PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Clawing our way to Albany

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

MarkEagleUSA
11-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Clarkson played at least even with the Cats, if not on the scoreboard.At least even. At times, the Knights outplayed us for entire shifts, and they never let up.

Nice win for the Cats, good luck until you get to Cheel later in the season.Thanks. Good luck the rest of the way (except for February 13th).

FredDavenport
11-07-2009, 06:57 AM
It was a great game and crowd tonight!

Clarkson and Atkinson were amazing at the end and we held on for two points:

http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17500&ATCLID=204829007

Kitten at QU
11-07-2009, 08:53 AM
What did you guys at the game think of the play? From the sounds of it from the QU announcers, Clarkson played at least even with the Cats, if not on the scoreboard. Just wondering because we couldn't see the game and our radio feed didn't work either.

Nice win for the Cats, good luck until you get to Cheel later in the season. :D

I missed the first period and a half (stupid commute)... but from what I saw it was played pretty even. Clarkson had the tieing goal waved off because of a quick whistle which certainly changed the flow of the rest of the game.

Clarke was okay... there were a few rebounds/saves where he looked lost as to where the puck went. But he was helped out tremendously by some amazing defensive plays, especially late in the game.

Once again this game displayed the Major size disadvantage we have in the league. But we were able to keep the pace fast enough to offset it some. It certainly doesn't bode too well for when we go up against the big AND fast teams.

Kitten at QU
11-07-2009, 08:55 AM
On a side note.... I have two extra for this afternoon if someone needs them. Let me know... I"ll be checking on here a couple times later when I'm bored in class.

NEWESTBOBCATFAN
11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
The first 5 minutes belonged to Clarkson. Clarke made two game saving saves to keep us in. The team picked it up after that and played even the rest of the way. The difference last night was Atkinson wow! what a player. The D saved Clarke the rest of the way, he did not play well after the first 5 minutes. I have to agree with some, I think its a confidence problem. Go Bobcats!! win another today...

StayPuftMMcu
11-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Didn't get to watch the game, but I listened to it through the QU audio feed -- your play-by-play guy is pretty good, but that color guy sounds like he took a few too many pucks to the head.

Sounded like a very back-and-forth game, and I believe that having Bryan Rufenach at the point for the PP probably prevents one of those SHGs from happening - from what I understand, when Atkinson got his shorties, we were running a 5 forward 2nd unit. I also really don't understand coach's decision to start LaVeau -- he is a very capable backup, but Karpowich is a much better goaltender. Karpo was also coming off two big wins, one of which was a one-goal outing against SLU, where he played great. Why break that momentum?

The quick whistle hurt a lot, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it since Clarkson for the year is like 2-for-11 in goal / no-goal referee decisions. That's just the way it goes for us, and we expect it.

Either way, congrats Q, you found a way to win (or Atkinson did), and that's what counts.

allnightwong
11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Didn't get to watch the game, but I listened to it through the QU audio feed -- your play-by-play guy is pretty good, but that color guy sounds like he took a few too many pucks to the head.

HAHAHA Kotsy does have a way about him doesn't he?

Sorry for the late post about last night's game but you guys have pretty much summed it all up. I'm still a little sore about yet another Blackhawks shootout loss. Shootouts suck BTW.

Anyway about the game, Atkinson was great, Defense in front of Clarke was great, Clarke was average and should buy all his defensemen a steak, we have to stop taking offensive zone stupid penalties-- it didn't hurt us last night but it can in the future.

Awesome student turnout. They were loud and boisterous, inappropriate and fun. I fear what the arena would've sounded like if it was just the public and the Clarkson band.

Clarkson traveled well and with the exception of the band at times were rather inoffensive. Kudos to those who made the trek.

It will be interesting to see who's in net for Q today. I'd personally love to see Hartzell. But at this point I'll take whoever as long as the D plays equally as solid as they did last night.

See yall soon.

Go Q!

MarkEagleUSA
11-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Awesome student turnout. They were loud and boisterous, inappropriate and fun.I know I said pretty much the same thing, but this deserves repeating. The student turnout last night was fantastic. I also think it was a big factor on the ice as well. I don't care what anyone says, but the team feeds off the energy from the crowd, especially the students. Good job!

It will be interesting to see who's in net for Q today. I'd personally love to see Hartzell. But at this point I'll take whoever as long as the D plays equally as solid as they did last night.Agreed about the D. My guess is we'll see Hartzell, but at this point I really don't know what Rand will do.

