X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    Definitely flying. I can get a decent flight on Delta using miles. Think about it and we'll talk.
    ok, not sure if I have enough miles. Let me know, we will figure it out.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I must have missed this score over the weekend, and I don't really know what it means, but next week's opponent, UNH, lost to RPI on Saturday night to kick off their season. From CHN...

Rensselaer 3, New Hampshire 1

CHN: Just as a couple of Hockey East teams went out to Colorado and won impressively Saturday against two WCHA teams -- likewise a pair of Capital District ECAC teams were earning impressive home wins against Hockey East teams. While Union was wrapping up a home sweep of Maine, perhaps more impressively was this win by RPI. It was UNH's first loss in a season opener in nine years. New Hampshire knew it lost key players from last year's NCAA team, but it thought it would be OK in the scoring department. Meanwhile, RPI was trying to build off some last-season momentum last year, when it nearly made the ECAC final four. Chase Polacek scored the game-winning PPG early in the third for RPI.
      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
        I must have missed this score over the weekend, and I don't really know what it means, but next week's opponent, UNH, lost to RPI on Saturday night to kick off their season. From CHN...

Rensselaer 3, New Hampshire 1

CHN: Just as a couple of Hockey East teams went out to Colorado and won impressively Saturday against two WCHA teams -- likewise a pair of Capital District ECAC teams were earning impressive home wins against Hockey East teams. While Union was wrapping up a home sweep of Maine, perhaps more impressively was this win by RPI. It was UNH's first loss in a season opener in nine years. New Hampshire knew it lost key players from last year's NCAA team, but it thought it would be OK in the scoring department. Meanwhile, RPI was trying to build off some last-season momentum last year, when it nearly made the ECAC final four. Chase Polacek scored the game-winning PPG early in the third for RPI.
        Yea that was a road game I believe, but I think they will show up and bring their A game this weekend. I have a feeling those seniors still haven't forgotten what happened in the Regionals a few years ago. I expect a hard fought series and would be very happy with a split here. Similar to the trip to Vermont last year it will be two extremely difficult games and the defense will need to be spectacular again and we will need a little more offense to earn a hard fought split.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Vermont is better than unh. The days of unh and maune being in the top of the conference are over. Unh is missing their best defencman by far. And wonder kid jvr skipped town. Rpi beat them soundly this weekend and they are a middle pack ecac club. I know its a long road trip to a hostile environment, I called a split of this series a couple months ago but if we continue to get better and get another week workong on the systems in practice a sweep isn't too out of reach

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            Vermont is better than unh. The days of unh and maune being in the top of the conference are over. Unh is missing their best defencman by far. And wonder kid jvr skipped town. Rpi beat them soundly this weekend and they are a middle pack ecac club. I know its a long road trip to a hostile environment, I called a split of this series a couple months ago but if we continue to get better and get another week workong on the systems in practice a sweep isn't too out of reach
            Never know you can gurantee we will get there A game. I still think that revenge will play a factor. However in the series thread one of their posters said this was a meaningless series and won't have a factor on the end of the season lol. Fine with me mail two in to us and we will take the pairwise points....

Comment

I'm hoping the offence gets more production this weekend we missed quite a few open nets this weekend and I'm not talking about when lee was pulled. I'm also hoping we are flying cuz I don't wanna come out Friday with bus legs. Also don't know if anyone noticed but we held on to a two goal lead late on Saturday ha. Too soon to joke about it, I know. But it was great to see we not only cleaerf the puck but held possession in their zone when they had an extra attacker. I find it hard to believe the unh team is gonna mail it in like their fans but they'll definitely have their hands full with the hawks this weekend

Comment

And that weird word with deard or whatever should be the word cleared. Stupid phone

Comment

Finally found where Alex Gacek is playing and I have to tell you it kind of dissapointed me. He is playing in the EJHL and through 7 games he is tearing it up with 9 goals and 5 assists. I am guessing he wanted to stay closer to home this year but would of liked to of seen him in indy this year. No doubt he will be there next season, and could maybe go later in the year but I would expect some big numbers out of him in that league.

Comment

Yeah was disappointed seeing Alex not on indy roster since those kids pretty much get the Miami system in them before they even hit oxford. Is mullin with the SSm big kids this year. He should be a senior I think

Comment

Vermont is better than UNH, last year definitely and probably this year as well. And Maine may be out of the top of HE for a while, perhaps not unlike Michigan State for the time being in our own conference, but UNH not being in the top of the conference? Please. Obviously I don't mean they are 1 or 2 every year, but they're at the top still just as often as anyone or more. They still are one of the 3 schools in the conference (BC, BU, and UNH) with recruiting far above the other schools, it's just the system they play is very questionable, IMO. It can win them a good amount of regular season games, but they play way too far open, irresponsibly defensively (also they haven't had a real solid defenseman since the days of Garrett Stafford or even Tyson Teplitsky), and just not very good two-way hockey. Just ask any long-time UNH fan about their gripes with Umile and Borek.

The way UNH and Miami play are like night and day. I'll be interested to see how Miami adapts to Lake Whittemore and all the extra space. They're so good along the boards that they don't really need the space, but anything along the boards or corners should and I bet will be largely won by Miami. UNH was never really good at that last year as well, and started off especially slow. They looked absolutely awful in November last year, dropping some easy games, and then heated up some, but then again, they've started strong multiple times before and then faded down the stretch, so it's hard to know what kind of team they're going to be.

