Problems for Ford Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems for Ford Field?

I spoke to a reliable source this morning who says that the NCAA is exploring the possibility of moving the FF to Joe Louis Arena. Apparently less than half of the expected demand occurred. Stay tuned.
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Re: Problems for Ford Field?

*****http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/601/simpsonsnelsonhaha2z.jpg******
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
      I spoke to a reliable source this morning who says that the NCAA is exploring the possibility of moving the FF to Joe Louis Arena. Apparently less than half of the expected demand occurred. Stay tuned.
      Too bad. Not entirely surprising given the wobbly-kneed state of the national economy and the wreckage of the "local" midwest economy.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Maybe lower prices a little bit? I'm sure if a Michigan team makes it they will fill up those seats.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          Maybe lower prices a little bit? I'm sure if a Michigan team makes it they will fill up those seats.
          I think it's more along the lines of people don't want to pay to watch a game through binoculars.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I'd be all for this move, but the solution has already been mentioned. All you need is some shady refereeing (shouldn't be a problem, just use Hockey East refs) and the regionals to take place in a Michigan team's home arena (Yost for example) and you'll have a local team in there guaranteed. Fix it so that its Michigan vs Michigan St and throw in a free torch with every ticket so that fans can burn down Detroit afterwards as part of their celebration ritual and watch demand skyrocket!
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I don't see why anyone that considers himself to be a college hockey fan would root for this to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by PGB View Post
                I don't see why anyone that considers himself to be a college hockey fan would root for this to fail.
                How about because it is one of the stupider ideas ever presented? The outdoor games have some novelty, so fine they're on football fields. To play a hockey game in an indoor football venue that destroys site lines, etc. is beyond dumb.

Cripes, we have a basketball arena here in town that they tried to put the NHL in that is positively abysmal for watching hockey. This is likely to be brutal.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  How about because it is one of the stupider ideas ever presented? The outdoor games have some novelty, so fine they're on football fields. To play the 3 most important college hockey games of the year in an indoor football venue that destroys site lines, etc. is beyond dumb.
                  Improved, and completely agree.
                  Boston University 2009 Champs
                  Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

I don't see why anyone who truly understands the allure of college hockey would want this to succeed.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

How about because it is one of the stupider ideas ever presented? The outdoor games have some novelty, so fine they're on football fields. To play a hockey game in an indoor football venue that destroys site lines, etc. is beyond dumb.

Cripes, we have a basketball arena here in town that they tried to put the NHL in that is positively abysmal for watching hockey. This is likely to be brutal.
                      I am just quoting this so everyone reads it again...this post could not be more true. Why risk ruining the Frozen Four by turning it into a weekend of gimmicks?
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I am absolutely rooting for this to fail. It is nothing more than a publicity stunt and spits in the face of real college hockey fans who love it for its atmosphere. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's no way I'm spending my hard-earned, recession-weary money on a trip to Detroit, in early April, to see a game that's going to be 100 yards away. Particularly since it'll be on in hi-def.

At this point outdoor and stadium games are money- and publicity-grubbing stunts that abuse the good faith and loyalty of the college hockey fanbase.

OK, it'll get them exposure on ESPN - would it be any more or any less than any other national final? Surely they've calculated the intangible benefit that about 60,000 people will have the opportunity to see the national final who might not have otherwise. But are you really introducing them to the game? They won't even be able to see it, and the real lure of the college game is the intense rivalries, players who care, and an intense fan experience. Ford Field will offer none of that - unless the final is Michigan-MSU. More likely, the game will be two out of town teams like Miami vs BU and it'll be a half-empty morgue. Not to mention the fact that easy ticket availability will kill any buzz.

This is going to be a worse disaster than Anaheim and I am excited to see the NCAA get put in its place on this.

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                        I think it's more along the lines of people don't want to pay to watch a game through binoculars.
                        precisely.
                        Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

While I think the idea is odd I wish it success. Packing a football field for a hockey national championship would be a big deal. I don't want to be doing this regularly however it would be even more problematic for the sport if they only got 10,000 people to fill a 70,000 seat arena.

What the experience in DC this year taught me is that the championship will draw 20K loyal fans of the sport no matter who's in the Frozen Four. Selling out an NHL arena in a non-traditional hockey city with no local teams even near there was a big deal. Hockey in Michigan ought to be able to improve on that. The kicker will be if a nearby school makes the final round in order to sell the extra 35 thousand tickets the event will need to make having it there worthwhile. To that end I wonder if we'll see some shenanigans with the seeding, for example if Michigan, Michigan, St, Ohio St, and Minnesota all made the NCAA's, would they mysteriously all end up in different brackets to ensure that a couple of them made it to Detroit?

So, to sum up, I don't mind taking a few chances. DC was a chance. Florida will be too. So is having it in a football arena, and look on the bright side. If it does crap out, you won't see them trying this again for another 50 years, which is about the same time it'll take for Cincinnatti to ever host the finals again.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            I don't see why anyone who truly understands the allure of college hockey would want this to succeed.
                            Fine. Is part of that allure the fact that no one is looking to add the sport and that there are probably several existing teams hanging by a thread? That there are more have-nots than haves? I hope you like Division I with 58 teams (and SHRINKING). I hope you don't mind when TV coverage of an NCAA tournament game gets preempted by a regular season lacrosse game. But, to try to approach the excitement level in southeast Michigan last year for the Basketball Final Four was something I think was worth aiming for.

I understand the allure of college hockey. The bands, the student sections, the intensity of the game, the relative purity of the game (vs. pro hockey). What I can't understand is why trying to gain greater exposure for this great game is a bad thing.

Comment

I can see the allure of this idea if the demand for tickets were there. I have no problem with the FFFF if the NCAA were able to sell 60,000+ tickets. I can understand and respect the fact that the Frozen Four's been selling out NHL-size arenas consistently as of late, so it makes sense to try to consider larger venues. However...

The demand isnt there. Not for a 60,000+ venue. Maybe a 30,000+ venue if it existed, but I just don't see where you'll find that. There's no need to put this in such a large venue if most of the seats are going to be empty. It's much better to, as the saying goes, don't fix what ain't broke, than to show a half empty stadium on national television.

That said: There are some extreme attitudes out here that I just don't get. One is that larger venues are automatically better, even when the demand isn't there. The other being that there are actually people here who want to pretend that we should be putting the FF in 6,000 seater barns. I don't understand the notion that college hockey games need to be played in arenas where someone in the back row can spit and hit the goalie.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X