Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Force Hockey 2009-2010 Season Thread

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
    I was really hoping the CCHA would step up. I think UAH is a good fit in that league, both geographically or competitively.

I'm not sure having if Air Force stick around would have kept Wayne from folding, the AHA from poaching Niagara or Bobby Mo to even out their numbers, or kept Bemidji from courting the WCHA. I think the writing was on the wall for all three of those when Air Force made the move. Sorry we had to go first, but it's worked out pretty well for us. Would have been nice to win one title in the CHA, though.
    Actually the AHA did not "poach" Niagara nor Robert Morris, nor did the WCHA ever want BSU. Those things all happened because of the collapse of the CHA. Just saying...

Tough night for the Falcons. Two UAH goals in the first 6 minutes were the difference, as they kept it even the rest of the way. I don't think any of the UAH goals will make the season highlight reel, but they found the back of the net while few of Air Force's flurries did. Final shots were something like 36-20 Air Force. Talbot has a nice glove, but gave up a few rebounds on the low shots.

Air Force won the special teams battle, with two tallies on the PP, and displayed great PK all night with several shorthanded chances. Unfortunately, the defense had some lapses, with way too many turnovers and odd-man rushes. Still, there was some nice energy in the third, and the team seems to be settling into their lines. The Hajner-Fairchild-Burnett trio from last year was back, with Lamoureux centering his classmates Blake Page and Kevin Kozlak. Hopefully we'll see more chemistry out of these pairings.
    Volks had a tough night in net, but he will round into form. Even with the poor stats, he made several nice saves to keep it from being worse than it already was.

The CIA appeared to be packed again, hopefully keeping the sellout streak intact. While filling the seats is great, it would be even better to fill them with REAL fans. Case in point. If you're going to complain about the FAN in front of you standing up during breakaways and odd-man rushes, but not even stand up yourself to cheer for goals or for the fight song, maybe the FAN in front of you isn't the problem. (end of editorial).
    Tough loss, but some movement in the right direction.

Interesting game note: After introducing 5 Chargers from Ontario, the crowd erupted when it was announced that the sixth starter was from Georgia. (presumably NOT the former Soviet republic) Falcon fans still have some issues with xenophobia.
    Let's get them tomorrow.
    GO FALCONS!!!
    I'm looking forward to seeing AFA when they come back east. It sounds like they need to sort a few things out, but they have lost a lot from last year's team. I have full confidence that they will get it going, though!

As for the fan behind you, well, it sounds to me like they should go to a movie instead of a hockey game.
    Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
    -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post

Actually the AHA did not "poach" Niagara nor Robert Morris, nor did the WCHA ever want BSU. Those things all happened because of the collapse of the CHA. Just saying...
      When RIT moved up to D-1, the AHA made it clear they wanted another team to come with them. If Air Force had turned them down, it's possible Niagara or Bobby Mo would have taken the offer, setting the same string of dominos in motion. And the WCHA may not have "wanted" Bemidji, but Bemidji definitely "wanted" the WCHA. The CHA might have been viable for a few more years, but I think long-term, things were headed in the direction they eventually went. If more schools had added D-1 programs, the CHA might have been better off in the long-term, But only one school made that move in the last decade, and they didn't join the CHA.

Lots of buzz about the Tigers around the Springs. This was supposed to be an off-year, but they're dominating the headlines so far!
      2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
      2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
      Air Force Falcons
      2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
      2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
      2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
      2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
      2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

When RIT moved up to D-1, the AHA made it clear they wanted another team to come with them. If Air Force had turned them down, it's possible Niagara or Bobby Mo would have taken the offer, setting the same string of dominos in motion. And the WCHA may not have "wanted" Bemidji, but Bemidji definitely "wanted" the WCHA. The CHA might have been viable for a few more years, but I think long-term, things were headed in the direction they eventually went. If more schools had added D-1 programs, the CHA might have been better off in the long-term, But only one school made that move in the last decade, and they didn't join the CHA.

Lots of buzz about the Tigers around the Springs. This was supposed to be an off-year, but they're dominating the headlines so far!
        CC is really young and lost most of their key players going into this season, so expectations are pretty low from a lot of people. Big win tonight at Wisconsin!!! I'm pretty pumped about this one.

I don't argue with any of your logic. Don't get me wrong, I think AFA did what they needed to do. The CHA was not as good a fit for Air Force as the AHA is. Niagara did not want to move to the AHA, but had to because of the fall of the CHA. They would rather have gone to HEA the ECAC. Basically, everything is messed up now. I would hope the UAH fans don't blame AFA for anything. Air Force did not determine the fate of the CHA in any way. In terms of scholarship restrictions and ability to recruit top tier talent, Air Force fits well in the AHA.
        Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
        -dggoddard

Comment

The way it was described around RIT is that RIT, AFA, and Rob Mo all applied to the AHA at the same time. And the AHA chose RIT and AFA. Then Rob Mo ended up in the CHA instead. I don't think the AHA went on a hunting trip!

