PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51

red army hockey
01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Another tough weekend - Our biggest problem going forward is QU has played 4 or 5 more league games then the other contenders - We are going to be on the road for the first round if they don't watch out and who would have guessed that a month ago when it looked like a sure lock bye

Play Clarke as much as possible - You cant win when every 3rd shot goes in I think at one point in the RPI game RPI had 4 shots and winning 2-0 - That can't happen - the forwards are squeezing the sticks many missed opportunities - Everyone needs to relax and get back to having fun!

I think Rand always has a tendency to work his team hard all the time and they never get a break - The season isn't a sprint its a marathon - They have looked sluggish and pressing - There is great leadership and a good core of Sr's that get it and I look for a big weekend against St Cloud and then get after Cornell

Lets Go Cats!

starlessixisky
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Once the opponents figured out what we were doing right they adjusted their game plans accordingly.

hmm... and who's been saying this since brown? :rolleyes:

starlessixisky
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Another tough weekend - Our biggest problem going forward is QU has played 4 or 5 more league games then the other contenders - We are going to be on the road for the first round if they don't watch out and who would have guessed that a month ago when it looked like a sure lock bye

Play Clarke as much as possible - You cant win when every 3rd shot goes in I think at one point in the RPI game RPI had 4 shots and winning 2-0 - That can't happen - the forwards are squeezing the sticks many missed opportunities - Everyone needs to relax and get back to having fun!

I think Rand always has a tendency to work his team hard all the time and they never get a break - The season isn't a sprint its a marathon - They have looked sluggish and pressing - There is great leadership and a good core of Sr's that get it and I look for a big weekend against St Cloud and then get after Cornell

Lets Go Cats!

It's nice to hear someone else with optimism!!

I agree Hartzell had a very very weak game against RPI, and I also think Clarke has done a really great job this year.

I few posts ago someone mentioned how Clarke has been played too much - that there were games Cadieux or Hartzell should have played - but if we look back to Fisher's freshmen-junior years he got the majority of the playing time. It wasn't really until his senior year when his play started to falter that he got pulled from net. Granted, our backups weren't very strong with McGann and the other kid's name is slipping from my mind right now. Granted, our two freshmen this year are supposed to be outstanding, but as many of you I think would agree with me, when they've been in net, they haven't been very solid and that's why Clarke got the #1 spot in net.

Rand does schedule a lot of games for the boys - you can see it from our record compared to other teams, but he's smart. He picks the nationally ranked teams to give the boys a challenge as well as strengthen our recruiting. It will get our name out there more and kids will want to come here if they get the chance to play some big name schools. So it's sort of a double edged sword. Get the benefit of getting your name out there, but then the boys are playing a bit more, which can be exhausting on their bodies. At the same time though, from my experience of working with another team, it's sometimes better to establish a rhythm of playing every week, rather than playing for three weekends straight, then having two weeks off, playing another four weeks, have another two weeks off. It can upset any sort of pace that you've set.

After following the team for five years now, I've never thought to blame Rand or the rigorous schedule for the team's mishaps. Granted it really hasn't been until this season that I've paid a lot of attention and have been posting.

allnightwong
01-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Well big disparity between how the USCHO poll sees us and the US Today. We don't even find ourselves finding votes in the USA Today and could ya blame them? USCHO has us at 17 which, in my opinion, is real generous. But it also leads to a more interesting headline going into SCSU weekend. #17 QU vs. #14 SCSU. I don't have any clue how INCH still has us at 15.

Regardless of rank, let's go out and take at least a couple points this weekend.

MarkEagleUSA
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
USCHO has us at 17 which, in my opinion, is real generous.

I don't have any clue how INCH still has us at 15.As far as I'm concerned, it means that the pollsters don't think our early success was a fluke. Of course, it's now up to us to prove them right.

Regardless of rank, let's go out and take at least a couple points this weekend.It's a must-win weekend for sure. At a minimum we have to take 2 points. I won't complain at all if we take more!

starlessixisky
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I must say after reading some other threads and witnessing the scrap on here a few posts ago, we are quite a decent, friendly group :) I don't cringe when I read this thread....

allnightwong
01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Very true...big time Scumbags out there

allnightwong
01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Where is everyone? Arguably the biggest hockey program the Bank has ever hosted coming to our house this weekend and nobody has anything to say? I know we've hit a rough patch, but its a long long season. My prediction.

F- Quinny 4, SCSU 3 OT
S- SCSU 3, Quinny 1

MarkEagleUSA
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I've been hesitant to talk about this weekend because I honestly don't know what to expect. I know what I'd like to see happen... :D

If we play the way we did prior to December, I think we can handle SCSU. It would be huge all around if we could pull off a sweep, but realistically I'm looking for a split. Whatever happens, this weekend is huge for our program and the boys have to show up and compete hard. Win or lose, just leave it all out on the ice.

Go Q!

ZYanksRule
01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
I think SCSU is exactly what this team needs -- they need a jolt of energy, they seem to have peaked. While they've played well recently, they haven't been able to get it done. I think having a team from one of the biggest conferences in the nation will give this team a jolt it so desperately needs.

I'll be there on Saturday, hopefully they put on a good show!

