PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

FredDavenport
11-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Nice TV Adv for the Harvard Dartmouth Series next weekend:

http://athleticsmedia.quinnipiac.edu//athletics/Podcasts/MensIceHockey/QU-H-D-TV.mov

QUBobcats70
11-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Great effort and results this weekend.

I have five suggestions:
1. Take fewer penalties
2. Get a new public address announcer
3. Bring back Boomer
4. Go back to throwing the free shirts from the ice
5. Add the 2008 Toyota UConn Hockey Classic Championship to the championship banner

As long as they keep winning I donít care if they donít change anything except for getting a new PA announcerÖ

allnightwong
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM

I have five suggestions:
1. Take fewer penalties
3. Bring back Boomer
5. Add the 2008 Toyota UConn Hockey Classic Championship to the championship banner

As long as they keep winning I donít care if they donít change anything except for getting a new PA announcerÖ

MarkEagle and I have talked til we are blue in the face about the banner. They had all summer to add the Uconn Championship up there. The other banner that lists appearances in the ECAC tourny needs to be updated as well as I believe we were in the tourny last year ;) . Maybe that one could be turned into ECAC semi finals appearances and simply list those seasons. The banners are gorgeous, now we just need to update them.

MarkEagleUSA
11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
1. Take fewer penalties
Always a good thing.

To be fair, several calls against us last night were questionable. :mad:

2. Get a new public address announcerYou didn't like the "day" guy yesterday? :confused:

3. Bring back BoomerI hadn't noticed he was missing. :o

Of course, that's because the action on the ice has been so good! :cool:

4. Go back to throwing the free shirts from the iceI was told there was a reason for not doing that, but can't remember what it was. :o

Apparently all promotions are going to be handled differently this year as well. I'm not sure what that all means so we'll all have to wait and see.

5. Add the 2008 Toyota UConn Hockey Classic Championship to the championship bannerNone of the banners were updated. :( Perhaps it was economics, but it would still be nice to showcase the programs accomplishments.

As long as they keep winning I donít care if they donít change anythingAgreed! :cool:

MinniQUFan
11-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Greatly looking forward to getting to my first game of the season next weekend.

Puckie14
11-08-2009, 07:05 PM

I have five suggestions:
1. Take fewer penalties
3. Bring back Boomer

Is that our new PA announcer? Jeez he's terrible. Bring back the announcer from the Bank's first season or call Hal Baird out of retirement. Even the announcer from Crackport the last couple years wasn't too bad.

In-tournament championship banners are just as bush league as ECAC Tournament Participation banners. Please get rid of those. There should only be banners for the MAAC and AHA Championships, NCAA Appearances and for making it to the ECAC Final Four.

Bring back Boomer...agreed!

Kitten at QU
11-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Always a good thing.

To be fair, several calls against us last night were questionable. :mad:

I think once we put that hard hit early in the game we weren't going to get anything. There were quite a few questionable no calls as well as the ones that were called.

Our biggest priority is to stop getting chippy after the whistle. We could have saved some brownie points but not tossing in the extra few shoves or swings after the plays were whistled dead. I understand protecting your goalie, but when the refs are already against you, you can't add any more reasons for them to hit you with minutes.

MarkEagleUSA
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Our biggest priority is to stop getting chippy after the whistle. We could have saved some brownie points but not tossing in the extra few shoves or swings after the plays were whistled dead. I understand protecting your goalie, but when the refs are already against you, you can't add any more reasons for them to hit you with minutes.Agreed. The retaliation always get caught! :mad:

MarkEagleUSA
11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
For all you poll watchers out there...

USCHO: 20th, INCH: 19th, USA Today: 27 points (19th).

Also, Dan Clarke was named ECAC Goaltender of the Week (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2009-10/Weekly_Awards/men-s_wkly_award_winners_11_09.pdf).

bbobcat
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Mook should have been player of the week.

FredDavenport
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
No respect again from the polls, but that is OK.

