PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51

Quinn57
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, we have a pair of games this weekend!

IF we swept, I think we'd be back on track. Despite the lack of rabid student support (they're still on vacation right? i'd like to keep living vicariously through them) the fact we're hosting a WCHA opponent should buoy the kids enough to get up for these games.

Realistically 2-3 points should be in the cards, but if you told me on Sunday that we played our hearts out and tied them twice, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

MarkEagleUSA
01-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Realistically 2-3 points should be in the cards, but if you told me on Sunday that we played our hearts out and tied them twice, I wouldn't be heartbroken.To be honest I'll take that as well.

Go Q!

realet
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Good evening from TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden.

Quinnipiac's lineup tonight is as follows:
Rolheiser-Zurevinski-Langlois
Atkinson-Lampe-Heichman
Goodman-Wong-Beaudoin
X-Arnt-Ketchum

Currie-Hansen
Glaicar-Dickinson
Dalhuisen-Barron
Davies

Sophomore Dan Clarke gets the nod in net.

For SCSU:

Mosey-Roe-Novak
Festler-Marvin-Lasch
Hanowski-LeBlanc-Eddy
Christian-Oslund-Ammerman

Hepp-Raboin
Lauridsen-Johnson
Gaudet-Zabkowicz

Junior Dan Dunn is in net for the Huskies.

You can follow the game tonight on Twitter with my account (realet) tonight.

MarkEagleUSA
01-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Overall, it was a pretty good hockey game. Neither team dominated and the Bobcats may have actually had the advantage in the 2nd and 3rd. The problem was they weren't getting enough good quality shots on net, and when they did SCSU was blocking most of them before they got through. If nothing else, it's something they should be able to build on.

ZYanksRule
01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
The biggest problem is that they're playing hard and playing well. It's not that they're mailing games in, they're just not playing well enough to win.

MarkEagleUSA
01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
The biggest problem is that they're playing hard and playing well. It's not that they're mailing games in, they're just not playing well enough to win.Especially tonight. Probably the best they've skated in the past month. Just no offensive punch... bad bounces, sloppy stick work and puck handling, whiffed shots (Wong missed a WIDE open net in the first; Heichman missed one in the 3rd). I think that leads them to tighten their grip on the sticks and not relax. They're definitely not playing the same style they did in November, but tonight was an improvement so hopefully they can make some noise tomorrow.

A Shot and a Goal
01-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Especially tonight. Probably the best they've skated in the past month. Just no offensive punch... bad bounces, sloppy stick work and puck handling, whiffed shots (Wong missed a WIDE open net in the first; Heichman missed one in the 3rd). I think that leads them to tighten their grip on the sticks and not relax. They're definitely not playing the same style they did in November, but tonight was an improvement so hopefully they can make some noise tomorrow.

Mark, Tough night for the Q. Remember when you heard about Tiger Woods lying in the street, bloodied, lips cut, at two in the morning, with his car bouncing off trees and fire hydrants? Kinda describes how the Q team must feel right now. :eek:

Better luck tomorrow night. Hanfg in there. :)

MarkEagleUSA
01-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Hanfg in there.I'm hanfgin'! :D

In other news, Sorty is heading to Utah (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/members/quinnipiac/20101401_SortebergUtahTrade).

A Shot and a Goal
01-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Mark, Tough night for the Q. Remember when you heard about Tiger Woods lying in the street, bloodied, lips cut, at two in the morning, with his car bouncing off trees and fire hydrants? Kinda describes how the Q team must feel right now. :eek:

Better luck tomorrow night. Hanfg in there. :)

I'm hanfgin'! :D

In other news, Sorty is heading to Utah (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/members/quinnipiac/20101401_SortebergUtahTrade).

I'm not admitting anything, but it might have been that third glass of Pinot Noir typing there. ;)

critsports
01-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Thought Q played well tonight but several items I'd comment on........

1. The travelling for St. Cloud aside it really isn't/wasn't much of a home ice advantage for Quinnipiac. With the students not there....the crowd was sparse and there wasn't much cheering for the home team. The last few weeks the bank has been dead and believe me players feed off of crowd noise and partiicpation. More people need to come out to these games. To this unbiased observer attendance seems to be dwindling rather than growing.
2. Those of you who know me know I am an SLU fan who goes to your games to cheer you on as I can't make that long trip up to Canton very often from CT. This is an overall ECAC comment but I have watched my Saints go on the road out of conference (Michigan two years ago) and seen us get "hosed" by the officiating. We had ECAC refs and I'll tell you what...no one can accuse them of being homers!!!! To give St. Cloud two 5 on 3's at the start of the game was ridiculous. Q came out hitting and controlling the play the first few minutes and Kotyra took the momentum away from them and handed it to St. Cloud. The calls did even out as the game wore on but hey...how bout some home cooking?????!!!!!!! It's what happens to our league when we go out there.
3. I regret to say I have seen more Q games this year than SLU games. I saw Q at Holy Cross plus the last few home games. Comparing them to watching Q in the beginning of the year and there is NO COMPARISON to the offensive output. It was clicking early on and it has been dormant for about a month now. Mark Eagles comments about missed passes, bouncing pucks, many shots getting blocked and not getting through was spot on. The players seem to be treating the puck like a hot potato getting rid of it before they even have it. It seems they need a moment of calm, a look around, etc. before just dumping the puck in. (I also think there is way too much dump and chase going on).

For the most part once Q got past the first period I thought they carried the play, were more physical but just didn't generate enough quality scoring chances. Tomorrow is another day........here's hoping your offensive finds some punch and some fans show up and make some noise!!!

allnightwong
01-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Those of you who know me know I am an SLU fan who goes to your games to cheer you on as I can't make that long trip up to Canton very often from CT.

