This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

A large amount of press lately... here's one from the Waterbury Republican American.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
    Northeast Regional:
    West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

An update on Bryan Leitch
      Let's go Q!

Win or Lose, I'm still a Bobcat

Comment

After a very, very long wait, my account was finally activated here. I am a freshman at Quinnipiac and have been closely following not only the ice hockey team, but this board since the beginning of the year. Thanks to you guys, i have gained a much deeper understanding for this team, and the very exciting season we have had so far. It will definitely be interesting to see how the team plays in the second half of the year, as i can tell you guys that there is a lot of excitement about the team with the students.

Unfortunately, a lot of the students that go to the games are not that very intelligent hockey fans, or are that knowledgeable about the team. This results in very inconsistent attendance from us students. One very promising thing about the students section, is that if you look at all of the students there, the vast majority are freshman this year. This means that our freshman class could arguably be one of the most passionate classes about the school's athletics ever (I know for a fact that we are the largest class ever).

Quinnipiac is doing a very good job of spreading their name, and gaining more national recognition. The school is up and coming, and more enthusiastic sports fans are beginning to apply to QU (thanks in large part to their very good communications school). So I am very confident that as opposed to other incoming classes, with each new incoming class in the future, even more and more passionate sports fans will be coming here, which means more consistent and dedicated support for all of the school's sport teams.

Comment

Originally posted by MSchvatz44 View Post

Unfortunately, a lot of the students that go to the games are not that very intelligent hockey fans, or are that knowledgeable about the team. This results in very inconsistent attendance from us students. One very promising thing about the students section, is that if you look at all of the students there, the vast majority are freshman this year. This means that our freshman class could arguably be one of the most passionate classes about the school's athletics ever (I know for a fact that we are the largest class ever).
          Welcome.

It's always been that way with the freshman class representing the vast majority of the students at hockey games. Has been that way for the last 5 or 6 years. Unfortunate, once a majority of the students are upperclassman and they've been in Hamden for 3 or 4 years, going to QU athletic events becomes a low priority. With that said, there will always be a great core of students who follow the team all four years and travel to playoff games and whatnot... but going to hockey games has always been a freshman thing to do when freshman can't have cars on campus and thus are somewhat restricted in where and what they can do.

It'd be nice if it changes, but as you pointed out, very few of the students attending are really there because they are passionate about the sport/team. Luckily once your class becomes upperclassmen, those students who do attend the games, will be much more into it, and you'll get to know a lot of those students over the next four years.

Comment

Anyone going to Harvard next week? I think, Jimroz and our cadre will be there.

Comment

Quinnipiac is doing a very good job of spreading their name, and gaining more national recognition. The school is up and coming, and more enthusiastic sports fans are beginning to apply to QU (thanks in large part to their very good communications school). So I am very confident that as opposed to other incoming classes, with each new incoming class in the future, even more and more passionate sports fans will be coming here, which means more consistent and dedicated support for all of the school's sport teams.

As Minni pointed out, going to hockey games is a freshmen thing. More students will go to the bigger name games (Yale, for example) but there are probably only about 200 die hard fans in the whole school.
              Honestly, the students don't follow the team. My sister, who has two die hard hockey fans in her family and lives on campus didn't know we were ranked fourth in the nation a month ago and are leading the ECAC so if she doesnt even realize how good the team is, how are other students supposed to?
              But without trying to sound like a Debbie Downer, hopefully years to come will bring stronger crowds from the students. Even our season ticket holders need to step it up a bit i think.

I will be going to Harvard, weather permitting.
              Let's go Q!

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
                Unless a Christmas miracle happens I won't be able to make it (nor Princeton)!

I think wonger is planning on making the trip and Starless... whatever-her-name is () is considering it.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by starlessixisky View Post
                  My sister, who has two die hard hockey fans in her family and lives on campus didn't know we were ranked fourth in the nation a month ago and are leading the ECAC so if she doesnt even realize how good the team is, how are other students supposed to?
                  To be fair, we're lucky if she remembers her name!
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

After a very, very long wait, my account was finally activated here.
                    Welcome to the jungle!

Unfortunately, a lot of the students that go to the games are not that very intelligent hockey fans, or are that knowledgeable about the team. This results in very inconsistent attendance from us students.
                    I like the unintelligent fans... they make me feel smart!

Actually, the fact that they're there is all that matters. Maybe they'll get bitten by the bug and become real fans. Of course, winning has a funny way of making that happen too.

The student turnout has been really good so far this season. Hopefully that will continue because the team really responds when the student section is into the game.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                      Welcome to the jungle!

I like the unintelligent fans... they make me feel smart!

Actually, the fact that they're there is all that matters. Maybe they'll get bitten by the bug and become real fans. Of course, winning has a funny way of making that happen too.

The student turnout has been really good so far this season. Hopefully that will continue because the team really responds when the student section is into the game.
                      Mark, I gotta disagree with that.

Yes, 3-4 years ago it was nice that they were there. It was nice that we were developing a loud student section.

But that's not a fanbase. It's like the celebrity that goes to a Knicks game because she wants to be seen at a Knicks game, but wears sunglasses and doesn't even know what a dribble is. It's time for our student section to go because they want to cheer on the Bobcats, not because they want to be seen at a QU hockey game.

We need a student fanbase, not a group of students yelling idiotic things at an opponent while dreaming up their plans for later in the night to get their stomachs pumped.

Comment

well, hearing some of the things you guys told me kind of contradict what i was saying. i was unaware that the freshman class interest in the hockey team is the same every year. yet, i would like to think that my freshman class is rather enthusiastic about the hockey team.

there is no doubt that Quinnipiac is gaining more national recognition, and i feel that it is translating to the students. i am apart of the sports department at the student run radio station at the school. and i can vouch that there is a very good amount of us die-hards, that live and die with not only the ice hockey team, but all Quinnipiac athletics. i am confident that my freshman class will remain interested with the universities athletics throughout our entire college career.

and on to the subject of the fan base, i have to agree with ZYanks on this one. yea, it is nice to have the student section packed, but i would rather have a truly dedicated, fan base. with that, i feel that an even stronger, more passionate student section can truly grow.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                          We need a student fanbase
                          yea, it is nice to have the student section packed, but i would rather have a truly dedicated, fan base. with that, i feel that an even stronger, more passionate student section can truly grow.
                          I agree with both of you. My point was that getting them there is the first step. Do you think every student at Lynah is a fan of the game? It's more about supporting the team IMHO.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the student crowd seems to show more hope this year than in the past.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
                            I'll be going unless a blizzard hits.

Wow, this board goes bonkers once a newbie arrives on the scene. MSchvatz welcome aboard. I'll comment on the student situation later, but it's off to work.

Player point values will be posted on the Salary cap thread later today with the games being only a week away. Hope you all post.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post

We need a student fanbase, not a group of students yelling idiotic things at an opponent while dreaming up their plans for later in the night to get their stomachs pumped.

wait, you mean they don't go back to their rooms after the game and study?

But I agree, we need the students there who know and care about the game.
                              Let's go Q!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                                I agree with both of you. My point was that getting them there is the first step. Do you think every student at Lynah is a fan of the game? It's more about supporting the team IMHO.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the student crowd seems to show more hope this year than in the past.
                                If we're not past that point by now, something's seriously wrong. This was an issue when I was a sophomore -- 4 years ago. In 4 years, what have we done, if this is still an issue?

Comment

Working...
                                X