PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

allnightwong
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
To MinniQUFan:

Thanks for the nhl.com article on QU hockey. Maybe a year or so from now Zach Hansen could be the first QU player in the NHL.

Yeah, god knows we have enough patrolling the ECHL and AHL. I've been doing my best to keep up to date with those guys. Bates seems to be steadily productive. Leitch keeps getting shipped around. Marshall can't seem to find the scoresheet consistently enough. Sorty and Henny both seem to be adequate minor league players but probably never anything more. And sadly, it seems that Cash may be another minor league lifer, as he is getting older and playing time at the AHL level is not coming easily.

So, with that said, it'd be nice to see Zach do well at the next level. I'd like to say the same for the likes of Wonger, Lampe and JMB but like the aforementioned players can attest to its not easy cracking the NHL code.

But I do think we will see a Bobcat skate in the NHL within the next 4-5 years, I just couldn't begin to predict who it'll be.

MSchvatz44
12-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, god knows we have enough patrolling the ECHL and AHL. I've been doing my best to keep up to date with those guys. Bates seems to be steadily productive. Leitch keeps getting shipped around. Marshall can't seem to find the scoresheet consistently enough. Sorty and Henny both seem to be adequate minor league players but probably never anything more. And sadly, it seems that Cash may be another minor league lifer, as he is getting older and playing time at the AHL level is not coming easily.

So, with that said, it'd be nice to see Zach do well at the next level. I'd like to say the same for the likes of Wonger, Lampe and JMB but like the aforementioned players can attest to its not easy cracking the NHL code.

But I do think we will see a Bobcat skate in the NHL within the next 4-5 years, I just couldn't begin to predict who it'll be.
that right there would be another thing that would do wonders for the program here, as well as the fanbase. i know it sounds obvious, but if the real nhl fans see than name Quinnipiac connected with a nhl player, the program's name spreads.

it would be great to start to see consistent success from our players past QU, but as we all know, that is much easier said than done.

MarkEagleUSA
12-25-2009, 12:43 AM
But I do think we will see a Bobcat skate in the NHL within the next 4-5 years, I just couldn't begin to predict who it'll be.Wong probably has the best chance of our seniors, though I don't think he has the size or speed for the NHL. From the current team I'd say Jeremy Langlois has the best overall shot.

ZYanksRule
12-25-2009, 03:30 PM
that right there would be another thing that would do wonders for the program here, as well as the fanbase. i know it sounds obvious, but if the real nhl fans see than name Quinnipiac connected with a nhl player, the program's name spreads.

it would be great to start to see consistent success from our players past QU, but as we all know, that is much easier said than done.

How many players do you see playing in the NHL right now make you immediately think: "Oh yeah, that guy went to Cornell!"

I mean, I have a few in my head, but that's cause I'm a college hockey fan and I look out for them. I just don't think most NHL fans do. I think it'll do wonders for us inside hockey circles and inside the QU fanbase, but as for spreading the word of QU, I'm just not so sure...

MSchvatz44
12-25-2009, 05:07 PM
How many players do you see playing in the NHL right now make you immediately think: "Oh yeah, that guy went to Cornell!"

I mean, I have a few in my head, but that's cause I'm a college hockey fan and I look out for them. I just don't think most NHL fans do. I think it'll do wonders for us inside hockey circles and inside the QU fanbase, but as for spreading the word of QU, I'm just not so sure...

i understand where you are coming from with this, but i think i am going to have to disagree.

If lineups are read on TV, then often times the previous team/previous school will appear with the name. anything this program can get to get their name out is a positive. if a casual, or even a serious hockey fan notices that a player graduated from Quinnipiac, the name will be getting out. then, maybe next time that person hears the name Quinnipiac, instead of shrugging it off ignorantly, they will stop and think "hmm, Brandon Wong graduated from QU". the name begins to spread that way.

Quinn57
12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
That was a solid article!

Zach Hansen joins the ranks of underappreciated QU players. Or at least ones that fly somewhat under the radar. I feel like Henningson stepped out of Reid's shadow with the help of the captain's C. Zach's had to carry a big load, anchoring a young defense and running a heavily depended upon powerplay.

If you told me that he'd be the best pro prospect we had back when he was a freshman, I wouldn't have believed you.

allnightwong
12-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Get your picks in for the Quinnipiac salary cap/fantasy league. Need to get it in by tomorrow's game for it to count this week.

allnightwong
12-28-2009, 08:49 AM
We will be heading up to Cambridge tomorrow. My first trip back there since that wacky series a couple years ago (11-0 L, 7-4 W, 3-1 L). With two big conference road tilts coming up, I think it's important that the boys gets back to doing what was so successful for them earlier in the season. The intensity level after the Yale/Brown weekend was extremely low. We witnessed it first hand at HC and at home against AIC. Luckily AIC is just awful, so we handily beat them, but the final score was not indicative of how the team played.

