PDA

View Full Version : Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Ralph Baer
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Without looking at the title I wouldn't be able to tell if I was in the Union or RPI thread. Exactly my thought.

ADK11
10-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow, wasn't able to make it to tonight's game and I think I'm glad I didn't :mad: :mad: .. What the FREAK happened!! Looks like SHU took Union to the woodshed for the first 3/4 of the game.. Nice to see the comeback, I guess, but you won't win much playing 10 minutes of good hockey and taking !@$%** penalties.. Is Kinkaid that bad or was the defense horrendous??? Any reports from those who saw this fiasco??

union07
10-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I am certainly no expert but it really looked like the game went to **** when Wakita took the major penalty and was ejected. The whole defense fell apart- it was not all Kinkaid's fault but there were two goals that could have easily been saved. If you took the first period away from the game, we could have easily won, unfortunately we didn't start off strong. It was a very disappointing game to watch.

aweise
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow, wasn't able to make it to tonight's game and I think I'm glad I didn't :mad: :mad: .. What the FREAK happened!! Looks like SHU took Union to the woodshed for the first 3/4 of the game.. Nice to see the comeback, I guess, but you won't win much playing 10 minutes of good hockey and taking !@$%** penalties.. Is Kinkaid that bad or was the defense horrendous??? Any reports from those who saw this fiasco??

It really looked like Union underestimated Sacred Heart. The Pioneers came out flying and took it to Union right away, proven by the 17-4 shot advantage after 1 period. Union took a lot of penalties in the first. Wakita's penalty was clearly a penalty, but not worth a major, IMO - forget about a game misconduct. SHU scored right away on the 5-on-3, then again during the 5:00 major and was it 3-0. I think the whole arena was stunned.

Kinkaid could have looked better and SHU's 4th goal was the result of a mis-played puck by Kinkaid. I wasn't surprised to see Milan start the second period, but even Corey lost a floating shot from the blue line that went in. It could've been worse...an SHU dump-in apparently went off the referee's skate into an open net a few minutes later, but the ref waved it off. I heard that it might have been because it hit the official's skate, but I have no official reason. I wouldn't think that would matter, though...would it??

Union then dominated the rest of the way. No scoring for the rest of the second - Union had a handful of chances, but Steven Legatto was excellent in net. That said, I thought he could have stopped 1 or maybe 2 of Union's late goals.

You could see as the game went on that the Union players were realizing what happens when you have a bad 15 minutes. I hope this is a simple reminder to the boys that all 60 minutes are required.

UnionFan36
10-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Someone told me that there is no ruling that the referee is fair game if it goes off his skate and that same person mentioned that the ref called it an offsides to cover his arse. Wether that true or not you never now.

But all in all the team definately looked like they automatically won that game before it was played. And I think that same what RPI did friday.

Well news flash you are not going to Albany in March thinking that way.

OsecnUC
10-26-2009, 07:35 AM
You have to show up to put up.
Seems like every year there is the same type of fiasco in at least one or 2 games and it has to drive the coaching staff crazy just as it leaves the fans scratching their heads. Let's hope this is the only time this happens this season and that Nate can use it as a motivational tool through out the season. Guessing that the team will be paying for this during practice this week....or at least, I hope they are.

burgie12
10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
It could've been worse...an SHU dump-in apparently went off the referee's skate into an open net a few minutes later, but the ref waved it off. I heard that it might have been because it hit the official's skate, but I have no official reason. I wouldn't think that would matter, though...would it??

Someone told me that there is no ruling that the referee is fair game if it goes off his skate and that same person mentioned that the ref called it an offsides to cover his arse. Wether that true or not you never now.

This happened at the Denver Cup in January, too.

due to rule 6-18-c-6 in the NCAA ice hockey rule book — which clearly states that ‘[i] f the puck hits an official and goes directly into the net” the goal is disallowed — it was deemed to be no goal.

I wish you luck this weekend, but not enough luck to actually beat RPI.

ADK11
10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
What's disappointing is that the upperclassmen are making these mistakes. I have some patience with the freshmen that they are adjusting to a new level of play, refs, etc., but expect more discipline from the experienced returning players. I'm also officially worried about the goaltending, especially when I read about pucks "floating over the shoulder".. It's nice that the team can pop out 3-4 goals at a time, but doesn't get you much if you can't stop em at the other end.

aweise
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
What's disappointing is that the upperclassmen are making these mistakes. I have some patience with the freshmen that they are adjusting to a new level of play, refs, etc., but expect more discipline from the experienced returning players. I'm also officially worried about the goaltending, especially when I read about pucks "floating over the shoulder".. It's nice that the team can pop out 3-4 goals at a time, but doesn't get you much if you can't stop em at the other end.

Well, the goal Milan gave up early in the second appeared to me that it was a floater, but I was sitting at a perfect angle (in section 3) to see the puck the whole way. To be fair to Corey, maybe I just had the ideal view of the puck the whole way and he lost sight of it with a player or two between him and the shooter. Outside of that, I thought he played very well.

