell looked at their schedule prior to the season and thought that playing BU would actually hurt their strength of schedule.
          Every point counts, but yes I agree BU is not helping anyone's SOS. But then again, ME and UMA are, and I don't think many thought they would be helping.

Comment

Wow ... for a team that's ranked 9th in the country, this thread is disappointingly dead.
            Work not a lot of fun this week, sorry.
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

There is an article in the Lowell Sun about Barry Goers and his work on the Cell Phones for Soldiers project.

http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_13976043
              What did you say?
              Who own the Chiefs?
              What did he say?
              Owns! Owns!

Comment

Surprised to see that the game notes aren't up yet on the Lowell site.

I'm hoping attendance doesn't suck these two nights. We're currently fifth in Hockey East (BU, BC, UMass and UNH, not in that order, are above us). I think it'd be good for the program to stay middle of the pack or even rise higher as the big games come up in 2010.
                Monty

Comment

Surprised to see that the game notes aren't up yet on the Lowell site.

I'm hoping attendance doesn't suck these two nights. We're currently fifth in Hockey East (BU, BC, UMass and UNH, not in that order, are above us). I think it'd be good for the program to stay middle of the pack or even rise higher as the big games come up in 2010.

Comment

Why are you confused? And no, I'm not setting up for a punchline.

HE team attendance figures.
                    Monty

Comment

Why are you confused? And no, I'm not setting up for a punchline.

HE team attendance figures.
                      We're currently fifth in Hockey East (BU, BC, UMass and UNH, not in that order, are above us). .
                      I took this to mean standings and I thought you were mistaken. I realize now you were speaking of attendance. My apologies.

Although I am still not sure on attendance.....HEOnline has UML's attendance for all games as 3869 / game which is 9th. And moreover its not really a good indication as a percentage would be more informative. For example, UML home attendence is 4591 per home game is more then UVM, MC, and PC arena's even hold.

Percentage wise, UML is running at about 102% at home tops in the league. Followed by UVM-UNH-BU-ME-UMA-NU-MC-BC and PC.

Of couse then again, the ratio of student population to seating plays a role too, but UML's attendance looks to be great.

Comment

Although I am still not sure on attendance.....HEOnline has UML's attendance for all games as 3869 / game which is 9th. And moreover its not really a good indication as a percentage would be more informative. For example, UML home attendence is 4591 per home game is more then UVM, MC, and PC arena's even hold.
                        That's all I was looking at is home attendance, not overall. Hell, having played two games at UAH kills our average overall attendance anyway.

We (as Lowell fans) are pretty happy to see our attendance number increasing. It went up 1,000 on average from the 07/08 to season to last season (ending around 4,400), and with some big games coming up next year (BU, BC twice, UVM twice) hopefully Lowell sees another increase over last year.
                        Monty

Comment

Wow ... for a team that's ranked 9th in the country, this thread is disappointingly dead.
                          Not a lot of new blood on these boards and I'm not sure there's much to talk about. Get something going on different or interesting and I'm sure it'll perk up.

That and we expect to be here... that's the problem when you know the bar is high... you build in your expectations.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Game notes are up.
                            Monty

Comment

River Hawk Holiday Auction.
                              http://goriverhawks.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm

Comment

It would be nice to get at least 4,000 for each game. The turnout for UMA last week was disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X