Couldn't agree more Crits...with every point you make, especially the dump and chase. The team needs to get more shots from the point on the power play...this cycling behind the net and stuff shots are not working for us, only against us.

Thanks for your support bud and hopefully we'll see ya soon. Good luck to your Saints.

MarkEagleUSA
01-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Those of you who know me know I am an SLU fan...Nobody's perfect, Mike! :p

...who goes to your games to cheer you on as I can't make that long trip up to Canton very often from CT.

Thanks for your support budI couldn't agree more. It's nice to have an impartial view point sometimes when our blue & gold glasses get fogged up! ;)

Getting you in a Bobcat jersey might be a stretch, but we'll have to at least get you one of the freebie t-shirts so you can blend in! :D

ZYanksRule
01-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Tonight's game should be fun -- after some of the shenanegans last night, I expect a physical, chirpy, chippy game. Should be entertaining. Hopefully the Bobcats remember they have the offensive talent of the Capitals, not the Rangers. (Comparatively to the rest of college hockey -- The Bobcats could outscore the Rangers in the NHL, though!)

MarkEagleUSA
01-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Hopefully the Bobcats remember they have the offensive talentThat's all they need to turn this around. Tonight's as good a night as any to do so! ;)

Go Q!

MCL298
01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
has this team hit rock bottom yet?

at first i was upset i couldn't make it up there this weekend but maybe thats a good thing. watching them lose in person is painful.

allnightwong
01-16-2010, 08:58 PM
has this team hit rock bottom yet?

at first i was upset i couldn't make it up there this weekend but maybe thats a good thing. watching them lose in person is painful.

They played well tonight in the first and third. Very well in fact. If they could put together a full 60 minutes and keep up the intensity they had in the first and third they would have won this game and most games. During the third glimpses of the team that started 13-1 was there. They are NOT DEAD YET and many like the above poster need to realize that. In person tonight, I witnessed a crappy second period and the boys play their hearts out during the rest of the game. I don't know what is said during the first intermission but they seem to be playing their worst during the first ten minutes of the second period. It happened tonight and against RPI.

The team did however give me hope for next weekend and the rest of the season. It does not get any easier however, Niagara after starting 0-8-2 have gone 6-4 since beating the ECAC likes of RPI, Colgate and SLU along with Robert Morris, RIT and Bemidji. Not too shabby. The four losses have come to Bemidji (2), North Dakota and SLU. They, again, will not be a push over. But I have hope simply because down 3, the boys did not lay over and die, there is still a ton of fight in this club and with league play evening out in the not so distant future, I still think we'll be in it to win it. We lost to a good team twice this weekend, playing in a way that would beat most league teams...it could be worse.

MarkEagleUSA
01-16-2010, 09:38 PM
They played well tonight in the first and third. Very well in fact. If they could put together a full 60 minutes and keep up the intensity they had in the first and third they would have won this game and most games. During the third glimpses of the team that started 13-1 was there.I think it's safe to say that tonight's 3rd was as good as any period they've played this year. They had intensity, showed some aggression, and kept pressuring. The 6-on-4 PP was a gutsy call by Pecknold but had the desired result. Oh, but for a post and a crossbar...

While the scoreboard doesn't show it, everyone needs to remember that we faced a hot goalie in Lee who helped TeamUSA win the gold over Canada at the World Juniors! The kid is a stud in net and made some huge saves tonight (none bigger than the one from point blank while on his back in the 3rd).

As a matter of fact, even with the horrible play in the 2nd, this game was determined in net. Clarke wasn't on his game tonight and that was the difference. He wasn't bad, just off his game.

Again, we said goodbye to Brett Dickinson. Tonight was his last game as a Bobcat. He made some huge contributions to this team this year. It's a shame on many levels... first, he's only a junior and second, it was an obscure NCAA eligibility policy (as I understand it) that ended his collegiate career. I wish him well in whatever his future holds (I hope that includes finishing his QU education).

ZYanksRule
01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
This streak is going to end, and soon. This team is playing too well to not. Stuff just seems to be happening where a goalie makes an insane save (both of these games featured insane third period saves that kept QU from tying it up).

It's bad luck more than anything right now -- this is the end of the losing streak, and this is what happens when you're at the end of a long losing streak, the breaks just don't go your way.

It was great seeing everyone tonight, saw way too many people to name... was a good time at The Bank, I'm hoping to make it up for another game before the year's out.

MarkEagleUSA
01-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Here's some good news/bad news....

Jamie Bates had a "career" game (http://www.stocktonthunder.com/news/latestnews/?article_id=1165) last night with a 4 goals in a 5-point effort against the Utah Grizzlies, setting and tying a couple of team records! Way to rep the Q, Jamie! :cool:

Now for the bad news... if you check the boxscore (http://echl.leaguestat.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=7545) you'll see that Sorteberg was a -4 for Grizzlies. Welcome to Utah, Matt! :eek:

MarkEagleUSA
01-17-2010, 07:45 AM
This streak is going to end, and soon. This team is playing too well to not.Conventional wisdom would say it has to, right? :confused:

Stuff just seems to be happening where a goalie makes an insane save (both of these games featured insane third period saves that kept QU from tying it up).Mike Lee was the difference last night, no question. Some of his saves were incredible, not to mention timely. That stop in the 3rd on Coughlin from point blank while on his stomach was amazing.

As wonger pointed out, they showed a lot of promise last night, especially in the 3rd. There were a lot of positives to take out of the entire weekend. If they can piece it all together like they were doing way back when, they can turn this around.

As disappointing as getting swept is, I'm still optimistic! ;)