X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
    When you outshoot a team by 30 shots it's hard to say we were outplayed. We had really really poor goaltending.
    By outplayed I meant that it sounded like RMU wanted it more. They took advantage of their opportunities while we squandered several (especially the PP). And, according to Rand in the post-game, we had some really bad defensive play out front.

RMU had outstanding goaltending.
    I don't want to hear the name Eric Levine for a while...

That being said, I put the loss mainly on Clarke's shoulders. He set the tone for the game and handed the rest of the Bobcats the shovel to dig themselves out of the hole that he created.
    Listening last night I couldn't help but think back to last years Yale game where Clarke put us in a big hole but we battled back to tie the game. Unfortunately, it seems Clarke runs hot and cold.

use this loss as a wakeup call
    As painfull as last night was, they're still off to a really good start. I'm sure they'll be ready come Friday.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

As impressive as the Ohio State sweep was this game sort of takes the taste out of my mouth as far as good starts go. Along with solid freshman play and balanced scoring, spectacular goaltending was the main reason for excitement. Eight goals on 33 shots? Our top two goalies giving up 4 each on 11 and 14 shots? To a team that had trouble scoring goals before we came in? I agree Cadieux gets a game this weekend, hard to stick him behind either guy after that.

Not sure the PP is to blame. Scoring on 30% of your PP opportunities would rank No. 1 in the NHL right now.

Looking ahead to the weekend, I think we have to go in looking to win both games. Two conference games at home against beatable opponents. Even further we have Harvard and Dartmouth coming the week following. For this team to continue on the lofty ambitious some have bestowed upon them during the first few weeks, it'd be great to go 3-1 on this homestand and set ourselves up nicely for a tough road trip to Cornell/Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn57 View Post
        Eight goals on 33 shots? Our top two goalies giving up 4 each on 11 and 14 shots?
        To be fair, there was an empty netter. So it would be 4/11 and 3/13.

Not sure the PP is to blame. Scoring on 30% of your PP opportunities would rank No. 1 in the NHL right now.
        I'm not saying it's to blame, just saying it needs work. Going into Saturdays game we only had 1 PPG. There were some key moments Saturday where a PPG would have swung the momentum which is a very big part of the game.

Looking ahead to the weekend, I think we have to go in looking to win both games. Two conference games at home against beatable opponents.
        Agreed.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        Northeast Regional:

Comment

I can't agree that we hang this loss on the goalie(s). Both goalies were played and we got the same result. I was told from a friend I had at the game that Clarke let in one softy and same for Hartzel. This was more of a defensive breakdown. After winning game 1 easily, we thought Saturday would be the same. So both the offence and the defence concentrated on scoring goals and neglected their defensive duties. The result is, it was a team effort, you can not get scored on 7 times at this level unless the team is responsible.
          So please don't hang out Clarke as of yet. Give the team a chance to pick up their duties and we will know by December who we need in net to win.

Comment

Originally posted by NEWESTBOBCATFAN View Post
            neglected their defensive duties.
            That's pretty much what Rand said in the post-game.

The result is, it was a team effort, you can not get scored on 7 times at this level unless the team is responsible.
            Unfortunately, the goalies are part of the team. They need to steal one now and then (at least that's what I heard about Fisher for the last 2 years) and keep the team in it.

I'm sure the defensive breakdowns were the root cause for all the scoring on Saturday, but if a goalie makes just one of those saves, who knows how it turns out.

Anyway, it's still way too early for any of this to really matter. I'll take the 4-1 start and move on to this weekend. Clarkson and SLU are, I think anyway, better teams than everyone was led to believe. Obviously can't take anything for granted with either one of them, but I do think they're both beatable in our barn.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by NEWESTBOBCATFAN View Post
              So please don't hang out Clarke as of yet. Give the team a chance to pick up their duties and we will know by December who we need in net to win.
              I'm not ready to hang Clarke based on his performance Saturday night alone. His mediocre performance Freshman year coupled with Saturday night is why I'm skeptical of him right now. We have seen him at his best, but his bad nights are so blatant and hard to ignore.

