Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    A few of us in Section 3 discussed this last night...now that the bye is clinched, is there a question about resting players, a la the Indianapolis Colts?
    No way. Keep fighting for that #2 or #1 spot. You get up there, you have a better chance of ending up with a team you can clown in the 2nd round, since there's usually an upset or two in the 1st round, and the team that delivers the upset is almost always in over their head in the 2nd.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      No way. Keep fighting for that #2 or #1 spot. You get up there, you have a better chance of ending up with a team you can clown in the 2nd round, since there's usually an upset or two in the 1st round, and the team that delivers the upset is almost always in over their head in the 2nd.
      Dead on, RC.

BTW, the Times Useless this a.m. wrote that Union still needs one point to clinch the bye. Sheesh.

The bye is awesome, but lets get greedy. 3rd (or higher) is a lot better than 4th because if we remember back two years ago, we finished 4th and then faced the best of the rest of the league, that year, Cornell, and couldn't get past them.

That being said, congratulations to Union players, coaches, and yes the fans too.

Comment

Absolutely.. finishing 4th could get U a matchup with RPI or SLU, so the higher the better. And BTW, one more point clinches no worse than 3rd.

Was very impressed with Kinkaid last night. He was really on his game and making tough save look easy with NO rebounds.. something he's struggled with lately. If he keeps that up, U could go far..
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

In the Times Union's defense, it seems like there was some confusion last night as to whether Union had clinched a bye.

http://unionhockey.tumblr.com/post/4...red-it-all-out

Comment

I agree 100% with RC, ADK, & Wholin1 about this - just thought I'd bring it up for discussion's sake. In fact, we thought about the point that ADK made - a 4th-place finish could result in a QF series wth SLU, RPI, or Colgate...none of which we want to see until Albany.
            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unionbob View Post
              Radio matt..........few questions.....

Why is there such a delay in the broadcast?...i use to like bringing headset to game to listen to interviews and listen to game but the 10 sec or so drives one crazy.....
              and also while listening to away games over the internet the live stats or even Ken in his blog will post something (ie: goal) and the radio still is calling the play showing the delay even more pronounced....

finally two weeks ago while driving to the game a lil late (approx 7pm) turned on WRUC but the game wasnt on the radio portion...and in tuning in the station was playing some vulger music with multiple four letter words....great when u have kids in the car......just giving u a heads up...

thank you in advance
              Bob,

Unfortunately - Union isn't much of a "Media and Communications" school, so on some levels we're at the mercy of the students and their interest in working on such projects. What happens now is that we broadcast the feed on www.teamline.cc - which happens via phone and therefore there is a delay, and WRUC picks up the teamline feed and broadcasts it.

Next season, we will revisit the issue and hopefully get a live studio operator which will eliminate the delay and allow people to hear the call while in the rink again (Which is probably the #1 request of our listeners). Any comments/suggestions/criticisms/praise for the broadcast situation make sure to contact the athletic department and let them know. Especially supporters/Alum/season ticket holders/garnet blade members/family of players - All of that feedback is greatly appreciated and helps us bring you a better product.

And I certainly apologize for the questionable content you heard on the station, I will check into that as well.

Thank you for listening and your thoughts!

Let's Go U!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Congrats to the team on their wins this weekend and thanks to the seniors for a great four years. Four points next weekend are not out of reach.

Does anyone know if there's a rule that the goalie can't wear a white helmet? The ref made Sillery put on a different helmet when he went in. When he went in during the Clarkson game, he kept his own. Seems pretty picky to me.
                Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
                  Congrats to the team on their wins this weekend and thanks to the seniors for a great four years. Four points next weekend are not out of reach.

Does anyone know if there's a rule that the goalie can't wear a white helmet? The ref made Sillery put on a different helmet when he went in. When he went in during the Clarkson game, he kept his own. Seems pretty picky to me.
                  Sillery was missing a piece of protection. Had nothing to do with the color of the mask.
                  "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

I think Sillery's helmet was missing the chin strap.

Comment

Great win for the boys tonight. It was very nice to see Shaffer and Christiansen not only in the lineup, but both contribute. Great regular season sendoff for the seniors as 6 of the 7 skaters had points and Rich Sillery got to see some time in net.

On a sour note, Eric Lampe for QU was out of control tonight. First he ran Kinkaid early in the third and then followed it up by attacking Walters and then challenging the Union bench as he left the ice. The league office should definitely take a look at his actions.

Comment

Just wanted to say "Congrats" for locking up a first round bye...Is that a first ?
                        Good luck...except at "Gate" next weekend...should be a great game.
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          Just wanted to say "Congrats" for locking up a first round bye...Is that a first ?
                          No.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                            On a sour note, Eric Lampe for QU was out of control tonight. First he ran Kinkaid early in the third and then followed it up by attacking Walters and then challenging the Union bench as he left the ice. The league office should definitely take a look at his actions.
                            He was acting like kind of a doofus against RPI on Friday too, but nothing that bad. He kinda sorta ran Merriam in a manner that made it look fairly unintentional, but he had space to stop.

Big ups on securing the bye. Now go beat Cornell and take 2nd place (at least!).

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Good luck...except at "Gate" next weekend...should be a great game.
                              Union had its first bye two years ago when it finished fourth.
                              "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

The highlight of the game for me last night was Union's own "Rudy" moment for Jeff Christiansen. If you have some time, watch Ken Schott's video postgame clips.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/videos/2010/feb/21/404/

Basically, the team leaders went to the coach and told him that they wanted Jeff to dress for his final game. Nate was admittedly hesitant but trusted his team leadership and started both Jeff and Jason Shaffer. We all know how things turned out and I have to say that each of them scoring goals, particularly Jeff Christiansen were unforgettable moments. It was also a nice moment for Rich Sillery who received a huge ovation from the crowd when he entered the game. I'd also like to take note of the crowd which stayed after the game to honor the seniors and their families. It was by far the largest contingent that I can recall.

I also give credit to the coach for trusting his leaders. He admitted it was a tough decision but, I think it shows the growth of Nate Leaman as a coach that he would make this move as I don't think he would have a few seasons ago and would have taken the "safe" way out. Bascially, the team told him, "Don't worry about it coach, we've got your back and we want our seniors to have their time". Kids like Christiansen, Shaffer and Sillery who stick with it for four years deserve credit and recognition and they have my appreciation.

Comment

Working...
                                X