Go Q!

Kitten at QU
11-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Back to back days with Clarke in between the pipes. An intreating display of confidence.

Quinny15
11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
penalties, penalties, penalties. i guess this is a good way to work on our pp and pk.

MarkEagleUSA
11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Back to back days with Clarke in between the pipes. An intreating display of confidence.Clarke was definitely up to the task tonight. Another stellar performance by the D out front, and that was without Hansen for most of the game.

Awesome PK tonight! Killed Hansen's 5 minute major (actually about 4:30) and immediately went to the PP and scored. A tremendous confidence booster for sure. The PP went 3-5 but still needs work as they had trouble setting it up.

I don't know how he didn't get a star, but I thought Zack Currie was the top dog tonight. He blocked several shots on the PK and scored his first career goal. Combined with his effort last night, he was by far the defensive star of the weeked.

For the most part I was really impressed by all the freshmen this weekend. The attitude on the ice is something I haven't seen a while. There seems to be a total commitment to teamwork and there hasn't been any blatantly selfish play.

One area that needs to be addressed is the dumb penalties. A few questionable calls tonight for sure, but we still need to do a better job staying out of the box. Luckily our PP stood tall tonight and was probably the difference in the game.

A four point weekend is always sweet, but it doesn't get any easier so they need to hunker down and get ready for Harvard and Dartmouth next week.

Nice job Q!

FredDavenport
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
pretty cool, men (2-0) and women (3-0-1) without a loss. First time since joining the ECAC, this has happened.

ZYanksRule
11-07-2009, 08:31 PM
For the first time tonight I was able to watch the video feed. Very, very impressive. Athletics is now doing multiple cameras for their online video feed. It was great.

If I may, I know Athletics people read this.... they should make the scorebug much, much smaller. That thing was huge, and takes up way too much of the screen. The switching wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good and we got some neat ice-level shots of kids coming right to the camera.

As for the team, it's so nice to see them skating their asses off for every single shift. Very proud of the work ethic tonight. Keep it up, Q!

FredDavenport
11-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Z,

Good Suggestion, I am sure the production staff will try your suggestions.

Congrats to your Empire.

ZYanksRule
11-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Z,

Good Suggestion, I am sure the production staff will try your suggestions.

Congrats to your Empire.

It's been a good month, Freddy!

allnightwong
11-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Bobcats will have their hands full with both teams. Two points would be a successful weekend imo...they might get none.

Stellar prognosticating.

ZYanksRule
11-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Stellar prognosticating.

Those naysayers are getting a taste of what our first ECAC season was like. This team really resembles that team -- tons of Freshman talent, and the boys just skated their tails off, completely flew over expectations (they were picked 12th, finished 8 or 9, were 1 game from Albany)... of course we remember the next year, when we were 18 minutes away from the NCAA's.

Quinny15
11-08-2009, 03:03 AM
of course we remember the next year, when we were 18 minutes away from the NCAA's.

That was a VERY sad day for us bobcats.

MarkEagleUSA
11-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Nice write-up (http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/08/sports/8-quinnipiac_hockey.txt) by Chip Malafronte in today's register. :cool:

I told y'all the crowd is an advantage. :p

Reese Rolheiser: “There are a lot of eyes in that crowd. It’s an unbelievable rink to play in, and last night the student section was rocking. We calmed down a bit, and that’s going to come with time.”

MarkEagleUSA
11-08-2009, 07:42 AM
As for the team, it's so nice to see them skating their asses off for every single shift. Very proud of the work ethic tonight. Keep it up, Q!You really have to see them in person to appreciate it, Z! The aura around this team is unlike anything I've seen in the last few years.

They're skating as a team each and every shift and I haven't seen any selfish play from anyone. Rand always talks about the guys buying into the systems (or not) and they certainly are thus far.

The only real weaknesses I've seen are the PP and questionable penalties. Sure, they went 3-5 last night but never really got it setup. I think it will come with time, but it's a concern.

As for the penalties, we took a few calls in the offensive zone this weekend at times when a momentum swing could have changed the games. Fortunately, the PK was again phenomenal... I think I saw more shots blocked by bodies in front this weekend than I have in 3 previous seasons combined. I'm sure there's a bunch of puck-shaped bruises this morning!