Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

so so goaltending and PK/PP are different issues then bad penalties that cost games. gotta side w/ Nate on this one. it's been stressed over the years to not take bad penalties but it still continues. what other recourse does he have at this point? he's making the statement to the team that if you make dumb decisions you will be held accountable and your playing time will be reduced, no matter who you are. the team will be better off as a result. sure, we'd love to have them against Brom, but in the big picture this is more important.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

I'm guessing that the team was made well aware by the coaching staff what conduct would lead to disciplinary measures being taken. Failure to enforce the rules would in my view undermine the coaches authority and probably team morale if a double standard was applied. I'm also not sure what other approach can be taken to address the situation if players keep taking dumb penalties. Hopefully the team will circle the wagons against Brown and not get caught in the trap game which ADK described.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Just when I've thought I've seen it all with this team Brown puts them through the ringer again with a goal on their first shot and 2 shorties. Flat again in the first period, and fortunate to get the tie. A similar effort tomorrow will end badly.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
          Just when I've thought I've seen it all with this team Brown puts them through the ringer again with a goal on their first shot and 2 shorties....
          Sounds like secret agent Benny Barr was working with U's goalies again this week...
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Sounds like secret agent Benny Barr was working with U's goalies again this week...
            Trust me, it brought back that whole nightmare. Thankfully I brought my meds.

Comment

Not a good night by Union's d-men tonight, lots of bad passes and shaky puck handling (except for Schreiber THANK GOD!!). Felt bad for Corey on the 2 horrendous turnovers that led to the shorties. I know no one is asking me AND I'm usually wrong, but wonder if its time to have one pair of experienced d-men and take your chances with a more rookie 3rd pair. IMO Wakita & Schreiber should be paired together - they complement each other well and have experience playing together. Maybe then have Matheson with Stuart and Coburn with White.. will be nice to have Reid in the mix too.

One positive was that the PK looked more aggressive pressuring the puck and blocking shots - did a pretty good job tonight. Everything will have to be clicking tomorrow to have a chance against Yale.. it's hard to picture Union winning a shootout, but right now its even harder to picture Union suddenly playing great defense. Hopefully "the suspendees" will be back and the offense will be ready to go.. also will need a big game from Corey.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I unfortunately missed the game tonight because I traveled to NYC to see LeBron play my Knicks. Looks like Union did better than the Knicks because they at least eeked out a tie. What happened tonight? Were we bad or was Brown good?

Seems like Schreibz saved the day.
                LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Before tonight I would have said a tie with Yale would be a pretty good result.. but WOW that sucked!!!! Almost reminded of a certain 14 overtime killer a few years ago.. I know there are some positives to take out of this, but not sure I'm seeing them right now. I continue to be concerned about the goaltending and would not mind seeing Kinkaid at least get a chance to play soon..
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Unlike Friday's equivocal result, that definitely felt like a loss last night. This is the first game I saw where Union was dominated in the third period, granted it was against the strongest competition they've faced with the possible exception of RPI. I thought in general the team played well though, including the highly energized 4th line, an improved PK and a highlight reel goal from Buote to Zajac. Milan was better than Friday, but 2 goals off of faceoffs? I don't know how to attribute responsibility there but it probably needs to be shared. Also Yale did hit 2 pipes as well in the 3rd.

This team as so often seems to be the case, is still a work in progress and I'm guardedly optimistic, but it would be nice to start winning some of these games which are within our grasp. Playing hard, smart and aggressively for a full 60 minutes would probably be a good place to start.

Comment

What a weekend of lousy hockey! Everyone should take off their garnett colored glasses and face up to the fact that this team is far from exceptional. Milan has been mediocre, at best, throughout his career at U. Last night's 2nd and 3rd goals were soft, or at least stoppable by a keeper on top of his game. He even wiffed on a wrister to his catcher with 5 minutes left that narrowly missed. No screen, no deflection, an easy shot. He just doesn't get his head into the game.
                      The young defensemen should concentrate on defense and stop pinching in all the time. Seems as only Wakita and Schreiber understand what it is to stay home.
                      Back checking by the newer forwards is non-existant. Anyone with a mind knew that Sean Backman would be the guy to make a difference for Yale and he was left all alone to score the back breaker.
                      This is not a good way to leave for the North Country.
                      Come on boys, let's play hockey
                      Last edited by OsecnUC; 11-08-2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Hey, at least you guys didn't lose. Plus, we may have ticked off Yale a little too much on Friday, so it ended up you guys had a lot to deal with. The same was true with Brown at least in the beginning of our game. Six points in a weekend where we were expected to get four is a good thing, though.

Best of luck in the North Country next week.

Comment

Miserable weekend. I expected to get two points this weekend but now that it's over, I think we can all say that two points was a HUGE disappointment.

Comment

Huge disappointment...
                            Brown is not much of a team and I was really unimpressed with Yale. They have Backman and not much else. All in all they seem young and overated, essentially riding on last season's coat tails. Seems we are always ranking teams, at least early in the season, on what they did last year and not what type of talent they currently have. They usually come on stronger in the season, perhaps because the Ivy's don't start skating as early as the other ECAC teams, a marked disadvantage for them.
                            It feels like we were swept this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
                              Huge disappointment...
                              Brown is not much of a team and I was really unimpressed with Yale. They have Backman and not much else. All in all they seem young and overated, essentially riding on last season's coat tails. Seems we are always ranking teams, at least early in the season, on what they did last year and not what type of talent they currently have. They usually come on stronger in the season, perhaps because the Ivy's don't start skating as early as the other ECAC teams, a marked disadvantage for them.
                              It feels like we were swept this weekend
                              Yeah,you're right the IVIES don't start on a even playing field (er,
                              sheet of ice). Why not simply enjoy a well-deserved tie, and avoid going
                              ad hominem? Marc Arcobello,Broc Little, Denny Kearney, Brian O'Neill, and
                              Ryan Donald (to name just a few) are "not much else" ? Get SERIOUS!
                              Better yet, come to the Whale on 1/29/10...... you'll see a different result!

Comment

Originally posted by yaledoc View Post
                                Yeah,you're right the IVIES don't start on a even playing field (er,
                                sheet of ice). Why not simply enjoy a well-deserved tie, and avoid going
                                ad hominem? Marc Arcobello,Broc Little, Denny Kearney, Brian O'Neill, and
                                Ryan Donald (to name just a few) are "not much else" ? Get SERIOUS!
                                Better yet, come to the Whale on 1/29/10...... you'll see a different result!
                                Kearney got owned.

And I will do my best to make the Yale trip this year on January 29th.

Comment

Working...
                                X