PDA

View Full Version : Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Wholin1
01-18-2010, 08:43 AM
#11 in the newest power rankings: http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5Polls/0910/polls_0817.htm

Still excited about being #7 in the pairwise rankings though.
It's good to see that at least so far, the boys haven't let the rankings go to their heads. Not saying that Qpac did, but look what's happened to that team. It is pretty cool for the fans though.

SlyFoxMan7
01-18-2010, 10:38 AM
It was great to see Messa packed on Saturday even if it was a tad bit uncomfortable. However, there's no reason why it shouldn't be that full for all league games. Sure RPI is a great rival but any other game can be just as fun and hopefully the support will continue.

hockeyenthusiast
01-18-2010, 11:24 AM
You may call this an apple of discord: http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2010/01/18/sports/doc4b53f5767b5ba671633663.txt

What do Union fans think?

Wholin1
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
You may call this an apple of discord: http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2010/01/18/sports/doc4b53f5767b5ba671633663.txt

What do Union fans think?
I've got no problem with a coach supporting his team, I'd be surprised if he didn't and I also don't think he was being disrepectful of Union. As Nate Leaman said after the game in sum or substance, "That's his opinion". Ordinarily it could make good bulletin board material for a postseason rematch, but I don't really think that's necessary with these two teams as I think they grudgingly respect each other and genuinely dislike (and are probably sick of) each other as well. Don't they say "familiarity breeds contempt"? ;)

aweise
01-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I've got no problem with a coach supporting his team, I'd be surprised if he didn't and I also don't think he was being disrepectful of Union. As Nate Leaman said after the game in sum or substance, "That's his opinion". Ordinarily it could make good bulletin board material for a postseason rematch, but I don't really think that's necessary with these two teams as I think they grudgingly respect each other and genuinely dislike (and are probably sick of) each other as well. Don't they say "familiarity breeds contempt"? ;)

Agreed. I think it was a back-handed compliment of sorts to his own team and not meant to disrespect Union.

If I was Appert, I might have said it differently so as not to provoke anything, but I just think he was trying to build his own team's confidence.

Wholin1
01-19-2010, 07:31 AM
For those who care to do so, please join in the discussion of a new or refurbished rink.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=87904

OsecnUC
01-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Im still cautiously optimistic. The boys are playing well and have had consistent results, but Im still a bit leery. Somehow it still feels as if weve yet to be really tested. Some of our stiffest competition still lays ahead with ties to avenge against Yale and Cornell. Well have to wait for the last weekend of play to be tested by Cornell which may prove to be the game of the regular season. Keep up the good work and skate hard, boys.and keep up the faith fellow Dutch fans.

Goooooo U

sshablak
01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
You guys are tied for seventh in the PWR...that's awesome. And with only ECAC games left it will take alot of losses to knock you out of the NCAA's !!

Cornell game will be big but don't look past Colgate. They outshot you at Messa and you haven't beaten them in Hamilton in God knows how long !! Good luck against "almost" everyone.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Hasn't Union gotten blown out at Colgate in the last few years?

BTW, I'm not in front of statistics right now, but how well has Union done in years past against Colgate while at Messa? I realize that time has already past, but it may give an indication as to what could happen in a month's time.

Rolevio
01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Hasn't Union gotten blown out at Colgate in the last few years?

BTW, I'm not in front of statistics right now, but how well has Union done in years past against Colgate while at Messa? I realize that time has already past, but it may give an indication as to what could happen in a month's time.

Pretty much. Union tied Colgate at Starr last year but Starr has been Union's little house of horrors for the past decade or so. At Messa, Union has won the last 3 meetings, as well as the Governor's Cup Meeting at the TU Center last year.

Goaliefan
01-19-2010, 04:13 PM
The only time they won at Starr was back in the 97-98 season when they blew them out 6-0. I kind of equate it to the Curse of the Bambino. Hey, even the Red Sox eventually won a World Series and broke it (at least temporarily). In 18 seasons their record is 1-16-1 at Starr.

Wholin1
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Ugh, the Starr curse, what a buzzkill. :eek: Hopefully we'll be in first place by 3 points by the time the regular season closes out there. :D

OsecnUC
01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't think any Union fan is looking past any team in the ECAC. I even thought of Colgate, and many others, when making that post. Simply put, it just doesn't feel as if we have been really tested yet. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm not used to having a team like this one to root for, or maybe we haven't been tested. I was just stating that, at this point, it appears that the toughest games on paper will bee in the last 2 weekends of play. That said, let's start looking at this weekend...who is we're playing? :o

OK, Havahd is coming off a couple of wins including one against Ylae. This will be a test but you have to like the way we line up against them. Big Green is having a tough go of it, but you never know when a team is going to turn things around. The have the potential to come out hard and cause some problems. Let's see Messa rocking and get behind the boys.

Goooooo U

Wholin1
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm curious to see what kind of turnout we get this weekend. This team should be selling out or close to it from here on out because every game is huge and Union is sailing in uncharted waters. The fans have to show up in big enthusiastic numbers not just against RPI and Cornell, but with every ECAC foe. This teams deserves that kind of support and we need to make it tough for every visiting team.

Ralph Baer
01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Another article from about a week ago about Josh Jooris committing to Union http://www.thecchl.com/view/cchl/cchl-news/news_9341.

He apparently liked your rink.
"I saw a game there and the whole atmosphere - their rink - everything was just unbelievable, it gave me goose bumps when I saw the team come out," recalled Jooris. :rolleyes:

UnionHockeyManiac
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm curious to see what kind of turnout we get this weekend. This team should be selling out or close to it from here on out because every game is huge and Union is sailing in uncharted waters. The fans have to show up in big enthusiastic numbers not just against RPI and Cornell, but with every ECAC foe. This teams deserves that kind of support and we need to make it tough for every visiting team.

I did the facebook event thing again and there are already about 300 students signed up for the Harvard game on Friday. Maybe students won't be turned away this weekend, but I'm still expecting a big turnout.

SlyFoxMan7
01-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I very much think that Union can win both of these games or at least stay undefeated in the league. I know people tread very lightly here to not jinx things but I'm the most confident with this team than any in the past. And sometimes confidence is a great thing.

Union93
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice feature about the squad at the other college hockey website.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2010/01/21_unionquietly.php

UnionHockeyManiac
01-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Check out this week's INCH/ESPN college hockey chat. The first question answered in the chat is about Union! :)

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30411/inside-college-hockey

Wholin1
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I very much think that Union can win both of these games or at least stay undefeated in the league. I know people tread very lightly here to not jinx things but I'm the most confident with this team than any in the past. And sometimes confidence is a great thing.
I think the team is playing confidently as well. Confidence and momentum may be used interchangeably in many team sports but they're really not the same, IMO. I don't really believe in momentum, but confidence is an altogether different factor. A team with confidence generally plays smart and doesn't panic. In other words success breeds success.