Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Union better sweep this weekend.. AIC and SH aren't exactly the cream of the crop in Atlantic. Will be interesting to see who gets in the lineups. Not sure why White didn't play in Minnesota and still waiting for an Ekstrom sighting. Anyone know what is up with Taylor Reid? The coaches seemed high on him last season and would have expected to see him in the lineup by now. Hurt or sick?

Have also been ruminating on last weekend a bit and just want to say that I don't think that Union fans should be happy with the tie. Friday's game was very ripe for the taking, but had some of the same old bugaboos as last season - starting with a soft goal against to get the SCSU rolling and bad penalties at bad times that prevented from chipping away in the 2nd period. I understand with all the crapola being thrown around on the game threads that it was VERY tempting to rub it in that U didn't get blown out, but these were games that Union should have had a chance to win and didn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the boys pulled out a tie from what looked like certain defeat on Friday, but a tie is not a win and we should not be OK with that. To take the next step to really winning these close games, U has to get good goaltending and stay away from bad penalties.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
      Union better sweep this weekend.. AIC and SH aren't exactly the cream of the crop in Atlantic. Will be interesting to see who gets in the lineups. Not sure why White didn't play in Minnesota and still waiting for an Ekstrom sighting. Anyone know what is up with Taylor Reid? The coaches seemed high on him last season and would have expected to see him in the lineup by now. Hurt or sick?
      I agree...We have to sweep this weekend. As for your questions:

Reid: Thumb injury.
      Ekstrom: Hip injury.
      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

ADK has some valid observations. The penalty problem in particular is vexing. Last season we seemed to cut down on penalties significantly from the season earlier but it would seem we're way up again this year, something like 26 penalties vs. 12 or so for the opponents. Coach L indicated that on Saturday at least the team couldn't get the kill going on the bigger surface, but even so, 7 penalties is problematic in its own right.

Union probably could and should have won at least one game last weekend. The bar has been raised sufficiently so that not getting blown out by a team from one of the major conferences should not be cause for satisfaction. Milan seemed to be OK after giving up what was described as a softy and I have to believe that the staff was generally satisfied with Kinkaid's debut effort.

Not sure what happened to White. I thought he acquitted himself quite well Maine weekend. I'm guessing though that as the season goes on there will be more puzzling scratches with flu being the possible cause.

As far as this weekend, I'm expecting Union to sweep (and for that matter RPI) Anything less should be considered an unacceptable result.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Before I'm called out, I did some checking and penalties last year were actually up a bit, but way down from '06-'07.
          Last edited by Wholin1; 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
            As far as this weekend, I'm expecting Union to sweep (and for that matter RPI) Anything less should be considered an unacceptable result.
            Agreed for both teams. Both SHU and AIC are playing their first games of the season this weekend, Union and RPI should both make monkey meat out of them.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
              I agree...We have to sweep this weekend. As for your questions:

Reid: Thumb injury.
              Ekstrom: Hip injury.
              Didn't Ekstrom have surgery on his hip? That's a little worrisome for the long term if he is still having problems.. maybe just being cautious. Overall have been pleased with the young d-men and expect that they will continue to improve as the season goes along. Hopefully Reid is back soon.

Also want to give a "7th Player of the Week" shout-out to UHManiac for almost single handedly taking on the various crazies that piled on the game threads last week. Keep that spirit going!!

On the 2010 front, a couple U recruits picked up some honors recently. Daniel Carr and Matt Bodie were both selected to the Canada West team for the World Junior A Challenge to be held in early November. This is an international tourney that includes all-star type teams from several countries including the US. Carr has also received a "B Rating" from the NHL Central Scouting Bureau’s “Players to Watch” list for the 2010 draft. This rating is defined as, "A player to note if a scout is in the area, a potential selection in the third-to-fifth round". Carr is really starting to sound like a top-notch recruit. Maybe I've been lurking too much on the RPI threads, but I'm starting to get worried about whether he will actually show up in Schenectady next season. Sure hope he does..

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                Agreed for both teams. Both SHU and AIC are playing their first games of the season this weekend, Union and RPI should both make monkey meat out of them.
                I better get my jersey! If I don't I'll hold a grudge against Union until the day I die.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  I better get my jersey! If I don't I'll hold a grudge against Union until the day I die.
                  Dirty, explanation please?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    Dirty, explanation please?
                    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=85620

Posts 8 and 19.

Good luck this weekend. I'm hoping for a CD sweep.
                    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan36 View Post
                      So....Any thoughts on this weekends games?

I think pressure is on for a sweep this weekend. Both teams come in green for the season as it is there season openers.

Also new Union Hall of Famer Craig Ferraro will be on Slap Schotts tommorow morning, FYI..
                      Awwww come on! you must have went to a quality college

"their season openers" not there!

I went to SUNY Albany and I can get it right!

Comment

Eh sorry, When your sick and at work in the middle of the night, speeling dusent madder rite den and dare......LOL
                        Let's go Dutch
                        Union Hockey 2010-2011

Comment

Didn't Ekstrom have surgery on his hip? That's a little worrisome for the long term if he is still having problems.. maybe just being cautious. Overall have been pleased with the young d-men and expect that they will continue to improve as the season goes along. Hopefully Reid is back soon.

Also want to give a "7th Player of the Week" shout-out to UHManiac for almost single handedly taking on the various crazies that piled on the game threads last week. Keep that spirit going!!
                          Yeah, Carl did indeed have hip surgery and when I spoke to him a couple of days ago, he said it was feeling better so hopefully we will see him on the ice some time in the near future. We'll probably see Taylor even sooner.

Thanks for the "7th Player of the Week" shout-out . If any of you made it through all 50+ pages of that thread, I congratulate you. I don't usually like stooping to "Red Cloud" levels but in that thread, it seemed necessary considering some of the things that was said (and the fact that it was 30 vs. 1).

Can't wait for this weekend. Union AND RPI should both sweep, no questions asked.
                          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Pretty sloppy effort last night, but buckled down when needed to get the W. I think they thought it would be easy after getting the early lead. Too much passing at times instead of shooting. Really just need to shoot and get to the net. Wonder if there will be any lineup changes tonight to give more "jam". Will need a better effort against the Heart tonight..

..and yeah, Congrats to Dirty on his jersey (and home visit from an AIC fan) .

Comment

Well, that was ugly. I really don't know what to think...let's just hope this is a team trying to figure out its chemistry and things will start to gel...and soon. We've all had high hopes for this year and maybe just need to be patient and let it come together. Tonight should be better, as I'm sure Nate will get things settled down and going in the right direction. As usual, we don't look strong in goal. I like the play of the captain. He's got some big skates to fill, but looks to be handling it well.

GooooooU

Comment

Pretty sloppy effort last night, but buckled down when needed to get the W. I think they thought it would be easy after getting the early lead. Too much passing at times instead of shooting. Really just need to shoot and get to the net. Wonder if there will be any lineup changes tonight to give more "jam". Will need a better effort against the Heart tonight..
                                Without looking at the title I wouldn't be able to tell if I was in the Union or RPI thread. Our game against SHU went much the same way last night. Picked up a 3-1 lead by the end of the second then started to take things for granted and let them back into the game, having to go to OT to knock them off.

SHU's a pretty rough team, they have no problem laying guys out along the boards or in open ice. They had a few big hip checks as well as a bad knee-on-knee hit at center ice that was ignored by the refs. Good luck if you end up with Dell and St. Lawrence for your refs tonight, after letting a lot go early the calls became absolutely head-scratching by the end of the game.

Good luck tonight.
                                APBWiki

Comment

Working...
                                X