RIT also applied to the ECAC, but was turned down (clearly the numbers don't make sense). Looking back at ancient history, apparently RIT had a chance to apply to the ECAC when Union joined ... I always thought we should have made the jump then.
          -M

Comment

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that RIT had anything to do with the CHA's downfall. More that the CHA wasn't making itself attractive to up-and-coming programs because of so many questions about its current members. I think the AHA is fully justified in its decision to take the two schools they did, and gets kudos for taking two more next year. I'm really happy with our league (well, maybe not with the way we're playing collectively right now) but do want to see everyone in the old CHA find a home and continue to be successful. UAH is probably a top-6 CCHA team right now, and would occasionally steal one from ND, OSU, Sparty, Miami and the Wolverines, as we saw last week. I hope their decision was based more on questions about their current membership than any concerns about the quality of UAH's program.
            My two cents.
            Air Force Falcons

Comment

Didn't take it that way at all; I was just throwing in the perspective I had heard.

I absolutely agree about UAH and hope to see them survive and thrive. They were one of the teams nice enough to schedule RIT during our independent season immediately after the transition and I hope RIT has the chance to return the favor.

Also, since I crashed the AFA thread, let me take the chance to wish Air Force all the best this year (with the exception of a few games!!!). Let's hope both AFA and RIT can pull off wins tonight, so that we're not both looking for a first win against each other.
              -M

Comment

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that RIT had anything to do with the CHA's downfall. More that the CHA wasn't making itself attractive to up-and-coming programs because of so many questions about its current members. I think the AHA is fully justified in its decision to take the two schools they did, and gets kudos for taking two more next year. I'm really happy with our league (well, maybe not with the way we're playing collectively right now) but do want to see everyone in the old CHA find a home and continue to be successful. UAH is probably a top-6 CCHA team right now, and would occasionally steal one from ND, OSU, Sparty, Miami and the Wolverines, as we saw last week. I hope their decision was based more on questions about their current membership than any concerns about the quality of UAH's program.
                My two cents.
                Thanks. That said, I still want y'all to lose tonight.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  Thanks. That said, I still want y'all to lose tonight.

GFM
                  This is probably the only series this season that I'm not cheering for UAH. Next weekend I will be back to cheering for your boys.

Suck it, CCHA!
                  -dggoddard

Comment

Different night, same teams, same result.

Air Force juggled the lineup, but it wasn't enough to scratch the win column. Despite holding a 2-1 lead in the second, the Falcons couldn't clear loose pucks in the crease when it mattered, and the Chargers were opportunistic.

Hosting RIT isn't exactly the prescription for a team that's struggling, but they are winless, too. Something will have to give next Friday night (unless it ends in a tie!!!) For those Tigers looking to make the trip, Friday is free food night, so that will help make up some for the airline ticket.
                    Here's to a good week of work, and a better start to conference play.
                    Go Falcons!!
                    Air Force Falcons

Comment

I never would have seen an 0-4 start for AFA this season. Granted, they have played two teams who look to be good this year, but I figured a 2-2 start was in the cards. Oh well...it's early. Let's turn things around for the upcoming conference games, though!
                      -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                        The way it was described around RIT is that RIT, AFA, and Rob Mo all applied to the AHA at the same time. And the AHA chose RIT and AFA. Then Rob Mo ended up in the CHA instead. I don't think the AHA went on a hunting trip!
                        Actually, RMU was set to enter the AHA until Findlay dropped their program. RMU was then asked to fill their spot in the CHA and allow them to keep their auto-bid.

RMU would have been in the AHA had Findlay not dropped their program.
                        HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
                          Actually, RMU was set to enter the AHA until Findlay dropped their program. RMU was then asked to fill their spot in the CHA and allow them to keep their auto-bid.

RMU would have been in the AHA had Findlay not dropped their program.
                          Interesting. I obviously have no knowledge of what went on at RMU, but the timing of everything is such that RMU was being convinced to join CHA at almost exactly the same time RIT and AFA were applying to join AHA. I wonder if RIT was ever nudged toward CHA ... which probably wouldn't have flown with us due to our inability to give any athletic scholarships. I've never heard any RIT-CHA connection though. Ah well, that's all history now.
                          -M

Comment

What a rough weekend it was. I think our biggest problem was the defense. While we outshot them both nights, our defense gave up too many quality shots and shots that should have never been available in the first place. Our defense played way too soft.

I'll be at both games next week as well...hopefully the new jersey's will be in stock by then...if not, they may not sell a lot this year. LOL

Seriously though, I think we'll improve quite a bit. Personally, I think Sellers and Fairchild didn't play up to their potential because of their injuries. Hopefully this weekend shook off the rust...we'll see.

Comment

Interesting game note: After introducing 5 Chargers from Ontario, the crowd erupted when it was announced that the sixth starter was from Georgia. (presumably NOT the former Soviet republic) Falcon fans still have some issues with xenophobia.
                              Let's get them tomorrow.
                              GO FALCONS!!!

I was part of that as well...it was hilarious. I thought it was funny that as each player was introduced, you could hear "Go Candada" louder until the last announcement from Georgia...everyone lost it and applauded.

The guys in front of us were UAB fans and didn't know what to say. At least the fans have the Alabama accent!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
                                I was part of that as well...it was hilarious. I thought it was funny that as each player was introduced, you could hear "Go Candada" louder until the last announcement from Georgia...everyone lost it and applauded.

The guys in front of us were UAB fans and didn't know what to say. At least the fans have the Alabama accent!
                                Despite being from Georgia, Ruffini adopts a northern accent. It cracks me up. He's from Atlanta.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X