Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

You do realize that RPI/Union/Cornell/Clarkson is actually possible this year? If Clarkson beats SLU and RPI beats Brown, RPI would get Colgate, while Clarkson gets Yale. Then if all four teams win, lo and behold, you have your true test to see if the TUC can sell out.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      You do realize that RPI/Union/Cornell/Clarkson is actually possible this year? If Clarkson beats SLU and RPI beats Brown, RPI would get Colgate, while Clarkson gets Yale. Then if all four teams win, lo and behold, you have your true test to see if the TUC can sell out.
      That would be great - and not just because Cornell wouldn't have to face Yale again. Ugh.

I still believe it would be less than 10k, though. Probably won't ever get put to the test, unfortunately.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Re: ECAC attendance- This year will be my 42nd straight ECAC tournament. As I have noted on many prior occasions, the attendance in the years since the league separated from the Hockey east group has never topped the 9,000 figure if I recall correctly. It might approach that number if either Union or RPI make it this year and Cornell is also there. Whatever the number I have never understood the quest to try to increase that substantially, and I think that the move to Atlantic City is a horrible decision, since it will likely eliminate a significant portion of legitimate longtime ECAC fans. Whatever the number is this year a large portion will be true fans of this league and it should be a great tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          "This is reality, Greg."
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            Without a Peer has an update coming tomorrow that we think Union fans will appreciate. Stay tuned.
            So what's the update?
            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
              So what's the update?
              It runs at five.

Comment

Not the update, but congratulations to Mike Schreiber on a well deserved All-ECAC First Team nod.

MVT, I feel, should have also gotten one and deserved it over Backman, but he gets Second Team honors at least. Walters got jobbed too as he didn't make All-ECAC at all, which is a shame.

I was a bit surprised at Kincaid's Third Team selection as I had him behind Tisi and Clarke, but kudos to him as well, I can't say he's undeserving. He was the obvious choice for the All-Rookie team.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  Not the update, but congratulations to Mike Schreiber on a well deserved All-ECAC First Team nod.

MVT, I feel, should have also gotten one and deserved it over Backman, but he gets Second Team honors at least. Walters got jobbed too as he didn't make All-ECAC at all, which is a shame.

I was a bit surprised at Kincaid's Third Team selection as I had him behind Tisi and Clarke, but kudos to him as well, I can't say he's undeserving. He was the obvious choice for the All-Rookie team.
                  Great accomplishment for Schreibz. I believe he is 7th or 8th in the nation in scoring for a defenseman so it was nice to see him recognized. He also led the league with a +23 in the +/- category.

I also share your sentiments regarding MVT. He was absolutely incredible for us this season and I thought he was the best forward in the ECAC, perhaps only behind your boy, Mr. Chase. He finished second in the league in scoring with 32 conference points, set the Dutchmen’s single season record with 42 points and 21 goals. Little deserved it as well but like you, I thought he should have had Backman's spot.

I agree about Walters as well. I was shocked he didn't make it at least make it to the third team. He finished second on Union with 38 points (to Mario's 42) and he led the team with 22 assists. He also led the league with a +23 in the +/- category.

As for Kinkaid...He's the man and I thought he deserved both awards he received.

Do you guys know when they announce the MVT award, the goalie of the year award, and the ROTY award? Just curious.
                  LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                    Do you guys know when they announce the MVT award, the goalie of the year award, and the ROTY award? Just curious.
                    It's typically early in the week right after the quarterfinals.

Oh, and here's the update I was talking about.

Comment

Congratulations to Schreiber, MVT and Kinkaid!! Very well deserved honors to all!

As for Backman getting 1st team, that's ok with me.. he really came up big in the last two months of the season for the Eli and got a lot of big goals in big games. Polacek & Little were no-brainers, so was splitting hairs between Backman & MVT I'm sure. Hoping for at least one other honor to come later..

The real puzzler to me is Volpatti from Brown getting 3rd team. I mean, aside from being a GOON, he's not even the top forward on his TEAM. I could maybe see him as defensive forward of the year, but with only a +1 even that is little shaky. No way he deserves it over other forwards like Walters, Gallagher, Smith, Pirri, Estoclet, etc. My guess is that the other forwards split the votes so much that somehow he snuck in.

..and while we're talking about post-season accolades, on the recruit front Mat Bodie was named co Defenseman of the Year for his conference in the BCHL. Mat went on a scoring binge the last month & half of the season and finished with 42 points in 51 games, the exact same point total he had last season. He has since added 3 points in 4 playoff games. And Kevin Sullivan has been named a New England Prep All-Star. He finished the season with 58 points in 28 games and tied for eleventh in NE Prep scoring.
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Dan Greene's blog has an interesting analysis of Union's All-ECAC selections and Wally's dissing.

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

ECAC awards are available the day of the Tournament Banquet, Thursday of Championship weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by DMA View Post
                            Dan Greene's blog has an interesting analysis of Union's All-ECAC selections and Wally's dissing.

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/
                            I am not saying that MVT didn't deserve the first team award and the blogger's other statements, but any analysis that includes non-ECAC game stats is faulty.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

OK Ken, tell us what you REALLY think..
                              http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ockey-coaches/

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I am not saying that MVT didn't deserve the first team award and the blogger's other statements, but any analysis that includes non-ECAC game stats is faulty.
                                Actually Dan does mention that in-league stats should be the basis for selection (though it does take him a little time before he gets to that).. and I also think that the non-league stats should at least considered as part of a player's body of work, though agree it should not be relied on heavily.

I'm still not real upset about the MVT/Backman thing and maybe it will give MVT an extra incentive to prove everyone wrong.. and actually there is some precedent with this, as I recall that the year Trevor Koenig was named an All-American he was only selected to 2nd Team in ECAC.. must be part of that Boston/East Coast conspiracy thingy.

Comment

Working...
                                X