This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Kept the title bland, because I really don't know what to expect. I have a feeling about this team being good, but the fact is the defense/goaltenders are still young. IMO I think we still see a lot like we did last year. This team at times will look amazing, but I have a feeling we also will see some stretches like we did in the second half where they go into a funk. IMO I don't think they will dominate like they did in 2007-2008, still a year away from that but they will be good.

IMO they have the most balanced offense in the country and with the addition of Hartman on the backline a very balanced D core with some bruisers and play makers.

The big question still remains, Who will start in net?
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

A bump here, hawk 95 you might want to re post that link to coaches interview with Bake here as well. He said all the right things, but watching the players doing skating drills in the background brought back some bad memories of training camps lol
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Interview with Rico. One week to exhibition opener!!!

http://bit.ly/rRjVB

I agree, we'll have up's and down's. Then again, it's quite possible this team will come out dominant. Top 4 finish in the league would be nice, but it will be a very competitive league this year with NMU, OSU, Alaska, ND, Miami and Michigan likely all battling for the first round bye (not that it's been too helpful for us to use to get to Detroit for the conference finals!).

Looking forward to getting back to Goggin on the 9th and seeing some familiar faces and places. There's nothing like the season to help get you through the winter doldrums. The season always seems to go by so fast! But, here we are again.

Can't wait to get started!
      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

This thread just makes me more anxious. At least you held off until the week before.

Can't wait to be driving in to Oxford one week from tonight. I'll be at the football game against Cincinnati during the day to try to make the day go faster, though that will probably have the opposite effect. It feels somewhat bittersweet to be headed to my first game as an alumnus...
        Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
          This thread just makes me more anxious. At least you held off until the week before.

Can't wait to be driving in to Oxford one week from tonight. I'll be at the football game against Cincinnati during the day to try to make the day go faster, though that will probably have the opposite effect. It feels somewhat bittersweet to be headed to my first game as an alumnus...
          boy that game will be depressing.....

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
            Interview with Rico. One week to exhibition opener!!!

http://bit.ly/rRjVB

I agree, we'll have up's and down's. Then again, it's quite possible this team will come out dominant. Top 4 finish in the league would be nice, but it will be a very competitive league this year with NMU, OSU, Alaska, ND, Miami and Michigan likely all battling for the first round bye (not that it's been too helpful for us to use to get to Detroit for the conference finals!).

Looking forward to getting back to Goggin on the 9th and seeing some familiar faces and places. There's nothing like the season to help get you through the winter doldrums. The season always seems to go by so fast! But, here we are again.

Can't wait to get started!
            Even with the ups and downs if they dont get a first round bye this season will be a dissapointment. IMO they have established themselves as a main stay in the top for and I expect nothing less this year. I think the first goal this team should have is to win a conference tournament title.

But one thing I like from this conference and schedule Miami has is come tournament time they will be as tested as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
              Kept the title bland, because I really don't know what to expect. I have a feeling about this team being good, but the fact is the defense/goaltenders are still young. IMO I think we still see a lot like we did last year. This team at times will look amazing, but I have a feeling we also will see some stretches like we did in the second half where they go into a funk. IMO I don't think they will dominate like they did in 2007-2008, still a year away from that but they will be good.

IMO they have the most balanced offense in the country and with the addition of Hartman on the backline a very balanced D core with some bruisers and play makers.

The big question still remains, Who will start in net?
              I counted at least three "...just trying to get better every day...." in Rico's interview. He's off to a good start.

I'm always anxious to see the freshmen. I've seen Hartman, Spinnell, and Kennedy, but hard to tell what it will be like at the "next level." I hope Hartman is a steady force back there, at least in the long run. Some of Miami's d have been a little inconsistent at times. Also, Smith and McKenzie are young, so best not to have too high expectations for them this year, but despite the scoring coming back, Miami needs some freshmen contributions to add depth and take the heat off the top lines.

BandMan, let me know if you want to connect next weekend. And I'm not sure if the football game will make your day go faster.

Geez rhm, I'm disappointed in such a boring title.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                I counted at least three "...just trying to get better every day...." in Rico's interview. He's off to a good start.

I'm always anxious to see the freshmen. I've seen Hartman, Spinnell, and Kennedy, but hard to tell what it will be like at the "next level." I hope Hartman is a steady force back there, at least in the long run. Some of Miami's d have been a little inconsistent at times. Also, Smith and McKenzie are young, so best not to have too high expectations for them this year, but despite the scoring coming back, Miami needs some freshmen contributions to add depth and take the heat off the top lines.

BandMan, let me know if you want to connect next weekend. And I'm not sure if the football game will make your day go faster.