However, Kinkaid's outing did bother me. He looked a bit shaky on some saves and especially when he tried to play the puck. I remember saying to my neighbor at the game that he was no Corey Milan when it comes to playing the puck. I'll give Keith a pass for now, but I'd like to see more of him before becoming concerned about the goaltending.

hockeyguy
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM

But all in all the team definately looked like they automatically won that game before it was played. And I think that same what RPI did friday.

Well news flash you are not going to Albany in March thinking that way.
Rule 6
SECTION 18
A goal shall not be allowed in any of the following cases:
1. If an attacking player strikes the puck with a stick when the puck is
above the height of the crossbar of the goal frame (4 feet [1.22m]);
2. If the puck has been thrown or batted into the goal;
3. If the attacking team has committed a foul that assisted in the making
of a goal;
4. If the attacking team had too many players on the ice at the time the
goal was scored;
5. If the goal was contributed to by a nonplayer;
6. If the puck hits an official and goes directly into the net (see 6-43);
7. If any member of the attacking team (other than the player in
possession of the puck) was in or skating through the goal crease
when the goal was scored from outside the crease, unless:

They seemed to get that one right.

ADK11
10-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Rule 6
SECTION 18
A goal shall not be allowed in any of the following cases:
1. If an attacking player strikes the puck with a stick when the puck is
above the height of the crossbar of the goal frame (4 feet [1.22m]);
2. If the puck has been thrown or batted into the goal;
3. If the attacking team has committed a foul that assisted in the making
of a goal;
4. If the attacking team had too many players on the ice at the time the
goal was scored;
5. If the goal was contributed to by a nonplayer;
6. If the puck hits an official and goes directly into the net (see 6-43);
7. If any member of the attacking team (other than the player in
possession of the puck) was in or skating through the goal crease
when the goal was scored from outside the crease, unless:

They seemed to get that one right.Shocking!!! ..both that they got it right and the rule actually makes sense.

vicb
10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Remember you have until the puck drops at 7PM on Friday night's Harvard-Dartmouth game to get your picks into my annual ECAC Pick The Standings Contest.

ADK11
10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Congrats to Jason Walters for garnering ECAC POTW honors! Nice to see him get going offensively.. hopefully a trend that will continue.

Wholin1
10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
The season that started out in such a promising fashion seems to have already hit a speed bump or two. Thankfully, these games don't count in the standings and more good can come of them if the team can learn from its all too many mistakes. I think that bottom line, this team is plenty talented and that though the coaching staff may be scratching their collective heads, I have confidence that they can get things on track.

The number of penalties taken and the poor PK probably go hand in hand and need to be addressed. I'm not sure if it's time to hit the panic button on goal tending, I tend to think not, but only time will tell. I have to believe that both Milan will improve and Kinkaid will live up to his billing (he's only had 80 or so minutes in goal in this his first year) but not without some more growing pains.

Finally, if you listened to Nate Leaman's postgame press conference from Saturday, I think that what he was most upset with, besides the OT penalty, was the level of effort from the team. This team which has a reputation for playing hard for 60 minutes and at least on Saturday, failed to do so. I have a suspicion that this failing will be addressed head on this week in practice and hopefully we will have seen the last of it or at least I hope so because I expect to see a supercharged RPI team on Friday so if the effort isn't 100% plus, things could get dicey.

UnionHockeyManiac
10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I truly believe we will be ready for RPI this weekend. Should be an exciting game. I hope Messa fills up.

unionbob
10-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I wonder how many 6am practices they had...lol

UnionFan36
10-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Alumni News:

I noticed that TJ Fox and Lane Caffaro are both playing for the Wheeling Nailers.

UnionFan36
10-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Holy Crap! It's Union-RPI weekend eve and nothing on here! Must be busy on the RPI -Union Thread

OsecnUC
10-30-2009, 09:08 AM
you're right!!! where is everyone. The season is here...well, the N/C games are here, and ECAC just just around the corner. Let's not kid ourselves, any RPI game "counts." Both teams have much to prove tonight coming off of weekends they are not happy about. Add into the mix the cross town competitive nature of the game, and it should be an exciting evening of hockey. Hopefully the week was used to drive home a few important messages to the boys and we will see a changed team on the ice. Can't wait!

GoooooooU!

Wholin1
10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
The game thread has been getting some activity. I saw on Ken Schott's blog interview with Nate Leaman that Ryan Forgaard had a fluke injury in one of the games last weekend. Apparently he was on the bench and an opponent somehow came over the boards and they hit heads resulting in a concussion for Forgaard. He was cleared to skate this week but not yet to play. I'm actually amazed that there aren't more bench injuries during games, particularly coaches, trainers, etc. getting pucked.

Union has to stay out of the box and execute its PK better. The kill ratio is an abysmal 65%. It should be entertaining whatever the outcome and a useful final tuneup going into ECAC play.