PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

starlessixisky
12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
I agree with wonger... compared to their last 3 games last night was a vast improvement. We're still on top of the ECAC and are 13-4-1 overall... hardly the mark of a bad team. It'll be interesting to see how they respond against Princeton.

A win last night would have been nice but December just hasn't been our month. The magic will start again come January... ;)

Let's just hope the second half of the season doesn't turn out like their inaugaral ECAC year. On paper, we looked horrible, but if you look at a lot of those scores, many of our losses were by late goals by the opponent (such as cornell with .2 seconds left to break a tie), and our record didn't nearly reflect how we played.
We could be the best team in the league, heck, in the nation, but it only matters if we can get W's on the scoresheet. So hopefully the new year will bring some new luck for us to get more opportunities.

It seems that a lot of teams are just learning to shut us down. As Skate pointed out, Harvard came out fast and physical, not quite what the bobcats expected. For the first few weeks of the season, teams were expecting us to be horrible and not play very well, so maybe that allowed us to get our jump start, but as we climbed in the polls, everyone realized that we are a team to be reckoned with. Harvard's defense really reflected Brown's defense. A ton of blocked shots and getting nothing near the net. Now Q needs to figure out a way around that it seems.

GoQ!
12-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Princeton upset Cornell. Fasten your seatbelts boys. Monday's game could be interesting.

Go Q!

ZYanksRule
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
http://www.republican-eagle.com/event/article/id/63751/

Nice story on Reid Cashman.

For those of you who weren't here when Reid was here, he's the best player in Quinnipiac Ice Hockey history on the ice.

And off the ice, he was the best ambassador the program has ever had, too. Just a great person, and a fantastic player.

allnightwong
01-03-2010, 09:04 AM
http://www.republican-eagle.com/event/article/id/63751/

Nice story on Reid Cashman.

For those of you who weren't here when Reid was here, he's the best player in Quinnipiac Ice Hockey history on the ice.

And off the ice, he was the best ambassador the program has ever had, too. Just a great person, and a fantastic player.

Thanks for posting that Yanks. Reid sure was one of those program transformers. With a program in its D-1 and then ECAC infancy he was a leader and a face that allowed Quinnipiac to thrive in those earlier years. I'd like to see Quinnipiac bring him back for some sort of honoring. We've been blessed with some very talented players in more recent memory but in my opinion no one matches what Reid brought to the ice and the locker room.

It can be argued that 2 of his 4 seasons were played while in Atlantic Hockey so it may have been easier for him to thrive in that atmosphere. However, his great play was elevated to an even higher level his final 2 years.

It has been interesting to me that since his graduation there has not been a freshman coming in and taking his number 21. I hope this has been intentional. It'd be nice to see a pioneer's number hung up in the rafters. He may not end up in the NHL and will most likely not end up being the most successful professional hockey player to come out of the Q. But he was/is one of the main reasons we are where we are today.

ZYanksRule
01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for posting that Yanks. Reid sure was one of those program transformers. With a program in its D-1 and then ECAC infancy he was a leader and a face that allowed Quinnipiac to thrive in those earlier years. I'd like to see Quinnipiac bring him back for some sort of honoring. We've been blessed with some very talented players in more recent memory but in my opinion no one matches what Reid brought to the ice and the locker room.

It can be argued that 2 of his 4 seasons were played while in Atlantic Hockey so it may have been easier for him to thrive in that atmosphere. However, his great play was elevated to an even higher level his final 2 years.

It has been interesting to me that since his graduation there has not been a freshman coming in and taking his number 21. I hope this has been intentional. It'd be nice to see a pioneer's number hung up in the rafters. He may not end up in the NHL and will most likely not end up being the most successful professional hockey player to come out of the Q. But he was/is one of the main reasons we are where we are today.

I would assume he'll have his number retired, and the only thing keeping the ceremony away is that he's playing professionally and they can't get him back because the AHL plays most of its games on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

MarkEagleUSA
01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Just spotted this (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/20091221wrapping_up_some_early_surprises/) over in the Harvard thread...

Outdoor bowling

The Herald has learned that officials from Quinnipiac and Yale are sort of “daydreaming,” as one insider put it, about an idea to hold an outdoor hockey event at the Yale Bowl in New Haven, Conn.

One suggestion would be to have Harvard play Yale and Quinnipiac play UConn in a men’s and women’s doubleheader. Sources say it would cost between $250,000 and $300,000 to erect the temporary rink inside the cavernous Yale Bowl. Stay tuned.

ZYanksRule
01-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Just spotted this (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/20091221wrapping_up_some_early_surprises/) over in the Harvard thread...

Wow...

My thoughts are that the Yale Bowl is way too big for an event like this -- it's a 65,000 seat stadium. Bridgeport's baseball stadium (5,500) would provide a good outdoor game, and would probably sell out for an event like this.

But the worst thing they could do is have it at the Yale Bowl and only have 10,000 fans show up... yes, that's a ton of fans, but it would seem empty in there.

MarkEagleUSA
01-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Bridgeport's baseball stadium (5,500) would provide a good outdoor game, and would probably sell out for an event like this.Way too small, no?

and only have 10,000 fans show up...Yeah, but after you add in the Yale and Harvard fans... :D

ZYanksRule
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Way too small, no?

Yeah, but after you add in the Yale and Harvard fans... :D

I'd rather a game that's sold out than a game that looks empty. IF it's too small, that means demand will exceed supply, and that always increases buzz.

allnightwong
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
The way I read that article made it seem that there would be a men's game between Yale and Harvard and a women's game between Quinnipiac and Uconn.