Geez rhm, I'm disappointed in such a boring title.
                I know redeagle, ive let a lot of people down with the title lol.

Im right with you on the defense. Which is why I think we will see more like what we did last year with the streakiness rather than a dominant team of 07-08. Regardless I think this team will be very good. IMO if Miami can get more contribution offensively from their defensemen it will make more of a difference than asking the freshmen to contribute a lot. Someone outside of Wideman needs to get involved in my opinion, that will open things up more through the neutral zone and allow more space for wingles, cannone, camper, and miele.

Comment

CCHA to utilize 3-point system for every game.

http://www.ccha.com/sports/m-hockey/...092809aaa.html

3 points for regulation win
                  2 points for shootout win
                  1 point for shootout loss

I get it, not sure I like it. That said, win in regulation or be certain to get the game into OT because 3-point losses will be huge. I still don't like awarding points to a "loser." You "lose the game," you shouldn't really be rewarded with anything. Two point for ANY win. Zero points for any loss keeps it all even. But, that's my opinion.
                  http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                    CCHA to utilize 3-point system for every game.

http://www.ccha.com/sports/m-hockey/...092809aaa.html

3 points for regulation win
                    2 points for shootout win
                    1 point for shootout loss

I get it, not sure I like it. That said, win in regulation or be certain to get the game into OT because 3-point losses will be huge. I still don't like awarding points to a "loser." You "lose the game," you shouldn't really be rewarded with anything. Two point for ANY win. Zero points for any loss keeps it all even. But, that's my opinion.
                    Im not sure I like the 3 point system at all. I get the one point for a shootout loss. What is the system for a ot win? When they went to a shootout after the ot you had to give a point for getting to the shootout because you got one for a tie which technically was what happened after ot. But to give 3 points for a win to me is just crazy. Just my opinion but I think they are taking this too far.

Comment

anybody know when the CCHA's media day is? I looked on the website but can't find it anywhere.

Comment

The new points system definitely made it a lot harder for the borderline teams to get a bye spot, and made it a lot easier for us, Michigan, and ND to secure ours again the for whatever year in a row.

Comment

Miami ranked #1 in USA Today poll. Lets hope we can finish.

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-h...092809aad.html

Comment

Given that we should not have shootouts at all, if you are going to have them, this makes more sense. If people like shootouts, this is a way to keep them without penalizing teams who actually win games. At least every game is worth the same number of points (3) and a shootout win is not worth the same as a *real* win. The *real* win issue and the fact that some games were worth three points and some two points last year did not make sense to me. But then again, deciding a hockey game by shootouts in any way, shape, or form does not make sense to me either.

rhm, overtime wins (a *real* win) is worth three points. Overtime loss is worth 0. I'm sure some argued for an overtime loss to be one point like a shootout loss. Could be some interesting end of game/overtime strategy. I'll have to think about that one, but a real win is now rewarded more than anything else, which is ok with me, and that was not the case last year.

By the way, it is interesting that Michigan would have been seven points ahead of Miami instead of tied last year if this system had been used. "The objective is to win the game." If you do that, you should be rewarded. Ok, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                              Given that we should not have shootouts at all, if you are going to have them, this makes more sense. If people like shootouts, this is a way to keep them without penalizing teams who actually win games. At least every game is worth the same number of points (3) and a shootout win is not worth the same as a *real* win. The *real* win issue and the fact that some games were worth three points and some two points last year did not make sense to me. But then again, deciding a hockey game by shootouts in any way, shape, or form does not make sense to me either.

rhm, overtime wins (a *real* win) is worth three points. Overtime loss is worth 0. I'm sure some argued for an overtime loss to be one point like a shootout loss. Could be some interesting end of game/overtime strategy. I'll have to think about that one, but a real win is now rewarded more than anything else, which is ok with me, and that was not the case last year.

By the way, it is interesting that Michigan would have been seven points ahead of Miami instead of tied last year if this system had been used. "The objective is to win the game." If you do that, you should be rewarded. Ok, I'll get off the soapbox now.
                              Ok yea I read that on the CCHA.com, just saw '95 post a regulation win and didn't see anything about the tie.

I get the concept of the new point system but I don't like it. However I do like the shootout, well I understand the shootout and accept it more or less. I guess there really isn't a solution that will satisfy everyone. So if this makes more people happy then im all for it.

As for the USA today poll. Redeagle will back me, it is meaningless and I actually like them putting Denver infront of us in the other two polls I have seen. For me with where this team was last year it might insult them and motivate them more, where that should be a motivator or not anything that helps is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X