Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
    This is not what we need: http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...oburn-injured/

Best wishes to Greg, I'm hoping the injury is minor but it doesn't sound like it.
    Unfortunate news. Best wishes to Greg. He will definitely be missed if he can't go.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Latest Greg Coburn update from Ken Schott. It doesn't sound encouraging.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...njured-update/

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        Latest Greg Coburn update from Ken Schott. It doesn't sound encouraging.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...njured-update/
        Not very encouraging at all. I said to someone else that even though Coburn is a freshman, it feels like the defense just got a lot younger.

Nevertheless, with Cornell's resounding win over Colgate last night, Union now needs 4 points to clinch a first round bye. It would be extremely good to take care of that this weekend, as getting points out of Lynah & Starr aren't terribly promising prospects.
        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
          Nevertheless, with Cornell's resounding win over Colgate last night, Union now needs 4 points to clinch a first round bye. It would be extremely good to take care of that this weekend, as getting points out of Lynah & Starr aren't terribly promising prospects.
          Yes, I'm replying to my own post...shoot me.

There is one scenario where Union can clinch a top 4 finish on Friday night....if they beat Princeton, Yale beats SLU, RPI beats or ties Quinnipiac, and Dartmouth beats Colgate.
          Union Hockey

Comment

We will have to hope for the best as far as Greg is concerned and wish him a full and speedy recovery. Hopefully the tests will show this to not be a serious injury. It is an unfortunate occurrence for him and obviously and secondarily for the team. He really had put together a quietly excellent freshman season and will be missed. I understand also from some who have met him that he is a genuinely nice young man.

On a second note, our recent recruiting discussion has proven to be timely with Heisenberg reporting a commitment from Max Novak of The Hill School. Listed as a 5' 11", 185lb. forward, with an April, '91 dob. Perhaps Mr. ADK or another of our recruit savvy posters (even a lurking RB?) has more info on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              On a second note, our recent recruiting discussion has proven to be timely with Heisenberg reporting a commitment from Max Novak of The Hill School. Listed as a 5' 11", 185lb. forward, with an April, '91 dob. Perhaps Mr. ADK or another of our recruit savvy posters (even a lurking RB?) has more info on him.
              Nothing except that Chris Heisenberg doesn't rank him highly.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yes, I'm replying to my own post...shoot me.

There is one scenario where Union can clinch a top 4 finish on Friday night....if they beat Princeton, Yale beats SLU, RPI beats or ties Quinnipiac, and Dartmouth beats Colgate.
                Actually all it will take Friday for them to clinch the bye is a win combined with SLU and Colgate losses. If that happens, the QU-RPI result is irrelevant.

Comment

Definitely hope the best for Coburn and that this is nothing serious in the long run, hockey aside. In the meantime, will need Forgaard and White to step-up big time. I've thought that White has been looking better recently and Forgaard has been solid, so hopefully things will work out. Is nice to have a little depth.

Regarding Novak: Max is from New Jersey and is in his second season at the The Hill (Brandon Snee's old school BTW). He is the team's 2nd leading scorer with 50 points in 24 games and was Hill's leading scorer last season with 47 points in 29 games. It looks like he played youth/HS hockey in NJ prior to going prep. Don't see where he was invited to any USA national festivals, etc. The Hill is what I would call a second tier Prep team and mostly doesn't play the top NE Prep teams. According to USHR, Max is very fast, "has a second gear" and is a good playmaker & finisher (currently has 25 goals in 24 games). Is projected to do a year of juniors next season and matriculate in '11, though USHR says there is "a slight chance" may come next season.. wonder if the Boileau rumor is playing any part in that.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

According to my calculations, Union will be almost guaranteed a bye if they get just 2 out of the 8 remaining points. To absolutely clinch a bye no matter what I believe they need 4 out of 8.

Right now third place is looking most likely. However they could stills sneak into second or even first if they play their best for all 240 remaining minutes.
                    Last edited by SlyFoxMan7; 02-17-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Not very encouraging at all. I said to someone else that even though Coburn is a freshman, it feels like the defense just got a lot younger.

Maybe not as horrible as it sounds. They had been swapping Forgaard and Julseth-White all year long so they can now just start both.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
                        Maybe not as horrible as it sounds. They had been swapping Forgaard and Julseth-White all year long so they can now just start both.
                        True, but I don't think either matches up to Coburn (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
                          Actually all it will take Friday for them to clinch the bye is a win combined with SLU and Colgate losses. If that happens, the QU-RPI result is irrelevant.
                          Good point. What I didn't realize was that Q would be tied with RPI & SLU for 4th place with those results (I was thinking 5th). Union owns the tiebreaker with both SLU & RPI, so even if Q, SLU, & RPI all won out and Union lost all 3, all four would be tied for 3rd...Union wins that tiebreaker based on h2h of the four teams.

As to what SlyFoxMan7 says, I'm looking for the actual guarantee....not an almost.
                          Union Hockey

Comment

Let me put it this way: It would be extremely unlikely for Union lose the bye if they get just 2 more points.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
                              Let me put it this way: It would be extremely unlikely for Union lose the bye if they get just 2 more points.
                              Right. If we get two points, two of St. Lawrence/RPI/Colgate/Quinny would have to win out to make us finish out of the top 4. Possible, but unlikely.

(Actually, if Quinny wins out and we only get two points, we'd be tied with them in the standings and in the season series so I'm not sure what the next tie-breaker would be)

If we sweep this weekend though, we are guaranteed to get a bye because:

1. If RPI/St. Lawrence wins out, we would be tied with them and we have tiebreaker against both of them.
                              2. Sweeping this weekend would mean that we beat Quinny this weekend which would mean that even if Quinny won this Friday AND next weekend, they would have 26 points to our 28.
                              3. Colgate would still be able to catch us and get the third spot if they win out but that would mean we would get the four spot which is still a bye.

If we get swept this weekend though, anything is possible and things could get reallllllly cramped and messy in the standings.
                              LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Thanks to Ken Schott for blogging on Greg Coburn's latest medical status, a dislocated hip, but "no major damage". He will miss the rest of the regular season but could be ready to go in the post season, especially if U gets a bye.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ge-for-coburn/

Comment

Working...
                                X