Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Typical response when you have no defense.
    Defense of what? You started this moronic arguement because UAA had one appearance at the NCAAs when they were an independant back in their heyday. Now we in Fairbanks better never forget your teams one moment of glory. Please tell us what happened the next game, they lost and out of the tournament, enough said rah rah UAA. Moral of the story better to have gone and lost than to never have gone. You win.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Were your current players even out of diapers at the time?
      no But that was about the time the bird jumped back in them.
      He's old
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        no But that was about the time the bird jumped back in them.
        He's old
        Hey old is relative, I am young in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
          Hey old is relative, I am young in my mind.
          Age ain't nothing but a number, my fellow ice-bound Anchorageite.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Big feature in the DNM today about Doc DelCastillo's mysterious departure from the hill.

http://newsminer.com/pages/full_stor...dow_left_top_3

My thoughts, not that anyone cares, are that the program is in far better shape now than it has been since Guy Gadowsky was in town. In a roundabout way, his departure worked out better for both him and the university, as I don't think he was ever going to get a handle on the team, and we found an apparent coaching gem in Dallas Ferguson as a result. And obviously if the team was never going to be successful under Doc, than it doesn't do much for him professionally to continue coaching the 'Nooks, other than collecting 97K per year.

Obviously there are some very ****ing comments about Braden Walls and Steve Vanoosten in that article, but the article was also pretty one-sided towards Doc. It seems pretty strange that a couple of players would go to those lengths to get a coach fired; what they are accused of doing could have pretty serious legal implications if it was proven that they actually convinced someone to file a harassment claim against their coach. The sexual harassment claims are hard to put a finger on (ha!), but I'm inclined to think that where there's smoke there's fire. Even if they were unsubstantiated, the University was probably smart to distance itself from Doc if it had serious reason to believe they were real.

But regardless I think the UAF hockey program is far better off now, and it sounds like Doc landed on his feet.

Looking through the comments thread on that article, this one sums it up best: "The University didn't "owe" Doc a job. They could fire him for any reason or no reason, as long as it wasn't for race, nationality, gender, etc...(those things that are protected). Personally, I'd fire him for being 9-21-5. That could hardly be construed as good job performance.

If I were him I would've just left and went about rebuilding my life. Nothing good will come of this for him."
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Looks like the UAF administration was searching for a reason to get rid of Doc. UAF may not have to have a reason to fire him...then don't renew his contract (another odd thing...a 1 year contract for a 1st year coach). Don't use sexual harassment allegations that the university has not even investigated to determine their validity as a reason to fire the coach. Sexual harassment is a charge that could taint him professionally for years to come.

BTW...did the new coach get a 1 year contract?
              This SHARPIE is for you!

Comment

Originally posted by UNOMav View Post

BTW...did the new coach get a 1 year contract?
                I think Dallas got a 2 year contract to start with, and he was recently given a 5-year extension.

Comment

I think it's good to have the information out there, even if it is based almost solely on Doc's word. The University won't say anything and it sounds like efforts were made to contact the women, but were unsuccessful, so other than rumor there isn't much to report other than what Doc says.

Still most people can kind of read between the lines and can say that at a minimum Doc wasn't making any friends at the university or on the hockey team.

It's possible that having got at least this much information out on the situation that somebody that was involved on the other side might get in touch with the News-Miner. If not at least people have a better idea of what was going on up on the hill. I think Danny did a good job with a story many people didn't think would see the light of day.

Comment

Wish I'd found this thread first....

Thoughtful comments Squarebanks and richl49. Sad situation, didn't look like Doc was going to be successful (perhaps lots of reasons...) and ultimately the change is looking like a good one for the program.

Change is often painful, fortunately, for both Doc and the 'Nooks the future is looking bright.

Comment

Originally posted by UNOMav View Post
                      Looks like the UAF administration was searching for a reason to get rid of him...?
                      not the first
                      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I suspect there is still a lot that has not, nor ever will come to light about this unfortunate situation. Just be glad he was only there for one year, and didn't totally kill your program like Talafous did with Anchorage.

You are much better off without him.
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I suspect there is still a lot that has not, nor ever will come to light about this unfortunate situation. Just be glad he was only there for one year, and didn't totally kill your program like Talafous did with Anchorage.

One of the few times I would agree with you......................both about Doc, and Talafous.
                          All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Agree 100%, and all the more reason to just leave this little episode in the past and move on.

Comment

On to Sault St. Marie and the Upper Peninsula. According to the blog, the guys will stay on the road and not return to Fairbanks for one whole day before heading back south. Hopefully this will allow the younger guys to get used to being on the road, and allow the team as a whole to get their legs back underneath them. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be more in sync as a team against LSSU than we were against Bowling Green. And, hopefully Friday was a lesson to not take anybody lightly, especially when you're in their barn.

Abel Arena has not been kind to the 'Nooks in years past (we won, and tied coupled with a shootout W in Fairbanks last year), and LSSU did take down UNO this past weekend. Should be an interesting couple of games.

Comment

They looked like a top team in the nation in the first period. And Greenham is looking average I'm sad to say.
                                Last edited by 1/2 nook; 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X