Long season and the only poll that is important is the top 16 picked by the NCAA in March.

Still amazes me that the NCAA picks 16 for the Tournament and the USA Today poll only has 15 in their poll. Pretty stupid and silly.

All polls should be 25, just like all other sports with similar NCAA Sponsorship Numbers (Men's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Women's Lacrosse)

For all you poll watchers out there...

USCHO: 20th, INCH: 19th, USA Today: 27 points (19th).

Also, Dan Clarke was named ECAC Goaltender of the Week (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2009-10/Weekly_Awards/men-s_wkly_award_winners_11_09.pdf).

allnightwong
11-10-2009, 06:18 AM
No respect again from the polls, but that is OK.

Long season and the only poll that is important is the top 16 picked by the NCAA in March.

Still amazes me that the NCAA picks 16 for the Tournament and the USA Today poll only has 15 in their poll. Pretty stupid and silly.

All polls should be 25, just like all other sports with similar NCAA Sponsorship Numbers (Men's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Women's Lacrosse)

Gotta love the passion Fred! I agree with ya. I was a little disappointed to see us not come in higher than 19 in any of the polls. Especially when we reached 18 already this year. Regardless, its meaningless and the team needs to focus on the task at hand which is Harvard and Dartmouth.

I also agree that the USA Today poll needs to expand how many teams it ranks. I think 20 would be fine because that's what USCHO does and does well. In a sport where theres only 58 teams it makes a little more sense to limit it to 20 I think. But I definitely agree that only ranking 15 when 16 go to the tourney is nutso.

MarkEagleUSA
11-10-2009, 08:06 AM
No respect again from the polls

I was a little disappointed to see us not come in higher than 19 in any of the polls. Especially when we reached 18 already this year.Maybe the pollsters are being cautiously optimistic? :rolleyes:

Let's be honest, other than OSU we really haven't yet played anyone better than us. Clarkson and SLU are similar teams but not ahead of us by any stretch. That loss to RMU sticks out like a sore thumb. This weekend will be the first real test I think.

Regardless, its meaningless and the team needs to focus on the task at hand which is Harvard and Dartmouth.Without a doubt. Harvard will be hungry for sure after this past weekend. Hopefully, Rand and his staff will identify the Crimson weaknesses and exploit them come Friday. Dartmouth is no slouch either and we'll need to be equally prepared for them on Saturday.

Should be a great weekend of hockey at the Bank for sure! :cool:

Quinn57
11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Few thoughts...

1. Was not at either game, nor did I watch. That said, two quality results. I wrote here before the games that we should be striving to take both games as they were winable home conference games. Winning these types of games are what will put us in the best position for postseason success come March.

2. I wanted to join in on the opining of who I thought should be goalie last week but I think judging by the lines and the changed minds here that Clarke won that spot. Very interesting to Rand to give him back to back starts but it worked out and you tip your cap to that.

3. Hilarious to see a QU Employee have a meltdown on the USCHO Fan Forum for failing to control the flow of information.

4. Goalies on the weekend? I've got Clarke on Fri and Hartzell/Cadieux on Sat, with Hartzell getting the slight edge. Like I said before I haven't watched as much as a number of you guys so correct me if wrong here.

5. How was the student turnout on last Sat? Heard from a friend that it wasn't the best. Understand the 4p start for Parents Weekend but I can't say I'm a fan, nor would I be if I were a student.

6. Strangely I keep agreeing completely w/ things MarkEagleUSA has to say. I love poll watching but I'm not going to be upset with a (relatively) low ranking after losing in such style to Robert Morris. Also, ranking 25 teams would mean nearly half the teams would have a ranking. Is that indicative of the top teams in college hockey?

7. Making my first trip up to Hamden for some games this weekend. Think it should be a quality pair of games. Excited to see Montreal's first rounder LeBlanc on Fri (taken right before the Rangers nabbed Kreider) but would be even happier to see him flattened by one of our D-Men.

