Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by slapschott View Post
    Union had its first bye two years ago when it finished fourth.
    Ken, it was great to meet you last night. As I said to you in person, your coverage of Union hockey is second to none and since my freshman year, I have been reading your stuff every week. Thank you!

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    The highlight of the game for me last night was Union's own "Rudy" moment for Jeff Christiansen. If you have some time, watch Ken Schott's video postgame clips.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/videos/2010/feb/21/404/

Basically, the team leaders went to the coach and told him that they wanted Jeff to dress for his final game. Nate was admittedly hesitant but trusted his team leadership and started both Jeff and Jason Shaffer. We all know how things turned out and I have to say that each of them scoring goals, particularly Jeff Christiansen were unforgettable moments. It was also a nice moment for Rich Sillery who received a huge ovation from the crowd when he entered the game. I'd also like to take note of the crowd which stayed after the game to honor the seniors and their families. It was by far the largest contingent that I can recall.

I also give credit to the coach for trusting his leaders. He admitted it was a tough decision but, I think it shows the growth of Nate Leaman as a coach that he would make this move as I don't think he would have a few seasons ago and would have taken the "safe" way out. Bascially, the team told him, "Don't worry about it coach, we've got your back and we want our seniors to have their time". Kids like Christiansen, Shaffer and Sillery who stick with it for four years deserve credit and recognition and they have my appreciation.
    Wholin, I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't know if it was because I'm a senior or because it really was actually really amazing, but Senior Night last night was extra special for me. Seeing some of my good friends being honored last night was truly awesome. I have been watching Schreibz, Waks, MVT, Pudge (Sillery), Shaffer, Walters, Lareau, and Christo since my freshman year and I could not be more impressed with their performance not only last night, but throughout the course of their Union College hockey career. As many of you know, their on-ice skills are equally matched with what they do off the ice and for that, they really did deserve to be honored.

To discuss the game briefly, I thought the team looked strong again and it was great to see big contributions being made by some people who usually do not see much ice time. Christo's goal was huge, as was Shaffer's. I know it was awesome for those guys to help Union get the win and I really admire the team's leadership, making sure the Christo got to suit up on Senior Night.

I thought Keith looked very good again in the net and I was happy to see that he didn't give up any softies tonight . I think in more ways than one though, he knows that last night belonged to the seniors, whether it was during the actual game, or during the post-game festivities.

As for the post-game ceremony, I was thrilled to see so many fans stay behind to support the Senior Dutchmen. These guys have all worked so hard over their four years hear and they deserved every minute of applause they got. I thought Schreibz and Waks said it well after the game: This team has not been successful because of one person. There are so many people who have contributed to make Union a winning team, whether it was the amazing coaching staff of Leaman (who should be a shoe-in for COTY), Bennett, and Barr, the players themselves, the behind-the-scene workers like April Boniewski or Kevin Zalaznik, or us - THE FANS! This has truly been a season to remember at Messa Rink and I am thrilled to say that I got to watch the best Union team of all time.

It's not over yet though. Getting the sweep next weekend would be HUGE in more ways than one. First of all, if we beat Cornell on Friday, it would not only guarantee us at least a 2 seed in the ECAC tournament, but it would also do wonders for our PWR, where we currently sit as the last team in the field at #15. Also, breaking the Starr curse would be a nice confidence builder for this team and would give Union some big momentum heading into the playoffs. I'm going to try to make it to at least the Cornell game on Friday since it's so important, but we'll see.

I will end this not with the usual "LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA," but instead with the chant that I started to end last night's ceremony at Messa:

LET'S GO SENIORS DA DA DADADA
    Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

[QUOTE=UnionHockeyManiac;4644459]Ken, it was great to meet you last night. As I said to you in person, your coverage of Union hockey is second to none and since my freshman year, I have been reading your stuff every week. Thank you!

Thank you for reading my articles! I'm glad you have enjoyed them over your four years at Union. Still plenty more games to cover!
      "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

congrats to all the seniors on their collective careers @ Union. It's always kind of sad to say goodbye @ the Senior night game, but we still have some post season games to look forward to.

It's going to be a long week 'till Friday night's big matchup. I'm already feeling nervous energy. If the spark and play of late continues, this should be one heck of a match. I like our chances but need to remain quietly optomistic. Keep it up, boys.

GooooU!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Mario and Mike need your Hobey votes! It looks like MVT is running 3rd at this point in the preliminary round.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/

Comment

This week's rankings:

INCH: #10
            USCHO: #15
            USA Today: #15

But most importantly...

PWR: #15

If the National Tournament was to start today and there weren't any upsets in the conference tournament, Union would be the last team in! This Friday's game against Cornell is HUGE though. Going to be an intense atmosphere at Lynah.
            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
              If the National Tournament was to start today and there weren't any upsets in the conference tournament, Union would be the last team in! This Friday's game against Cornell is HUGE though. Going to be an intense atmosphere at Lynah.
              I've always said and believed that the rankings mean little...but they're always fun to look at. I have this terrible feeling that even if the boys were to somehow finish on top the only way they are going to see NCAA action is to win it all in Albany. I know all the info and speculations in the pairwise and bracketology might indicate differently, but I just don't have a good feel about it. Hope I'm as off as I was in the picking of this year's standings (although I am ahead o the random generator ). The game against Cornell is huge. Winning out would be huge, but I think taking the title in Albany is what must happen. It's great to be here with only a few days left in the season, but there is still a long road ahead.

Comment

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...7_simpsons.php

Nice article on two very good players and better kids...

Comment

Mario and Mike need your Hobey votes! It looks like MVT is running 3rd at this point in the preliminary round.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/
                  Not sure what's going on here but MVT has taken over the Hobey lead! Let's Go MARIO.

Comment

Not sure what's going on here but MVT has taken over the Hobey lead! Let's Go MARIO.
                    where on the page does it tell the current votes received?

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
                      where on the page does it tell the current votes received?
                      Click on the "Results" tab at the bottom of the voting page.

Comment

Click on the "Results" tab at the bottom of the voting page.
                        Of course

Comment

The Curseeee !!!!!!
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            The Curseeee !!!!!!
                            Grow up.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I have a bad feeling that we are setting up to play Harvard in the playoffs. Why can't Union beat them?

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
                                I have a bad feeling that we are setting up to play Harvard in the playoffs. Why can't Union beat them?
                                Let's worry about that in two weeks.
                                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X