Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    I was surprised there was no RPI band but I'm guessing they are still on semester break.
    You are correct, they are off all of this coming up week as well.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

I thought last night's game was one of the most evenly-played, well-officiated game I've seen in about 15 years! Good scoring chances, good goaltending, good defense, and the refs didn't really get in the way of the game. With the packed house, you could definitely feel the intense atmosphere. This had to be the most anticipated game in Schenectady since the 2003 playoffs.

In the end, I thought Union's defense made the difference in the 3rd. RPI didn't have many good chances until the desperation began to set in with less than 5 minutes to go. I think it was within that time frame when Kinkaid made two great saves in the crease to keep it 2-1. Outside of that, Union took control in the 3rd - I would've liked to see the 5-on-3 PPs converted, but they didn't matter in the end. With the way these 2 teams played each other this year, I was ready to bet the house that RPI would score with York on the bench. Thankfully, I didn't.

#7 in the Pairwise??!?!!? Unbelievable, but there's still WAY too much time left in the season. I've seen this movie a few times, so I still maintain that the PWR won't be closely examined by me until February. I'm still more concerned about a first round bye right now.

I agree with Wholin1 - this game really did expose the inadequacies of the facilities. I had no chance of parking on campus (even arriving an hour before the game) and my 12-year-old nephew & I felt like sardines all night - I couldn't even get him down to the lower level for Chuck-A-Puck.
      Last edited by aweise; 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

It was definitely one of the most fun games I've ever attended. It was awesome to see the stands overflowing. The atmosphere was electric from the minute the players got on the ice for warmups. Definitely one of the most exciting games we've seen in all the years we've been following Union.

I guess I tend to be extremely superstitious and have hesitated to post. It certainly was not from lack of enthusiasm. We've been waiting 20 years for a team like this, and I don't want to be the one to jinx them.
        Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
          Was last night fun or was last night fun? Seeing the student section completely filled by 6:15 was a dream come true for me. Ever since being a freshman, I hoped and prayed for a student section like we had last night. No one had to be asked to stand. No one had to be asked to cheer. No one left early (except 4 ladies who were sitting in the row in front of me). The energy before the game was like a playoff atmosphere. Students at Union are finally taking note that we have one of the best hockey teams in the country. The facebook event group I started got forwarded to more than half the campus and over 500 had confirmed that they were going to the game. Unfortunately, they could only let 300 students in so hundreds were shut out.

As for the game, I thought we came out completely flat in the first period. I was very worried and I thought we were fortunate to escape only down one goal. Our play improved as the game went on though. It's amazing that during this winning streak, it seems like we always go down 1-0 but show the perseverance to come back and win the game. RPI has some really talented players on this team and it great to see the players get amped up for this game. Like someone said earlier, it is a truly great time to be a Union College hockey fan.

To see us at #7 in the PWR is incredible. If the national tournament started today, we'd be a 2 seed. That being said, we still have 12 games remaining (all ECAC) so we have a long way to go.
          Totally agree that it was a fantastic atmosphere last night and great to see the students starting to take interest in mass. Keep up the good work UHM and get everyone stoked for next weekend too!! Its time to make Messa a tough place to play regardless of the opponent!!

Also agree that a facility upgrade will definitely be needed if more sellouts occur.. which means that the team has to keep winning so more pressure is put on the administration to do so .
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

#11 in the newest power rankings: http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...polls_0817.htm

Still excited about being #7 in the pairwise rankings though.
            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
              #11 in the newest power rankings: http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...polls_0817.htm

Still excited about being #7 in the pairwise rankings though.
              It's good to see that at least so far, the boys haven't let the rankings go to their heads. Not saying that Qpac did, but look what's happened to that team. It is pretty cool for the fans though.

Comment

It was great to see Messa packed on Saturday even if it was a tad bit uncomfortable. However, there's no reason why it shouldn't be that full for all league games. Sure RPI is a great rival but any other game can be just as fun and hopefully the support will continue.

Comment

You may call this an apple of discord: http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...a671633663.txt

What do Union fans think?
                  Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                    You may call this an apple of discord: http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...a671633663.txt

What do Union fans think?
                    I've got no problem with a coach supporting his team, I'd be surprised if he didn't and I also don't think he was being disrepectful of Union. As Nate Leaman said after the game in sum or substance, "That's his opinion". Ordinarily it could make good bulletin board material for a postseason rematch, but I don't really think that's necessary with these two teams as I think they grudgingly respect each other and genuinely dislike (and are probably sick of) each other as well. Don't they say "familiarity breeds contempt"?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      I've got no problem with a coach supporting his team, I'd be surprised if he didn't and I also don't think he was being disrepectful of Union. As Nate Leaman said after the game in sum or substance, "That's his opinion". Ordinarily it could make good bulletin board material for a postseason rematch, but I don't really think that's necessary with these two teams as I think they grudgingly respect each other and genuinely dislike (and are probably sick of) each other as well. Don't they say "familiarity breeds contempt"?
                      Agreed. I think it was a back-handed compliment of sorts to his own team and not meant to disrespect Union.

If I was Appert, I might have said it differently so as not to provoke anything, but I just think he was trying to build his own team's confidence.
                      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

For those who care to do so, please join in the discussion of a new or refurbished rink.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=87904

Comment

I’m still cautiously optimistic. The boys are playing well and have had consistent results, but I’m still a bit leery. Somehow it still feels as if we’ve yet to be really tested. Some of our stiffest competition still lays ahead with ties to avenge against Yale and Cornell. Well have to wait for the last weekend of play to be tested by Cornell which may prove to be “the” game of the regular season. Keep up the good work and skate hard, boys….and keep up the faith fellow Dutch fans.

Goooooo U

Comment

You guys are tied for seventh in the PWR...that's awesome. And with only ECAC games left it will take alot of losses to knock you out of the NCAA's !!

Cornell game will be big but don't look past Colgate. They outshot you at Messa and you haven't beaten them in Hamilton in God knows how long !! Good luck against "almost" everyone.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Hasn't Union gotten blown out at Colgate in the last few years?

BTW, I'm not in front of statistics right now, but how well has Union done in years past against Colgate while at Messa? I realize that time has already past, but it may give an indication as to what could happen in a month's time.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Hasn't Union gotten blown out at Colgate in the last few years?

BTW, I'm not in front of statistics right now, but how well has Union done in years past against Colgate while at Messa? I realize that time has already past, but it may give an indication as to what could happen in a month's time.
                                Pretty much. Union tied Colgate at Starr last year but Starr has been Union's little house of horrors for the past decade or so. At Messa, Union has won the last 3 meetings, as well as the Governor's Cup Meeting at the TU Center last year.
                                National Champions 2014!
                                Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                                Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                                Let's Go U!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X