MarkEagleUSA
11-10-2009, 11:18 AM
4. Goalies on the weekend? I've got Clarke on Fri and Hartzell/Cadieux on Sat, with Hartzell getting the slight edge. Like I said before I haven't watched as much as a number of you guys so correct me if wrong here.I'm totally confused over the goalie situation. :eek: Rand really threw us a curveball there. I was surprised to see Clarke Friday and again Saturday. I was even more surprised he did so well. Maybe that's why Rand is the coach and I'm just a fan? :o

IIRC, Hartzell was under the weather last weekend so whether he gets any time probably depends on how he's recovered. I didn't hear anything about Cadieux so can't say what his status might be.

I honestly don't know what Rand might do. I want to say he goes with Clarke who seems to have the hot hand right now.

5. How was the student turnout on last Sat? Heard from a friend that it wasn't the best.Not as good as Friday, but still decent I thought. The real problem was they were just too quiet.

6. Strangely I keep agreeing completely w/ things MarkEagleUSA has to say.They might have something to help with that! :eek: ;)

7. Making my first trip up to Hamden for some games this weekend.We'll leave the light on for ya...

Excited to see Montreal's first rounder LeBlanc on Fri (taken right before the Rangers nabbed Kreider) but would be even happier to see him flattened by one of our D-Men.I can think of a few who might be up to the task! ;)

starlessixisky
11-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I feel that this weekend will set the tone for the rest of the season.
OSU was our opener, so obviously the boys were excited to get out there and have a good time. RMU was a bit of an upset with the loss, but again, still figuring out lines and our best goaltender.
Last weekend was the conference opener, which again, the team was very excited for, the games are finally really counting for something more than the top win percentage. Given that Harvard is a decent rival of ours and is a very physically dominating team, Friday night will be a strong indication of how QU will play the rest of the year I think. Dartmouth not so much only because we tend to play very strongly against them, at least from what I can recall of prior years without checking any stats, but if we can come off 2-0 this weekend, I believe the team and us fans can gain some confidence that this year will be good (pending no major injuries which hopefully the strength coach has helped us to prevent :D )
Q has been playing strong so far, let's just keep it up and keep it going!

As MarkEagle said, I was surprised to see Clarke last weekend, both nights. I think it's great Rand has given him the chance to get out there though.

We'll see what Friday has to bring.

FredDavenport
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
set your Tivo's now!

QU's will own NESN HD on Friday (11/13)

7:00PM - Debut of QU's "Bobcast Unleashed HD", one of the first college athletics HD highlights shows in college hockey, if not all of D-I

then...

7:30PM - QU vs. Harvard , live from Quinnipiac's TD Bank Sports Center, sorry game will be in standard def.

http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87912&SPID=10452&DB_OEM_ID=17500&ATCLID=204821210

MinniQUFan
11-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Quinn57 touched upon it, but just wanted to agree that with there only being 50 odd D-1 hockey programs, it makes little sense to rank anymore than there already are.

FredDavenport
11-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Minni,

Thx for your support and the the support of all the fans of the Bobcats.

I strongly disagree on the number in the polls. Most all other NCAA sports (MAX, WLAX, Field Hockey, Wrestling and others) that have numbers the same as MHOK all have Nat'l polls that include 20/25. This helps promote the teams and gives the student-athletes pride in their teams.

It also allows universities who invest many dollars in the budgets for their sports to feel the investment is warranted.

The fact that the USA Hockey Poll is only 15 teams, while the NCAA invites 16 to the tournament is a joke!

Congrats (& thanks) to the USCHO for finally going from 15 to 20 in their poll a few years ago.

Go Bobcats!

redrocker
11-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Minni,

The fact that the USA Hockey Poll is only 15 teams, while the NCAA invites 16 to the tournament is a joke!

I don't understand your point here. Should the NCAA men's basketball poll be expanded from the top 25 to the top 65?