WCHA 2010-'11 through '14-'15 "rival pairs" announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2010-'11 through '14-'15 "rival pairs" announced

I think the WCHA is a total meatgrinder, and I would rather see less conference games. A 22 game schedule would be fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      I think the WCHA is a total meatgrinder, and I would rather see less conference games. A 22 game schedule would be fine with me.
      The problem I have is even programs like DU will have problems filling their schedule with non-WCHA teams. I would assume if this happens the CCHA will do the same thing, which would help. Of course do DU or any other WCHA teams really want to see Western michigan or ferris state come to town? I am sure everybody would love to see Notre Dame and Miami, but that is about it. The top teams in the east only have so many non-conference games. So really dggoddard is off base because they won't get any more games with those teams than they do now unless the ECAC and hockey east play a smaller conference schedule.
      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Agreed.

This is why I was opposed to bringing in BSU & UNO. This was always going to be the result.
        Actually, as a fan I like having UNO and BSU in the league because of their closeness to UND.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Anyone for the NCC hockey conference? UND, UMD, UNO, MSU-M and SCSU all we need is a 6th team.
          Eric's Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Looks like the "cluster pair" format won't be around for long.

The WCHA is discussing going to a 22 game schedule, so each program will play a two game series against each team in the conference.
            Fine, as long as UM schedules 2 NC games against UND and UW each. Otherwise I think the idea sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
              Anyone for the NCC hockey conference? UND, UMD, UNO, MSU-M and SCSU all we need is a 6th team.
              With the GLIAC trending towards more Ohio and Indiana colleges, you might get all three of the Upper Peninsula schools.
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                I would assume if this happens the CCHA will do the same thing, which would help.
                No way will the CCHA schools want to give 3 prime dates with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Miami & Notre Dame each season. Plus they'll never get elite non-conference schools to visit Bowling Green, Ferris, Lake State, Western & Northern Michigan.

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                So really dggoddard is off base because they won't get any more games with those teams than they do now unless the ECAC and hockey east play a smaller conference schedule.
                I'm going to respectfully disagree with this.

DU, Minnesota, UND & Sconnie are going to get games with whomever they want back east. Obviously DU will get them based on Gwozdecky's network of friends and buddies.

In the past five years DU has played non-conference games against...

2004-05
                Minnesota (HOF game)
                BC
                Northeastern

2005-06
                Maine
                Notre Dame
                BU
                UMass

2006-07
                Miami
                RPI
                Umass-Lowell

2007-08
                Maine
                Notre Dame
                Dartmouth

2008-09

Notre Dame (HOF game)
                Ohio State
                BU

2009-10
                Vermont
                Ohio State
                BC
                Last edited by dggoddard; 10-05-2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

This sure seems to be a lot of trouble. I vote we kick out UNO and BSU before they even get here. Sometimes change isnt good

stev

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                    With the GLIAC trending towards more Ohio and Indiana colleges, you might get all three of the Upper Peninsula schools.
                    MTU, UMD, UND, SCSU, MSU-M, UNO, NMU and LSSU still stronger than the ECAC.
                    Last edited by Goon; 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM.
                    Eric's Twitter

Comment

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this.

2008-09
                      Notre Dame (HOF game)
                      Ohio State
                      BU
                      Did you play US AFA as well?
                      Eric's Twitter

Comment

Did you play US AFA as well?
                        Every season once a year since Air Force started their program. Lately its turned into quite the rivalry.

Comment

Every season once a year since Air Force started their program.
                          Colgate was the other team you guys played that weekend. So DU played 8 games, how the heck are our teams going to get another four games, the CCHA top teams like MSU and Michigan won't travel to anything but the Show Case.
                          Last edited by Goon; 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM.
                          Eric's Twitter

Comment

Colgate was the other team you guys played that weekend. So DU played 8 games, how the heck are our teams going to get another four games, the CCHA top teams like MSU and Michigan won't travel to anything but the Show Case.
                            It won't be hard. There are 20 teams back east that draw less than 2,000 fans per game. Offer them $20,000 to visit the Ralph and they'll be there in two seconds. Instead of playing each other for peanuts, they'll take the cash to play western schools. Its probably the only time all season most of the teams will even get on a plane.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...attendance.pdf

Some pretty good "name brand" opponents who draw less than 2,000 fans per game at home.

Providence
                            Army
                            Merrimack
                            Princeton
                            Air Force
                            Colgate
                            Holy Cross
                            Last edited by dggoddard; 10-05-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

It won't be hard.
                              Oh yeah, it'll be a piece of cake. As noted, the BTN has no pull over HEA, AHA and ECAC, so let's go with each of the 24 W and CCHA schools all of a sudden needing to fill 4-6 additional N/C games each year. That's 48+ new series that have to be created out of thin air (seeing as those HEA, AHA and ECAC schools will still have full schedules themselves), again, each year. Like I said, piece of cake...

edit - and there's the Alabama-Huntsville situation. UAH is finding out that they are having a tough time finding N/C games next year (as an independant), especially in January and February, when every other school is playing conference games.
                              Last edited by moose97; 10-05-2009, 08:35 PM.
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                                Oh yeah, it'll be a piece of cake. As noted, the BTN has no pull over HEA, AHA and ECAC, so let's go with each of the 24 W and CCHA schools all of a sudden needing to fill 4-6 additional N/C games each year. That's 48+ new series that have to be created out of thin air (seeing as those HEA, AHA and ECAC schools will still have full schedules themselves), again, each year. Like I said, piece of cake...
                                The CCHA will never willingly agree to less conference games. None of the small CCHA members want to give up the Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame & Ohio State crack pipe.

Comment

Working...
                                X