Miami looked almost at peak form this weekend in shutting down the attack, eliminating prime scoring chances, and in general making life difficult moving the puck for St. Cloud. UNH's offense, for what is usually a high-powered one (actually they set up similarly to St Cloud), is very blah in the way they advance the puck. They have lots of skill, but the offensive system and plan usually doesn't look good this early in the season. They're not nearly as technical in anything they do as the Redhawks are. I see them having lots of problems against the Miami defense.

And I know we need tempered expectations, especially on the road, OOC, and early in the season, but these are the only two teams in the country I can really say I know a good amount about, and match-up wise, the Redhawks come out with a heavy advantage. I'd definitely want more than a split, and I'd be somewhat surprised if we couldn't bring home all 4 points. Obviously anything can change in a beat though. Miami would find it useful to strike early; the Whittemore crowd is always up and rowdy right off the bat and loud, but once a goal is scored against them, they quiet down from there. I'll be rooting this week for the Red and White from Sec. 112. Anyone else making the trip out east and shacking up in the visitor's corner of the Whit?

Comment

I'm hoping the offence gets more production this weekend we missed quite a few open nets this weekend and I'm not talking about when lee was pulled. I'm also hoping we are flying cuz I don't wanna come out Friday with bus legs. Also don't know if anyone noticed but we held on to a two goal lead late on Saturday ha. Too soon to joke about it, I know. But it was great to see we not only cleaerf the puck but held possession in their zone when they had an extra attacker. I find it hard to believe the unh team is gonna mail it in like their fans but they'll definitely have their hands full with the hawks this weekend
                        Team will be flying.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat4life View Post
                          Vermont is better than UNH, last year definitely and probably this year as well. And Maine may be out of the top of HE for a while, perhaps not unlike Michigan State for the time being in our own conference, but UNH not being in the top of the conference? Please. Obviously I don't mean they are 1 or 2 every year, but they're at the top still just as often as anyone or more. They still are one of the 3 schools in the conference (BC, BU, and UNH) with recruiting far above the other schools, it's just the system they play is very questionable, IMO. It can win them a good amount of regular season games, but they play way too far open, irresponsibly defensively (also they haven't had a real solid defenseman since the days of Garrett Stafford or even Tyson Teplitsky), and just not very good two-way hockey. Just ask any long-time UNH fan about their gripes with Umile and Borek.

The way UNH and Miami play are like night and day. I'll be interested to see how Miami adapts to Lake Whittemore and all the extra space. They're so good along the boards that they don't really need the space, but anything along the boards or corners should and I bet will be largely won by Miami. UNH was never really good at that last year as well, and started off especially slow. They looked absolutely awful in November last year, dropping some easy games, and then heated up some, but then again, they've started strong multiple times before and then faded down the stretch, so it's hard to know what kind of team they're going to be.

Miami looked almost at peak form this weekend in shutting down the attack, eliminating prime scoring chances, and in general making life difficult moving the puck for St. Cloud. UNH's offense, for what is usually a high-powered one (actually they set up similarly to St Cloud), is very blah in the way they advance the puck. They have lots of skill, but the offensive system and plan usually doesn't look good this early in the season. They're not nearly as technical in anything they do as the Redhawks are. I see them having lots of problems against the Miami defense.

And I know we need tempered expectations, especially on the road, OOC, and early in the season, but these are the only two teams in the country I can really say I know a good amount about, and match-up wise, the Redhawks come out with a heavy advantage. I'd definitely want more than a split, and I'd be somewhat surprised if we couldn't bring home all 4 points. Obviously anything can change in a beat though. Miami would find it useful to strike early; the Whittemore crowd is always up and rowdy right off the bat and loud, but once a goal is scored against them, they quiet down from there. I'll be rooting this week for the Red and White from Sec. 112. Anyone else making the trip out east and shacking up in the visitor's corner of the Whit?
                          Nice book....

Miami is far from peaked, their defense is ahead of their offense right now and is why you saw two low scoring games.

UNH is not in the top 3 anymore in hockey east. Vermont has been on the move up in the last 4 years really and UNH has been going the other direction. They had a nice year last year but I would put Vermont ahead of UNH.

Now with that said, I like the fact that Miami is playing a good OOC series on the big ice. Miami has great team speed and will be able to keep up with UNH. I think UNH will have a harder time adjusting to Miami than vice versa. I do however have some concerns defensively with the bigger surface. It worked out in the tournament last year, but some of those guys aren't the best skaters back their.

You are aiming way to high expecting a sweep. Its a good program in a hostile environment with revenge factor in mind. A split will be very good here and is what we should be looking for. If they sweep its a bonus but you can't expect a sweep on the road at a program like UNH. This team still has some things they have to work out and will continue to get better but a split for me is a successful trip.

Comment

UNH is gonna be battling it out for that 5th/6th place finish with Northeastern, I really don't consider that to be elite HEA when its a 10 team league. They've had a good track record with NCAA appearances, but I think they miss out this year unless they win the HEA tourney.

Comment

And kinda disconcerning, but I can't find Mullin anywhere. He's not listed on any of the SSM rosters, and Heisenberg has him linked to the wrong player (Jimmy Murray of Omaha Lancers). I don't know where he wound up, but hopefully it's with a junior team somewhere. I read some article about major teams hoping to get him in their draft.

Comment

And kinda disconcerning, but I can't find Mullin anywhere. He's not listed on any of the SSM rosters, and Heisenberg has him linked to the wrong player (Jimmy Murray of Omaha Lancers). I don't know where he wound up, but hopefully it's with a junior team somewhere. I read some article about major teams hoping to get him in their draft.
                                yea, but we would of heard if he went to major juniors. Plus his education is important to him. His rights are owned by Fargo so if he isn't there I would think he would be at shattuck otherwise according to sources.

Comment

Working...
                                X