I believe Mark could attest to the fact that women's hockey is horrendous and it would be quite a let down that such an event would take place and our women's team would represent us.

MarkEagleUSA
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd rather a game that's sold out than a game that looks empty. IF it's too small, that means demand will exceed supply, and that always increases buzz.I agree but in the case of an outdoor game, 5,500 wouldn't cover the costs so there's no incentive.

This whole idea has to be a pipe dream. Just because the NHL's outdoor efforts have been popular doesn't mean that D1 hockey can do the same thing. It's a gimmick at best. Sure, the upcoming BU/BC game is getting a lot of press, but look at the history those programs have. Sure, anything Yale/Harvard does is a rivalry, but let's be honest here... I just don't see the point.

Now, if you want to do the ECAC championship weekend outdoors at the Bowl, I might be first in line for tickets! :D

The way I read that article made it seem that there would be a men's game between Yale and Harvard and a women's game between Quinnipiac and Uconn.I read it the same way. I don't know about UConn, but the 13 QU fans that go to women's games at the Bank might get really lonely in the Bowl. :rolleyes:

I believe Mark could attest to the fact that women's hockey is horrendous and it would be quite a let down that such an event would take place and our women's team would represent us.To be fair I haven't seen a lot of women's hockey, but it's a vastly different game from the men's. For example, I was at the ECAC vs. USA game today... I could only manage 2 periods before leaving (hopefully the hockey gods will forgive me) because the game is way too slow (even though the US women were really good). I just can't see a QU vs. UConn women's game being anywhere near as good.

MarkEagleUSA
01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
A tough loss at Harvard dropped us to 12th in the [url=http://www.uscho.com/rankings/]USCHO poll[/quote].

A tough month of January begins tonight at Princeton. I hope what happened in Cambridge last week motivates the team this week. While Princeton has struggled, anything's possible so the Bobcats need to come out swinging. Bring back that intensity they had early on.

I'll take Q tonight 4-1 over the Tigers.

Go Q!

allnightwong
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
3-2 Q! Screw the rankings, just win some games...yeah I said it.

MarkEagleUSA
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Screw the rankings, just win some games...<applauds> Do the latter and the former takes care of itself! :cool:

yeah I said it:D

MarkEagleUSA
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
just win some games...Win some road games... :mad:

What is wrong here? Why can't we seem to win anything on the road lately?

From what I could see on the Princeton video feed, we were terrible for the first 2 periods. No D, inability to clear the zone, and no sustained offensive pressure. They picked it up a bit in the 3rd but it wasn't enough.

I also think it's time to sit Clarke. He gave up 2 real soft goals tonight and it looked like he was just plain beat on the OT winner. Yeah, the D was bad in front of him but geez... steal one once in a while (where have we heard that before?).

The only good thing from tonight was the fact that they battled back from 3-1 to tie. All for naught with the OT loss but at least they hung in there.

I know, I'm rambling now, but this team has got to do something to get things heading in the right direction. Some tough, tough competition heading to the Bank over the next 3 weeks. Time to go back to what we were doing early on.

MCL298
01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
What is going on with this team???

i agree, it's time to sit Clarke. He is back to being inconsistent.

This is a very tough month for the bobcats. it can make or break our season, sink or swim.

Right now i'm officially worried.

It's time to get it together or instead of being the biggest surprise we'll be the biggest fluke.

allnightwong
01-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Tough loss especially after coming back to tie it at 3. We are still undefeated at home so maybe that homecooking will do the team some good. Good to see Russ Goodman getting some action coming off a knee injury, from what it sounded like he was a physical presence...granted this was coming from Kotsy.

MarkEagleUSA
01-05-2010, 06:00 AM
It's time to get it togetherThat's the key word... together. They seem to have lost a bit of the cohesiveness that they had early on. I'm not saying they've reverted to selfish play, but it does appears that a few of the guys are pressing to hard and trying to do it all. Sometimes you need that, most times it hasn't worked. Their stick handling has faltered a bit, the passes aren't crisp and lot's of pucks are getting bobbled.

Clarke appears to be struggling just a bit. I won't pin this downturn all on him but he's making mistakes just like the rest of the team. I seriously think he's been overplayed a little. We have 2 other supposedly quality goalies and I think we need to see what they can do.

I'm trying really hard to not over analyze things. It's just that for as good as they started and played through November, it's like they've done a 180 and are heading the other way.

My confidence going into this coming weekend took a huge hit last night. :(

MCL298
01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Clarke has been overplayed. I see no reason why he should start both games this weekend. i really don't think he deserves it. like you said Mark, we have these supposedly great recruits, lets see what they have. I would start either Hartzell or Cadieux Friday. hopefully light it will fire under Clarke

I feel like if Clarke was Fisher he would have been sitting a long time ago. Rand had Fisher on a short leash last season. btw, any update on Fisher? is is playing? working?

Quinn57
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
It was always going to be hard to sustain the pace we had out of the gate. With so many freshmen playing college hockey for the first time, its not surprising if they've hit a wall of sorts. Toss in a game at an arena thats mostly dead quiet and you've got yourself a winter break loss away to Princeton.

Now that we're starting to face some teams for the second time, its just going to be that much harder. No one's going to surprised by what the freshman can do, they've all read the headlines. We're playing games with targets on our backs given the high praise and rankings and it looks like this half of the season could be a lot more telling that than the first.

Not impossible to regain the mojo we had at the start of the season but it'll take some work. I'm guessing that either way, we'll learn what kind of character this team has very soon.