Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ECAC Championships are moving...

to Atlantic City...

ALBANY, N.Y. -- ECAC Hockey announced today that it has reach an agreement with the Atlantic City Convention & Visitors Authority and SMG Management Group to conduct its annual men’s championship at Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City. The agreement is a three-year term and is set to begin in March, 2011.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2009-1...C_Announcement
    Last edited by rodney; 09-29-2009, 08:49 AM.

Re: The ECAC Championships are moving...

Wow. Didn't see that one coming. 10,300 seats for hockey sounds just about perfect. Sucks for North Country fans, though - 7 hrs and 45 min according to Google Maps...

Edit: and it will be interesting to see just how much LESS effort Albany puts in to the tournament this year now that they know it's not coming back, at least for a while.

Edit, edit: Roundtrip tickets from Geneva, Switzerland (where I'll be by then) to ALB: $800. To PHL: $500. Nice...
    Last edited by LynahFan; 09-29-2009, 09:15 AM.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I think this could be quite fun for ECAC alumni in New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore/Washington, who are all within a very easy trip of Atlantic City. It's more fun than Albany on a weekend, too.

For those who go, don't miss hoagies at the 'White House'. Fantastic.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/R...house-sub-shop

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
        Did anyone?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is just phenomenal news for those of us South Jersey hockey fans. Truth be told I never minded lake Placid or Albany but AC is just a 45 minute trip for us.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Did anyone?
            Me. But I had inside info.

My reaction: AC showed them the money, and the league was too foolish to understand the underlying reasons for attendance figures in Albany. But if they were going to move the tournament, AC was a good place to move it to, or at least better than the myriad places the Albany-haters conjured up in their tiny little minds.

EDIT: My guess is that if the underlying reasons for attendance in Albany continue, Atlantic City is only going to compound those problems. Sure, AC is more of a tourist trap than Albany (which will drive the haters wild, since this is basically what they missed about Lake Placid), but it's also much farther away from practically everyone.
            Last edited by Red Cloud; 09-29-2009, 10:08 AM.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

AC is an interesting choice to say the least. Let's see if they will be able to sell out the games there. If this goes well would the NCAA consider having a regional there since sports gambling is illegal in NJ or is that to much?

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                AC is an interesting choice to say the least. Let's see if they will be able to sell out the games there. If this goes well would the NCAA consider having a regional there since sports gambling is illegal in NJ or is that to much?
                I don't believe a regoinal could ever be in AC due to gambling in NJ.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

On the one hand, buh-bye Albany....I won't make this mistake again, but what is up with going through the alphabet to find the worst places to have the tourney. Let's just skip to LAK......

Who did Princeton pay off???
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Very interesting looking arena. Seems like a good fit for the ECAC (arena-wise, not so much location-wise) and in an interesting tourist location. It will be interesting to see how it works out ... but it does seem like a better choice than a lot of others that were suggested.

Gotta love that pipe organ!!!
                    -M

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      Me. But I had inside info.

My reaction: AC showed them the money, and the league was too foolish to understand the underlying reasons for attendance figures in Albany. But if they were going to move the tournament, AC was a good place to move it to, or at least better than the myriad places the Albany-haters conjured up in their tiny little minds.

EDIT: My guess is that if the underlying reasons for attendance in Albany continue, Atlantic City is only going to compound those problems. Sure, AC is more of a tourist trap than Albany (which will drive the haters wild, since this is basically what they missed about Lake Placid), but it's also much farther away from practically everyone.
                      I agree. While its easier for me and most other alums in the Northeast Corridor, how many schools are now closer to the championship site? Princeton of course, maybe Yale and Q-Pac. Theres also something about Atlantic City in Mid March that just seems drab. It will be interesting to see whether alumni numbers make up for the expected decrease in attendance from some of the larger fanbases.

Comment

Can't think of a worse place for a Hockey tournament in March. Placid was great, CT would have been fine, Manchester NH would have been workable, but AC. Awful

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                          Can't think of a worse place for a Hockey tournament in March. Placid was great, CT would have been fine, Manchester NH would have been workable, but AC. Awful
                          You could not be more wrong. While Placid was a good site, it grew stale and was not easy for many to get to. Remoteness also made it more difficult to sell sponsosrships and media coverage.

Although the trip will be longer for most, it is still a one-day drive and anyone travelling more than a couple of hours would need to stay in a hotel anyway.

I thought Albany was a good idea, but, the city, arena and league did not market very agressively and RPI never made the final four, so we never got to see good crowds.

Atlantic City has a lot to offer before and after the games, so it is worth a try. There is absolutely no good reason to EVER put this tournament in NH or CT. Albany was about as centrally located as you can get and it didn't work; for the reasons outlined above.

Let's see how it does for a couple of years in south jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                            I thought Albany was a good idea, but, the city, arena and league did not market very agressively and RPI never made the final four, so we never got to see good crowds.
                            Don't say never; the 'Tute has one more chance.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

WOW! Atlantic City - the polar opposite to Lake Placid. I'll give it a change -hoping St Lawrence can get there in the next few years but too far (6+hr) for this northern New Englander to travel if not wearing Scarlet and Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X