Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Taking the vernacular from Obama’s stimulus program, the Nanooks are “shovel ready”. No “plan and design” work necessary this season. No question on who is in charge. No doubt about “scope of work”, where we’re headed, and how to get there. Everything is ready to go. Now it’s just a lot of hard work.

Scoring was a struggle last year. If we don’t turn that around, “shovel ready” may refer to how quick and deep a hole we dig ourselves this season.

Go Nooks!

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

I spent more time talking then taking pics at tonights Blue/Gold scrimmage. It was at the on campus practice rink, where the company and food was good and plentiful, but the lighting bad. Fun atmosphere, but hard to tell anything about the team.

Can’t wait for next week.
    Go Nooks!
    Last edited by mmf; 10-08-2009, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the photos! It's nice to finally get underway. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I’m cautiously optimistic too, but as Nook fans that’s our role in all of this. Were done. We can go back to eating chips and drinking beer. Their work is just beginning.

I’m a little concerned about our size. That was almost the thread title – “Size Doesn’t Matter.” Too often at the end of a game or series, quick guys slow down a bit, but big guys are still big. Go figure.

But a well conditioned, team oriented, up-tempo style can overcome size. And it seems we have some skill guys. Should be a fun year. Put the puck in the net.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          I’m cautiously optimistic too, but as Nook fans that’s our role in all of this. Were done. We can go back to eating chips and drinking beer. Their work is just beginning.

I’m a little concerned about our size. That was almost the thread title – “Size Doesn’t Matter.” Too often at the end of a game or series, quick guys slow down a bit, but big guys are still big. Go figure.

But a well conditioned, team oriented, up-tempo style can overcome size. And it seems we have some skill guys. Should be a fun year. Put the puck in the net.

Go Nooks!
          I think we'll see more of the same this year with solid team defense and strong goaltending. Looking back to last season, what should have been a pretty average, middle-of-the-pack CCHA team hopped on Chad Johnson's shoulders to a top-4 finish, playoff series win, and a trip to Motown. Point being, Scott Greenham is probably going to have to carry this team for any hope at another Detroit trip.

If we can improve last season's abysmal PP and get our scoring average up even by one goal, and continue the strong defense, I think we'll be all right. But one thing I am somewhat worried about is our schedule. We have a couple of long road trips, combined with the rust-inducing 4 week break over Christmas. Neither of those factors has boded well for Nanook hockey in the past. Call me crazy, but I think last season's team benefited from a much shorter holiday break (December 21 to January 5th, or something like that). This season there's no games from December 11 to about January 9th or so.

My prediction is finishing somewhere between 5th and 8th, with another home playoff series win. I base that prediction because of Greenham still being something of an unknown; he was outstanding in limited action last year, but we don't know how well he'll hold up to the grind of being "the man". If he puts up Chad-esque numbers, then I may revise that prediction to 3rd or 4th place.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

On another note, I'm happy we'll be playing Michigan in a couple weeks at the Kendall Classic in Anchorage. That's a great early test against a perennial contender, even if that particular contest doesn't count in the CCHA standings.

Comment

I'll be making it up North for at least 2 different series plus the Brice. Can't wait to see how the Nanooks play this year.

I think it's a good plan for UAA and UAF to be playing the same team as an exhibition game to give everybody involved a better idea how we might pair up this year. That being said, good luck this season, until we meet up sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                I'll be making it up North for at least 2 different series plus the Brice. Can't wait to see how the Nanooks play this year.

I think it's a good plan for UAA and UAF to be playing the same team as an exhibition game to give everybody involved a better idea how we might pair up this year. That being said, good luck this season, until we meet up sometime...
                Must be early in the season UAA trolls being polite, that won't last long. I can't wait for UAA and Michigan to match up, UAA fans always state how much bigger and faster WCHA teams are. Tough game for our freshmen to start with but might as well throw them and Greenham right into the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                  Must be early in the season UAA trolls being polite, that won't last long. I can't wait for UAA and Michigan to match up, UAA fans always state how much bigger and faster WCHA teams are. Tough game for our freshmen to start with but might as well throw them and Greenham right into the fire.

Polite? Nah. I hate UA_, just as much as their fans hate UAA! Carry on.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post

Polite? Nah. I hate UA_, just as much as their fans hate UAA! Carry on.
                    It's a little early to bring the hate, isn't it? Shoot, I even drove past UAA this afternoon and didn't get the urge to stop and relieve myself on campus.

In all seriousness, best of luck until the end of February. At which point I hope we go Bill Murray vs. Gozar the Gozarian on you.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                      Rough summer there birdy breath or what?!

Comment

Dallas Ferguson gets a five year extension:

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/sep/2...ract-extensio/

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                          Rough summer there birdy breath or what?!
                          No summer was awesome, lots of softball and a vacation cruise. How about you? Is Shyiak stuck in Alaska? If he leaves the state can he get back in without a green card? Can't believe he gave up free health care to come to America.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            It's a little early to bring the hate, isn't it? Shoot, I even drove past UAA this afternoon and didn't get the urge to stop and relieve myself on campus.

In all seriousness, best of luck until the end of February. At which point I hope we go Bill Murray vs. Gozar the Gozarian on you.
                            The primary motive was to go see the Cup…..you and the bird are some of the luckiest _airbanks fans ever ……………..can go and see it on a daily basis. I’m happy for you.
                            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                              The primary motive was to go see the Cup…..you and the bird are some of the luckiest _airbanks fans ever ……………..can go and see it on a daily basis. I’m happy for you.
                              lol, that IS funny.
                              The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
                              X