Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking the trip to St. Paul. Ft. Wayne just doesn't seem to me like it would be very nice for some reason. I would really love to go to Detroit though. Hockey Town, USA!
    Easy, Sly. Gotta make it into the big dance first. You're not a shoe-in yet.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

True, it's still very much a long shot that I'll be flying anywhere this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
        I wouldn't mind taking the trip to St. Paul. Ft. Wayne just doesn't seem to me like it would be very nice for some reason. I would really love to go to Detroit though. Hockey Town, USA!

I would say Union could be placed in Albany if they made the tourney(for travel and attendance purposes), but the presence of Cornell would mean 2 ECAC teams in Albany, and I'm not sure the NCAA would do that or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
          I would say Union could be placed in Albany if they made the tourney(for travel and attendance purposes), but the presence of Cornell would mean 2 ECAC teams in Albany, and I'm not sure the NCAA would do that or not.
          They could place two ECAC teams in the same region as long as they won't be facing each other in the first round.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
            Fort Wayne Indiana: Strip Club Capital of the Midwest.
            Har!

I'm not so sure about the prevalence of strip clubs in the Fort actually.

A trip to Ft. Wayne would be your sort of "midwest driving trip" sort of thing. You'd be going for the hockey as there really isn't much "touristy" to do other than the rather nice but awkwardly named Ft. Wayne Children's Zoo and the Old Fort. There's always Glenbrook Mall, but...ugh.

If the Tin Caps are playing by that time, it's a fun Single A Baseball experience in a nice new ball park downtown.

The Coliseum itself is a great hockey facility and the city has long had strong support for hockey thanks to the presence of the Komets.

It'd definitely not be a "big city/stuff to do" sort of thing but it's not a bad town.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
              I've gone both ways on this one. On one hand, Union is a local team for a venue that traditionally the NCAA has had a very difficult time selling tickets at (not that this has stopped them from going back there every other year) and so regardless of how big of a draw they think they might be, they might put them there anyway.

Or, especially if Cornell is also in the tournament and bracketed in Albany, they might have zero compunction about sending Union wherever since there's no history of a solid following. That's, for instance, why St. Cloud still seems to get sent to the worst possible locations, they don't travel well.

Of course, like Wholin said, that's cart before the horse.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                Or, especially if Cornell is also in the tournament and bracketed in Albany, they might have zero compunction about sending Union wherever since there's no history of a solid following. That's, for instance, why St. Cloud still seems to get sent to the worst possible locations, they don't travel well.
                Well, if Union makes it to the ECAC semis in Albany, it might give us some indication. Like UHM said, that's scheduled right at Union's break, so it's unlikely there would be much of a student contingent. However, most of the crowd I usually see at Messa is "non-student".

I wouldn't expect Union to bring as many fans as RPI, Cornell, or even Clarkson would, but there's still no history or sample to base that on. I hope we get a chance to find out.
                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Perhaps my discussion of the PWR and where Union ranks was premature. Sorry for jinxing it.

I had a feeling it would be a tough go at it last night, but from Matt & Brian's broadcast, it sounded as if Union was slightly the better team 5x5, but just couldn't bury their chances. Scrivens probably wanted to impress Mr. Dryden.

One more game to go for the regular season - time to break the Starr curse. Now that the top 4 are set and SLU, RPI, & Q all have clinched a home ice series, I'll be very interested in the positioning of those three. Presuming everything holds to form in the first round, Union will be playing one of those three teams in the QFs.
                  Union Hockey

Comment

Toknight after the playoff positions have been set, remember to look for the ECAC PICK THE PLAYOFFS THREAD . The ECAC PICK THE STANDINGS 2009 CHAMPION will be crowned Sunday AM.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

While I'm never happy with a loss, I can't fault the boys effort last night and their execution wasn't all that bad either. It was really just a very close hockey game and Cornell got great goaltending, played excellent defense & converted their opportunities. Thought U did very well to be tied after the 1st period, but the keys were not converting on the PP in the 2nd and on other golden opportunities in the 3rd. If U scored another goal, the complexion of the game would have been much different.. but in the end all kudos to the Big Red.

As aweise notes, any talk of PWR is essentially dead and U will have to win ECACs to make it to the dance. For confidence sake would be nice to get a win at Starr and go into the playoffs on a roll of sorts.
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Very tough game last night. Starting with retiring the jerseys before the game, the Lynah Rink crowd was electric last night. I hated to sit there an watch us go down 1-0 so early in the game but was thrilled when we tied it up by the end of the first period. I guess I cheered a little too loud because the entire student section pointed and chanted at me from across the rink, "That guy sucks, that guy sucks, etc." I embraced it.

Anyway, it was really anybody's game. The bottom line is that Cornell capitalized on every opportunity they had while we had multiple chances when we should have put the puck in the net but did not. Prezzy had a breakaway that he could not score on, Zajac had a good look at the net, and there were two occurences where the puck was literally on Cornell's goal line but did not go in.

The 6+ hour round-trip drive was no fun but I'm glad I got to go to Lynah one more time before I graduated.
                        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          As aweise notes, any talk of PWR is essentially dead and U will have to win ECACs to make it to the dance. For confidence sake would be nice to get a win at Starr and go into the playoffs on a roll of sorts.
                          I don't necessarily think it's dead, since you never know what can happen in other games to help Union's chances. Nevertheless, I'm rooting for Union to make it to Albany first and let the chips fall where they may. I'll keep an eye on the PWR with minimal expectations.
                          Union Hockey

Comment

got back from starr ...sighs......team looked rather flat......so on to playoffs...they have two weeks to get it together and what worries me is we could possibly be facing RPI once more....and if.....if...we win series...and teams stay in order....Cornell.....the hockey gods are not loking down on us.....

Comment

That was a pretty uninspiring game. Good thing we have a bye next week because The team looks like it really needs it. One trend that is becoming alarming are the number of breakaways we're giving up. It seems like this is happening 2 or 3 times every game.

Comment

ECAC Hockey Fans, it is with great pleasure that I announce your ECAC Pick the Standings 2009-2010 winner: Saints17, a comfortable 16 points ahead of the runnerup jmhusker.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X