Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Nothing will measure up to the attendance overload the _airbanks mental health clinic experienced after last year’s Governors Cup record setting appearance.
    C-

Come on, AH, you can do better.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Yup, at least expect empty seats for the UA_ games. Nobody from Anchorage wants to watch them. And if they are, they will be rooting for Michigan, I assure you!
      Come on Suze, talk about a slow curveball right over the plate!

*****http://media.adn.com/smedia/2009/01/23/21/355-shootout_blog_1.1232763951.standalone.prod_affilia te.7.jpeg******
      Last edited by Squarebanks; 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Number 15 for SAIT looks like he's 28 years old! Nice pics, those Nanooks don't look too fat.
        H e looks Like Johan Franzen from the wings!
        All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

After watching the exhib game, we are going to have a problem with bigger more physical teams again this year. We are small. Fast with some skill, but small. I really like that Yaremchuk kid though. He has the potential to put up some points this year I think.
          All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

Comment

Keep in mind though that SAIT is a pretty big team.

Comment

Quick stab at predictions for the upcoming weekend in A-town.

Oct. 9
              Michigan vs. Alaska Fairbanks
              I'm going with Michigan 4-1. I love the nooks, but think UMich is going to be too big, too fast, and to skilled for us. If anything maybe a closer score, but I don't think we will pull this off. I'm hoping for a different outcome than what my prediction is.

Mercyhurst vs. UAA
              I'm going with UAA 5-2 in this one. The Lakers played the Seawolves tough at the CC last year (6-4), but this game is at the Sully, and well the Lakers aren't going to win. I will say that I think the game will be close until about the half way point, at which time UAA will step on the accelerator. They will score a special team goal, and open it up.

Oct. 10
              Mercyhurst vs. Alaska Fairbanks
              I'm going with the Nooks 4-1. This game will cap off another tough trip to the Last Frontier for the Lakers. After this game, I'm guessing they'll think twice, before making the long trip north again. The Lakers struggled with our speed last year, and we took it to them pretty good (5-0). Unless they added a few new speedy players, they again will struggle with our speed.

Michigan vs. UAA
              This one is an interesting matchup in my opinion. I'm going with UMICH 3-2. I think the Seawolves can bang with the Wolverines. Actually they are probably the only team in the tourney that can. I also think the Seawolves will play tough in front of their home crowd. The only difference in this game is going to be UMich's speed and skill. UMich is lightening fast, and can bury the puck with their eyes closed. The Seawolves are going to need outstanding goal tending, and if they get it, the score will be tight.
              Last edited by Rms123; 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                Keep in mind though that SAIT is a pretty big team.
                They are, and in the second, we had problems with their size.

Comment

Nice pics, those Nanooks don't look too fat.
                  Until I read Donald's UAA blog, I didn't realize your reference -- that the Nanooks are supposedly the heaviest team in the country! (Our average player weight is 191.96 lbs., according to College Hockey News . . . despite the fact that we're near the bottom in height, averaging 5'11".37.

Okay, I find this hard to believe. My impression is that our player statistics might be a little . . . um, optimistic when it comes to height. I'm no good at judging weight, though. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Comment

Yup, at least expect empty seats for the UA_ games. Nobody from Anchorage wants to watch them. And if they are, they will be rooting for Michigan, I assure you!
                    If no wants to watch them then why is it the only time you can come close to selling out this dive called the Sully is when the nanooks play here.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                      If no wants to watch them then why is it the only time you can come close to selling out this dive called the Sully is when the nanooks play here.
                      LOL. This "dive"? You're just jealous because the Carlson Center is more like a highschool gymnasium, the bleachers in the balcony are priceless.
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

LOL. This "dive"? You're just jealous because the Carlson Center is more like a highschool gymnasium, the bleachers in the balcony are priceless.
                        Not to mention the plexiglass that is anything BUT transparent

Comment

I'd rather sit in some GA bleachers then have to bring my Grundens rain gear into that dump called the Sully. You would think this town would take better care of George Sullivan's namesake building.

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                            Not to mention the plexiglass that is anything BUT transparent
                            Still better than looking at early-80's brown and yellow decor

Comment

Shhhhhhhh...don't burst the bubble

Comment

The carlson center plexi is in worse shape than ever. This year it's got a fog on it, with enough clear spots on it that it's apparent to me no one cares enough to clean the glass, at all.

But that color scheme in the sully hurts my eyes.....

so we both lose.
                                The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
                                X