I'd like to see Cadieux and Hartz get the call this weekend just to see what they have. If they both fall flat on their face then we're back to square one. Give the Froshies a shot.

Comment

We have seen him at his best, but his bad nights are so blatant and hard to ignore.
                When Clarke is good, he's usually great. When he's bad, well... It's almost as if you never know what type of game he's going to have.

I'd like to see Cadieux and Hartz get the call this weekend just to see what they have.
                I'm pretty sure we know what Hartzell has. Cadieux definitely needs more opportunity. Let's also remember that they've got a goalie coach this year so I'm sure any deficencies are being worked on hard during practice.

I think Rand showed Saturday that if the going gets tough, he's going to make a change. That's a luxury he hasn't really had for a few seasons.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

On to Next weekend, looking forward to good crowds for the Clarkson and St. Lawrence games:

http://athleticsmedia.quinnipiac.edu...B_OEM_ID=17500

Comment

[QUOTE=MarkEagleUSA;4440308]When Clarke is good, he's usually great. When he's bad, well... It's almost as if you never know what type of game he's going to have.

Is Clarke starting to remind anyone of Fisher in the sense of when he's on his game he's great but he's not always consistent?

Comment

I can only think of two games where Clarke was truly great. AFA last year in the Uconn tourny and this year against the Buckeyes. He had a 19 save SO against Dartmouth last year but other than that he has not been very good. I know I'm being stubborn with this point, but I think we have two very talented Freshman that need to be seen. If they both fall flat on their faces then give Clarke another go, but for now, he falls to third on my depth chart.

Comment

Originally posted by MCL298 View Post
                        Is Clarke starting to remind anyone of Fisher in the sense of when he's on his game he's great but he's not always consistent?
                        In my mind, not even close. Bud was not as hot & cold as Clarke has been IMHO. Clarke has all the tools to be good (perhaps even great) but I honestly think he has a confidence issue. He certainly seems to get rattled very easily.

I can only think of two games where Clarke was truly great. AFA last year in the Uconn tourny and this year against the Buckeyes.
                        I can't think of any other games where Clarke stood out either. And in those 2 games he was phenominal. The game I remember Clarke most for is last year's Yale game where he got rocked.

I know I'm being stubborn with this point, but I think we have two very talented Freshman that need to be seen. If they both fall flat on their faces then give Clarke another go, but for now, he falls to third on my depth chart.
                        You? Stubborn? Nah, I've never seen that trait in you!

We started the year with Hartzell followed by Clarke at OSU. Cadieux got the Bentley game. Then we saw Hartzell followed by Clarke at RMU. That would indicate to me that we'll see Cadieux Friday against Clarkson and Hartzell Saturday against SLU. I honestly don't see Clarke getting a start this weekend. I guess we'll have to wait until the Harvard game on the 13th to see if Rand shakes up the rotation.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

We started the year with Hartzell followed by Clarke at OSU. Cadieux got the Bentley game. Then we saw Hartzell followed by Clarke at RMU. That would indicate to me that we'll see Cadieux Friday against Clarkson and Hartzell Saturday against SLU. I honestly don't see Clarke getting a start this weekend. I guess we'll have to wait until the Harvard game on the 13th to see if Rand shakes up the rotation.
                          Think this is spot on.

Comment

[/QUOTE]Is Clarke starting to remind anyone of Fisher in the sense of when he's on his game he's great but he's not always consistent?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't resist one last (I promise) shot at Bud... but I thought Fisher was playing that game after I saw the score.

Comment

With the way the college season shapes up we really don't need a three goalie rotation. There's very few, if any, weeks where we have more than two games. I like the Cadieux-Hartzell rotation, then you have Clarke on the side if someone goes down or bites it or you just need to switch it up.

Cadieux looked pretty good against Bentley for the most part. The idea of Clarke being the starter against a larger, stronger, faster Harvard team frightens me.
                              Quinnipiac University 2002-2006
                              The Northford years

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
                                I couldn't resist one last (I promise) shot at Bud...
                                There'll be more I'm sure.

but I thought Fisher was playing that game after I saw the score.
                                I kinda expected to hear that from you!
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X