That being said, we are still ranked in the top 10 and are 13-3-1, who would've thunk it. I think the main story lines heading into the second half of the season have to be the exit of Brett Dickinson, the return of a couple injured D-men and how will this freshman deep team deal with a long final couple months of the season, hopefully the winter break gave them a much needed breather.

I for one will deeply miss Dicky. He played hard throughout the first half of the season and became a somewhat unheralded, stalwart presence at the blue line. I think getting Zack Currie and Sami Liimatainen back will help with the absence. Currie impressed early with his play and looked down right filthy in his roofjob goal against SLU earlier. Hopefully he turns the Zach/k's into a triple threat and Sami brings in some veteran leadership.

Here's to a equally great second half complete with no injuries, sell-out crowds, blue road jerseys, trouncing Yale on senior night, a first round bye, hanging out in Albany during its swan-song, and getting to the NCAAs for the first time since '02.

See ya in Cambridge.

MarkEagleUSA
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
With two big conference road tilts coming up, I think it's important that the boys gets back to doing what was so successful for them earlier in the season. The intensity level after the Yale/Brown weekend was extremely low.It's critical that they get the intensity back up. These next 2 games are going to be telling signs of what the rest of the season holds.

That being said, we are still ranked in the top 10 and are 13-3-1, who would've thunk it.It's got to be better than anyone could have imagined. A pleasant surprise to say the least. If the 2nd half is as good as the first... wow! :cool:

I for one will deeply miss Dicky. He played hard throughout the first half of the season and became a somewhat unheralded, stalwart presence at the blue line.I don't think any of us thought we'd be saying these things about Brett. He was a difference maker during the 1st half and will be greatly missed. Job well done, Brett!

Here's to a equally great second half complete with no injuries, sell-out crowds, blue road jerseys, trouncing Yale on senior night, a first round bye, hanging out in Albany during its swan-song, and getting to the NCAAs for the first time since '02.You forgot bar stools, and a partridge in a pear tree! :D

See ya in Cambridge.I'm still workin' on it...:eek:

MSchvatz44
12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
We will be heading up to Cambridge tomorrow. My first trip back there since that wacky series a couple years ago (11-0 L, 7-4 W, 3-1 L). With two big conference road tilts coming up, I think it's important that the boys gets back to doing what was so successful for them earlier in the season. The intensity level after the Yale/Brown weekend was extremely low. We witnessed it first hand at HC and at home against AIC. Luckily AIC is just awful, so we handily beat them, but the final score was not indicative of how the team played.

That being said, we are still ranked in the top 10 and are 13-3-1, who would've thunk it. I think the main story lines heading into the second half of the season have to be the exit of Brett Dickinson, the return of a couple injured D-men and how will this freshman deep team deal with a long final couple months of the season, hopefully the winter break gave them a much needed breather.

I for one will deeply miss Dicky. He played hard throughout the first half of the season and became a somewhat unheralded, stalwart presence at the blue line. I think getting Zack Currie and Sami Liimatainen back will help with the absence. Currie impressed early with his play and looked down right filthy in his roofjob goal against SLU earlier. Hopefully he turns the Zach/k's into a triple threat and Sami brings in some veteran leadership.

Here's to a equally great second half complete with no injuries, sell-out crowds, blue road jerseys, trouncing Yale on senior night, a first round bye, hanging out in Albany during its swan-song, and getting to the NCAAs for the first time since '02.

See ya in Cambridge.
great post allnightwong, it should be a lot of fun watching this team over the second half of the year.

me and a couple of my friends are actually heading up to the harvard game tomorrow night, so hopefully there will be a decent amount of QU fans there to help us cheer on our bobcats!

GoQ!
12-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Don't say goodbye to Dickie just yet. Turns out he can play a few more games, likely the Harvard, Princeton, Union and RPI games, possibly including the two against St. Cloud. His presence on D will help out as the guys get the second half of this season going.

I'll miss the Harvard game tonight but will be at the Princeton game next Monday with buddies to help with cheerleading.

Go Q!

ZYanksRule
12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Don't say goodbye to Dickie just yet. Turns out he can play a few more games, likely the Harvard, Princeton, Union and RPI games, possibly including the two against St. Cloud. His presence on D will help out as the guys get the second half of this season going.