LynahFan
01-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Where is everyone? Arguably the biggest hockey program the Bank has ever hosted coming to our house this weekend and nobody has anything to say? I know we've hit a rough patch, but its a long long season. My prediction.

F- Quinny 4, SCSU 3 OT
S- SCSU 3, Quinny 1
SCSU a "bigger" hockey program than former national champions Cornell, Harvard, RPI? Heck, Clarkson has 13 more NCAA wins than SCSU does. Not all WCHA teams are "WCHA teams" if you get my drift...

(that oughta stir up the SCSU faithful) ;)

allnightwong
01-15-2010, 06:00 AM
SCSU a "bigger" hockey program than former national champions Cornell, Harvard, RPI? Heck, Clarkson has 13 more NCAA wins than SCSU does. Not all WCHA teams are "WCHA teams" if you get my drift...

(that oughta stir up the SCSU faithful) ;)

Haha yes it will. But I think what Yanks was saying is that it is nice to get some new blood in the rink from a powerhouse conference, coming across the nation, not to mention a team that has been ranked consistently over the last few years.

As for Harvard, RPI and Cornell...maybe we just get sick of seeing the same old faces all the time. :p It's refreshing to see someone new.

AND, how do you know we won't be getting this worked up later in the season when Cornell and 'Gate come in for some televised affair?

I get what you're saying on the history front though.

allnightwong
01-15-2010, 06:14 AM
"Quinnipiac

1) Whatever it was we just had! But lost somehow! The Bobcats entered December at 12-1-0 and earned first-place votes in the USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll for the first time ever. Now, however, QU is 13-7-1 and averaging barely two goals a game in its last eight. Whatever “It” was, it doesn’t seem to be the defense’s fault; the ‘Cats have allowed only 25 goals in those eight games, including seven in the skid-starting loss at Yale.

2) The Whitney War. Everyone knows that Yale and Quinnipiac are rivals, but those snobs down the street can’t see outside of their Ivy bubble. Maybe if we crush them a few dozen more times, they’ll begin to show us the hatred we so richly deserve. (And yes, I’m going to continue pushing “Whitney War” as the rivalry’s official title.)

3) Big-name visitors. True, Massachusetts and St. Cloud State have turned out to be pretty significant guests on this year’s docket, but when do we get to see the Michigans, Minnesotas, Denvers, and Boston Universities of the nation? Either lure the big-time programs, or give us that annual Northford Ice Pavilion game. For old time’s sake?"

How on point is Sullivan with this one? Aside from point number one which is pretty obvious at this point, it's clear that Sullivan has a strong grasp on the local hockey scene and the pulse of what is going on with our gold and blue boys. I love "The Whitney War" and aside from heading to Albany this year, the Yale/QU games are the biggest of the season bar none. Yes, those pompous, stubborn, Whale dwellers (coach included) are having a tough time separating their rivalries with those old ivies and acknowledging what is coming of age right in front of their faces. But fans on both sides can't deny how amazing each game is, be it at Ingalls or the Bank.

As far as point three, this is a constant conversation point among us on here and on game nights. Who can we bring in? Malafronte touches on this in an article in today's register, but Sullivan is right on on this topic too. I have to believe that those teams will be coming within the next few years, In Chippie's article he mentioned that Jack Mac is in talks with North Dakota for a home and home. Q played there a few years back, so maybe they'll repay the favor. I believe a game at the NIP for old times sake would be great, even if it was just the annual blue/gold scrimmage. I don't really think any big games should leave the Bank because it is one of the best young arenas in the nation, but there was something about playing at the NIP that will be near and dear to me and quite a few other posters on here.

Thanks Brian, great work this week.

allnightwong
01-15-2010, 06:17 AM
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/01/15/sports/15-quinnipiac-yale_hockey_advance.txt

Chip's Register article. I normally rip Chip for covering Yale more than us. But he always has a way of redeeming himself ;).

LynahFan
01-15-2010, 06:21 AM
I get what you're saying on the history front though.
And I get why you're excited to have SCSU coming to town - I'd be excited, too. Not too many WCHA teams are willing to travel east (notable exception: UND), so it's great that you were able to land this series. Just picking on the use of the word "biggest" to stir it up a bit...

allnightwong
01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
And I get why you're excited to have SCSU coming to town - I'd be excited, too. Not too many WCHA teams are willing to travel east (notable exception: UND), so it's great that you were able to land this series. Just picking on the use of the word "biggest" to stir it up a bit...

Not a problem. It doesn't take a lot to get them stirred up.

FlagDUDE08
01-15-2010, 08:06 AM

The same bodes true for the CCHA. And given how much they have to travel in the year for their conference games, I can't say that I blame them for not wanting to come out here.

MinniQUFan
01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Bringing back a annual NIP game would be amazing.

Quinn57
01-15-2010, 09:20 AM
The mention of ND possibly coming to Hamden has my mouth watering. No question I'd be in CT for that in a heartbeat.

Red Cloud
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM

SCSU comes east almost every year.

at Clarkson in 07-08
Catamount Cup in 06-07
at Colgate in 05-06
at Princeton/Yale in 04-05
at RPI in 03-04

:confused: