This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

It's great to see some recognition in the polls this week!
    As Mark said, let's keep this momentum up and this weekend will be a true test!
    I think QU has figured out a lot of the slip ups that were messing us up in the beginning of the season, and now it's time to see if we can go on the road and keep up the good work.
    The one thing I will say still needs improvement is Clarke holding on to the puck. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Dartmouth's two goals on Saturday night were from rebounds off of Clarke. That's the one thing that has always killed the Bobcats and what destroyed Fisher last year I think.
    If we can improve that, and keep up everything else, we'll be a pretty difficult team to beat in my opinion
    And we can still work on a few less penalties too
    Let's go Q!

Win or Lose, I'm still a Bobcat

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
      Plus, we'll be wanting to erase the sting of last March's 3-game series.
      Three of the most agonizing days of my life!!! I just have one word for you 'Gate fans: Brandon Wong!

Should be a good weekend/test for both teams.
      We've matched up well the last few years; I don't expect anything different this time.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
      Northeast Regional:
      West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        Three of the most agonizing days of my life!!! I just have one word for you 'Gate fans: Brandon Wong!
        Technically that's two words

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
          Technically that's two words
          Details, details... They know what I mean!
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          Northeast Regional:

Comment

Great weekend. Will have more in a sec. But Mark's right.

He's Brandon Wong and he hates Reds of all kinds.

Comment

I'm almost certain my daughter and I will be going to Ingalls tomorrow night to scout... er, watch UMass and the Eli's.

I figured it was a good excuse to go watch college hockey live since it's an away weekend for the Bobcats and I'm NOT going to central NY like I had hoped!
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              Northeast Regional:

Comment

1. Friday's crowd at the Sports Center was top notch. Won't slip into hyperbole but I was happy w/ the student section support. They're far from a traditional hockey crowd (see trying constantly to start "the wave" and the biggest cheers of the weekend being for Party in the USA) but hopefully the team's success will keep them coming back and allow them to become more involved with the on ice product.

Saturday's crowd sucked. This upset me until I went to a friend's house after the game and talked to other students who were quick to remind me that everyone's lives don't revolve around sport. Touche.

2. This is a quality team. They have two lines that can score and a line that is really tough to play against. The forecheck and backcheck are strong and effective. The powerplay has real chemistry with puck movement that harkens back to a unit circa 2006. The penalty kill is relentless and shotblocking, a hallmark of any recent Bobcat squad is well executed.

I thought the 4th line brought nothing to the table but with the other three it really doesn't have to.

3. Eric Lampe. My goodness. Great to see him make such a leap. Was resigned to him always being an energy line/special teams star like Holt but I'm glad to see him converting his chances and creating opportunities for others. Every time he's on the ice he looks a threat.

4. The defense. I'm not sure I can name more than four of them but they're holding their own. I had to text another buddy at the game to make sure I understood that Zach Hansen is the No. 1 D now. Boy I'm old.

5. Sticking with this. Can we give the numbers of the seniors one year of "retirement". I was watching Saturday with two fellow alums who were continually confused by defensemen wearing the No. 2 and No. 4. Though if this doesn't work at least I'll still be able to make "You mean to tell me they didn't retire Dan Lefort's number?" comments.

6. How about Danny Clark huh? Two solid performances this weekend. Doubt anyone is seeing time in net any time soon unless he falters big time. Though I think starlesssixty is spot on when he says he needs to control the puck better.

7. Louie LeBlanc is impressive. Sorry Mark, but I thought he was the most impressive Crimson (not saying much) on the ice on Friday. If anything, fault his team for holding him back. I'm betting right now he's going to go and make more of an impact for Montreal than Nash does for Edmonton.

8. If I had to get a jersey w/ a printing on the back I think it would be in the following order- Zurvinski, Wong, Lampe, anybody else.

9. Credit where credit is due. I've been of the thought that Rand is blindly defended by some on here (mostly due to likely connections w/ the athletic department, no names mentioned) despite times where he is not getting the most out of his talent and annual long stretches where the team loses focus, both chief responsibilities of a coach.

This year however the team is outstaningly coached. For a team so young, its amazing how often they find themselves in the right positions at the right times. This is such an underrated part of the game. Maybe it's easier for him to mold young talent initially as freshmen, remember perhaps our biggest years since ECAC came w/ huge classes. Then again Lampe's development is a prime example that he's getting more out of upperclassmen as well. In any event, I haven't heard much praise for him in the short season and think he deserves a lot.

10. The great coaching job is that much more important because I'm not seeing a ton of outright skill on the team. Obviously Wong is there, Zurvinski showed some class, I think it will come with Langlois but outside of that its mostly guys that work hard and who you'd never think would be scoring a ton. Now there's nothing wrong with this but the coaching, scouting and gameplan will have to hit the mark each practice and each game for the team to keep up the current pace. Factor in the obvious point where freshmen tend to hit the wall with the newfound rigor of a new league and there are still several mountains to climb for this club.

But for right now, there's a lot to be excited about in Hamden.

Comment

My goodness that was long. My apologies.

Comment

They're far from a traditional hockey crowd (see trying constantly to start "the wave" and the biggest cheers of the weekend being for Party in the USA)

To be honest I have never seen anything like that in my life. The entire student section including all the men were going CRAZY to Miley Cyrus. I honestly felt like I was at her concert, I'm as big of fan as Miley as the next guy but that was absurd. IF the crowd is going to act like that everytime that song comes out the time might as well come out to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRoz View Post
                      They're far from a traditional hockey crowd (see trying constantly to start "the wave" and the biggest cheers of the weekend being for Party in the USA)

To be honest I have never seen anything like that in my life. The entire student section including all the men were going CRAZY to Miley Cyrus. I honestly felt like I was at her concert, I'm as big of fan as Miley as the next guy but that was absurd. IF the crowd is going to act like that everytime that song comes out the time might as well come out to it.

If they want to dance to Party in the USA and start the wave I don't really care much... it means they are at the game for a change. Saturday's game was weak comparitively to Friday night, but it was still far larger than any game in the past two years (probably since the first couple games when the rink opened). AND they're staying for almost the entire game... that was unheard of until this season.

They are slowly starting to get the idea of what a hockey crowd is, just given them some time. Most of them didn't know we had a rink until this season.
                      Quinnipiac University 2002-2006
                      The Northford years

Comment

Now if only a couple bodies can show up at the women's games... who aren't doing half bad this season either. I can count the people in the rink for those games.

Oh well, hopefully it will eventually filter across.
                        Quinnipiac University 2002-2006
                        The Northford years

Comment

Ill most likely be joining you tomorrow @ Ingalls Mark. Should be a good game. Now, the question is whether or not to wear my jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                            Now, the question is whether or not to wear my jersey.
                            Nah... mine's staying safe in the closet. They will be able to tell who I root for though!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten at QU View Post
                              it means they are at the game for a change
                              They are slowly starting to get the idea of what a hockey crowd is
                              I agree. Getting them there has been the hard part. If we can keep 'em coming, we can work on the other stuff!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Quinn57 and Roz, I wish I could explain the obsession with Party in the USA but as a student myself, I don't get it either. I was very upset that the biggest stir out of the crowd was with that song. The fact that the guys were doing it too probably had a bit to do with some illegal consumption that goes on before games...

Wonger, don't wear the jersey. you don't want to ruin the luck =P

kitten, the women's games have always had a lack of support. It's seen with women's basketball as well, even when the women outperformed the men two years ago, nobody would come to games. It's sad, but maybe with the improvement of the women's hockey team this year they'll get a little bit more support!
                                Let's go Q!

Win or Lose, I'm still a Bobcat

Comment

Working...
                                X