I'll miss the Harvard game tonight but will be at the Princeton game next Monday with buddies to help with cheerleading.

Go Q!

Is the rule that he can play until the second semester starts?

ZYanksRule
12-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Was that *thud* we all heard a few weeks ago the Bobcats crashing back down to earth, or is this just a losing streak that everyone has at some point in a season?

MSchvatz44
12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
very poor effort out of the bobcats tonight. it would have been nice to see them come out of the gate with a little more intensity, but harvard did outplay them tonight. its unfortunate, because this is definitely not a game that QU wanted to lose.

this loss will make people think that the beginning of the season for the bobcats might not have been indicative of the kind of team they are. i am still optimistic that they are a very solid team that has a good shot at taking the ECAC, but they are not the powerhouse that a lot of us were hoping they would be.

MarkEagleUSA
12-30-2009, 04:48 AM
very poor effort out of the bobcats tonight. it would have been nice to see them come out of the gate with a little more intensity, but harvard did outplay them tonight. its unfortunate, because this is definitely not a game that QU wanted to lose.Very poor is a bit harsh... and I wouldn't say Harvard outplayed us after the 1st. The difference was Richter having a big game. We outshot them but weren't getting quality chances and not many second looks. The 3rd was played almost entirely in the Crimson zone. Other than the 1st I thought we outplayed them but didn't get the breaks.

Maybe I'll post more later when (if?) I warm up! It was almost as cold inside of Bright as it was outside last night! :eek:

MinniQUFan
12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Very poor is a bit harsh... and I wouldn't say Harvard outplayed us after the 1st. The difference was Richter having a big game. We outshot them but weren't getting quality chances and not many second looks. The 3rd was played almost entirely in the Crimson zone. Other than the 1st I thought we outplayed them but didn't get the breaks.

Maybe I'll post more later when (if?) I warm up! It was almost as cold inside of Bright as it was outside last night! :eek:

I agree with you Mark... felt QU took control of the game in the second and really outplayed Harvard in the third. Richter had a huge night. That was their most encouraging loss of the season I'd say... though there aren't many to choose from (yet). :rolleyes:

GoQ!
12-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Is the rule that he can play until the second semester starts?

Apparently it has something to do with when the semester either started or ended in PA before he came here.

Tough game last night. That happens. The sky is not falling. They'll regroup.

Go Q!

Skate79
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM
You can't begin to imagine what last night's game did for the Crimson. It was HUGE. Not to say that it will result in a long winning streak but from a confidence perspective, it was big.

I agree that Q-Pac took over midway through the second and really asserted themselves in the third. We had major problems getting the puck out of our zone in the final stanza. I think you guys had a number of close in chances but our D somehow found a way to either block a shot or clear a rebound. You run some nice set plays and your breakouts are clean.

I actually thought the first period was a bit closer than you think due to the fact that Harvard came out skating hard and played physical which I think caught Q by surprise. The goal came off a hard carom off the boards which doesn't normally happen at Bright.

allnightwong
12-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I think you guys had a number of close in chances but our D somehow found a way to either block a shot or clear a rebound. You run some nice set plays and your breakouts are clean.

It seemed that way too many shots were being deflected or blocked. More than a few times the puck seemed to trickle just wide, but that's the way it happens sometimes. Richter played very well and didn't allow any fat rebounds. Anything that was put on was directed away with great ease. I would venture to guess the shot count was much higher than the shot on goal count given the amount of clever sticks getting in the way and brave Crimson skaters helping aid in the deflections.

Quinnipiac dominated play in the third, but it shouldn't take being down to play that way. They skated better in the first and much better in the second than they did against Brown/HC/AIC. But they need to be able to get more shots on net. More point work may help, it seemed like way to much recycling behind the net where if the puck went to a players off hand they had trouble cleanly getting the puck back and it was tied up. The point men were calling for the puck all night.

Harvard played very well and deserved the win. Great turnout by the QU faithful, including a bunch of vocal parents of the players. Regroup come out on Monday and beat them Tigers.

MarkEagleUSA
12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Tough game last night. That happens. The sky is not falling. They'll regroup.

Quinnipiac dominated play in the third, but it shouldn't take being down to play that way. They skated better in the first and much better in the second than they did against Brown/HC/AIC.

Regroup come out on Monday and beat them Tigers.I agree with wonger... compared to their last 3 games last night was a vast improvement. We're still on top of the ECAC and are 13-4-1 overall... hardly the mark of a bad team. It'll be interesting to see how they respond against Princeton.

A win last night would have been nice but December just hasn't been our month. The magic will start again come January... ;)